Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I am going to post pics of my pond being dug and post pics and updates as it progresses, as of now has been getting worked on for 5 days. Enjoy the pics and I look forward to your pics and comments!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A
Online Content
A
My east Texas pond project has gone nowhere for 2 1/2 months -- too wet! -- so it is good to see dirt being moved. Good luck and keep us posted! grin

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

W
W
I bet you are excited!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
M
Go man go

OP Offline
Oh yea!! I am gathering stuff up for structure now so I can start placing it soon as they are done, from the springs and the rain water flowing in, looks like my pond will fill up quick. Kepp checking back for updated pictures!

How big of pond will this be when it is done?

My pond renovation thread here
OP Offline
Just over a acre BLUE

OP Offline
Now that is a lot of dirt!!

L
L
Exciting progress :-)

I subscribe!
T
T
This is awesome! How big is your property? I wanted an acre but everyone scoffed when I mentioned it because I only have 12 acres.

OP Offline
it`s 10.5 acres, smaller than your place Griff

T
T
Damn, I knew I should have gone bigger...Now I want an acre!

OP Offline
Yea I still have plenty of property left, in the pics where the pond is, you are only seeing the back right corner of it. Basic math
10.5 - 1 = 9.5 acres that's still plenty of land for every thing else. I live out in the woods though and no other houses around, so I don't know if that comes into play or not.

C
CMM Offline
C
The Griff,

I have just over 4 acres of water (one 4 acres pond and one .25 acre mini pond) on just 18 acres of land smile If I could have flooded everything except the house I would have. Or maybe I would have bought a house boat!

Dinsmore,

looks like you are having fun. When it is done, you will be able to look at product you did yourself. May you have many happy memories.

CMM

CMM

OP Offline
Hey guys! I know it been months but they have had problems finding people to buy the dirt coming out of my pond so they stopped digging, BUT I got to see what water quality I would have when it filled up and it is beautiful!! Also they have started digging again!! so I hope yall enjoy the pics and would love to hear your feedback.

Last edited by Dinsmoreoutdoors; 10/01/15 06:20 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Dins, that last pic could be a postcard or a promo photo for a land development project. Congratulations and thanks for posting the pics and bringing us up to date.
The Griff, let em scoff, I have a 1/4 acre pond and have had 8 yrs of grandkids havin fun and friends askin to come over.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gonna be pretty neat

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors
Oh yea!! I am gathering stuff up for structure now so I can start placing it soon as they are done, from the springs and the rain water flowing in, looks like my pond will fill up quick. Kepp checking back for updated pictures!

Good for you. Many of us know the excitement of our first pond.

For those of us that don't know our trees what kind of trees are those around the pond?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/02/15 05:18 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, up kinda late aren't ya?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Cecil, up kinda late aren't ya?

I wish!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

For those of us that don't know our trees what kind of trees are those around the pond?

Thoughs are long needle pine trees

OP Offline
Hey guy they got a lot of water drained out so I wanted to put up some more pics while I can. oh and measured it out to day. It is 136ft wide and 320ft long

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Are'nt those Long Needle Pines home to a special woodpecker that is/was on the endangered list? Also are they more popular in the northern portion of the state?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Thoughs are long needle pine trees

Thanks. Seen quite a few in my travels in the south.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/03/15 03:40 AM.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Are'nt those Long Needle Pines home to a special woodpecker that is/was on the endangered list? Also are they more popular in the northern portion of the state?

Bob there are millions of them, the land I live on was once paper company land, and they farm thoughs pine trees every for pulp wood. So no probs there

F
F
How deep will it be and what are you going to stock? It is beautiful. Congrats.!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
OP Offline
thank you! it will be 30ft roughly in the deepest part, and I plan on stocking Fat head minnows, golden shinners, blue gill, shell cracker, a few channel cats and the main fish im wanting to grow Large mouth bass. I cant wait to get home and start setting up stucture. currently stuck over in Africa while the pond is being dug

Last edited by Dinsmoreoutdoors; 10/20/15 12:27 PM.

R
RER Offline
R
Man 30 Ft is gona be nice, not many ponds in FL are that deep.
You going to use a bottom difuser aeration to keep the bottom oxygenated?

perhaps some of the experts can chim in but its seems Threadfin Shad would be an easily sourced aditional forage fish to stock and the Bass would love them.... Crayfish and fresh water grass shimp would add to a well balanced forage base too. I have loads of them and am willing to share , but they are pretty easily sourced locally too.

the FHM are great for jump starting the system but typically are gonna disapear only leaving the CNBG and the GSH.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 10/20/15 08:05 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
So kinda hard to tell from pics I guess is it more shaped like a channel/creek? It's 3 times as long as it is wide so I am assuming it is like what we would call an oxbow here... not so wide but long? Would love to see a pic from above! Looks pretty cool though congrats!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
OP Offline
yea was planning on adding crawfish, and yes a bottom aerator to keep the water circulated. RC51 they still have a lil bit wider to go but yes longer than it is wide, the are digging it so deep because they want as much hard pan as they can get

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Before they finish, have them taper the shoreline 4:1 out to a few feet of water depth, then they can go 3:1 out to 6'-8' depth, then 2:1 if the soil will hold that slope. If it's sandy soil, it usually won't stay in place if the slope is steeper than 3:1.

Have the dirt above the waterline 4:1 or less steep to make getting to the water easier.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RER Offline
R
Just curious , what is the "hardpan" and what might it be used for?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
OP Offline
Bobby its that red to almost black looking dirt we have here in North FL, when it compacts its hard as a rock, they use it for driveways and added foundations for homes if you look in the pics its the really dark dirt and what looks like rocks

What you guys down in Florida call a pond, in New Mexico, we'd call a lake. Holy Cow! Amazing. It just fills in from rain and it is that clear? Incredible.

Going sustainable.. how's that working for ya?
OP Offline
Well BBoss I have small springs that fill it up too

OP Offline
Got my folks to take some pics of the pond while im gone here are the lastest pics of the pond. the length is done but they have a lil wider to go, if you look in some of the pics you will see a pine tree with orange tape on it or in the first piture its by the yellow loader, that is the goal width of the pond. Look forward to hearing you questions and comments!! enjoy the photos!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the pond is a groundwater pond, and the water level will fluctuate a couple of feet, taper the banks to a more gradual slope to allow walking down and mowing down to the water's edge as it recedes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
+1 To add to what Esshup stated, my experience is that gradual slope and water level change inherent with a water table pond can work to your advantage. When spring spawn time comes around and the spring rains raise the level, that vegetation on those gently sloping banks gets submerged. Prime habitat for plankton and new spawn.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/02/15 08:01 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
OP Offline
The banks are going to be sloped more, the are just doing the general digging out right now, once they get all the dirt they want out they are going to go around it with a dozer for the finish work and sloping of the bank so good there :-)

OP Offline
any one know a good and cheap grass seed to put around a new pond like mine?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's a science to getting grass to take. You have to keep the seed moist, and plant no deeper than 1/8" or so. Renting a grass drill is the best way to do it, but before you have the seed down get your sprinkling system dialed in. Once the grass starts to germinate, every time it dries out I was told that you lose 50% of it.

Rye seed is cheap and good. I would find the best grass seed for your area of the country, seed at the recommended rate, and add 50%-75% of the recommended seeding rate of Rye grass too. Rye will pop up in a few days if conditions are right, then it will help keep moisture in the soil for the other grass seeds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

N
N
Marvelous! Just amazing work, I really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing.

We had amazing success with throwing down fescue and winter wheat, and then covering with straw. We have very thick fescue all around the pond, including the dam.
I never watered it, but I did fertilize. I reseeded again the next spring.
The winter wheat came up strong, and attracted turkeys all summer.
The toughest part was spreading the straw over all the seed, but it made the difference. Where we did not put straw, we had very little grass.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 12/24/15 09:09 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
D
D
REally like the idea of putting straw on top of the seeding.

We found that if you have a way to spread the seed yon can then just drag a chain with a 4 wheeler with a spreader bar. Just dragging the chain was enough to get the seed covered and take really well.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
H
H
I seed then dust over it with peat moss and mist it down well, so it's saturated, but not washed off. The surface may look dry afterwards... But underneath where the seeds are stays moist. I'll bet you could grow grass on asphalt like this. Had a friend get a big landscaping project done a few years ago. The contractor said there was no sense in trying to establish seed until fall, once that hot dry summer weather was gone. He came back a couple weeks later to finish a wall and was amazed to see the new lawn well established with almost no rain in that time. Adding rye is great too. It establishes VERY quickly, the roots help hold everything together until the grass grows and it helps a lot by shading everything, really helps keep the ground from drying out.

Last edited by Hollywood; 12/24/15 11:21 AM.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
J
J
Setter is the green pipe part of a siphon system for the pond?

Originally Posted By: JDMahindra
Setter is the green pipe part of a siphon system for the pond?

It's just an overflow pipe. In retrospect, I wish I'd never put it in. I have spillways on both ends of the dam, but the guy from the government thought I needed a pipe also.
I didn't know about the true siphon systems when we put it in. It just angles down from front to back. It collects water before the grass spillways do. I've never had water go over the grass spillways and really only had it coming out of the pipe a few times.
We put seep collars on it, but it has leaked along side the pipe when the pipe was almost under. Not a good situation. I've packed bentonite around the pipe entrance. I'll know if it works pretty soon. We had rain yesterday, and are supposed to get rain the next three days. I'll know Sunday if it's leaking. Pain in the backside to do a proper repair. Expensive too.
The other side.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 12/24/15 03:08 PM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
Appreciate the response
also appreciate your insite on the drain pipe issues

I have just finished excavating our pond and now working towards installing a siphone system.
Would post some pics but not sure how too from an android phone

K
K
Looks good. I can tell by the pictures you hired someone that knows what they are doing! It's a lot more expensive when you hire someone that doesn't. haha. This is a tough time of year to dig ponds. Where about are you located?

OP Offline
K im in the very North east corner of FL im only a 15 min to GA. They have been diggin since May so almost a year now, digging isn`t the problem though, finding folks to buy the dirt to get it off the land is! thats why it is taking them so long. Only takes them like 3 days to dig and put up the dirt, takes them forever to haul it out!

OP Offline
Hey guys! got my folks to go by the pond and take some pics for me and get me a update. So all the stocked piled dirt is gone now, which means time to dig for the last time!!! If you look at the pics the rough long edge away from the wood line is the last bit they need to dig out and then they will go around the edge with a dozer for the finish work. Cant wait for them to be done so I can get to work!! in the mean time look how blue my water is!!! would be a awesome swimming pond to bad im gonna be raising bass lol.

H
H
That looks awesome! Your water is that beautiful blue/green color because of the color of your soil. It absorbs the red/yellow from the light that enters and reflects back the other end of the spectrum, blue & green. Looks beautiful!

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
OP Offline
thank you! never knew that why it had that color because it trapped the light. GOOD NEWS!!! was told they started digging again today!!!

L
L
I believe iron in the water will also provide this color, for the same reasons.

H
H
thank you! never knew that why it had that color because it trapped the light. GOOD NEWS!!! was told they started digging again today!!!

My smallest pond has similar soil color and also has similar looking water color. We have a glacial lake not far from here named Green lake. It has a 10-15' thick layer of red algae about 50 feet deep which creates the same effect, red is absorbed from the light that enters and the result is brilliant green looking water. Look forward to your "after" pics!

Last edited by Hollywood; 03/15/16 02:54 PM.

Pond Boss subscriber

OP Offline
GREAT NEWS!!! they started digging again! got a couple pics from a couple days ago. I was told they pulled the pump and they should be finished this week!!!! Leave some comments guys let me know yalls thoughts!

R
RER Offline
R
get some FHM planted

Dinsmore O,
Nice project you have here. Gonna be a beautiful place when everything greens up around it. Keep posting pics of your progress.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
OP Offline
GREAT NEWS!!!! She is all done!!! well dug out that is anyway. I might go around on the back hoe and add my own touches. So what do yall think?!?!? let me know what ya think of the grade. Can`t wait to get home and start placing cover and build the dock!! look forward to see yalls comments! enjoy the pics!

Looks fantastic!....

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
C
Your measurements in one of your first posts above for width and length are pretty unique. They equal .9991 acres, or a perfect acre. That is one talented surveyor! Neat project and great looking pond!

M
mpc Offline
M
Hi DIns, Great looking pond and I read all the posts. Thanks for all the great pics. That will be a spectacular pond. Get part is you can kick on a feeder and a aeration system and probably never turn it off. Your bass will really like what you did depth wise. Your states red CNBG and Florida strain CNBG will really feed whatever bass you stock. I am sure you have read that the CC will get hook shy and not bite in short order. The CC will end up being pets to feed, but good luck on them anyway.

I did not see you state what type of structure you plan on using. Do you know just yet?

Keep us informed as you can and thanks again for the ground up view of your pond. I will be reading with Happy fishes wish for you.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
OP Offline
I will be planting bald cypress trees, lily pads, cork screw eel grass, standing timber, pallet towers, stumps and log piles, rip rap and rock piles, semi tires filled with sand and gravel for CNBG beds, and large bedding areas with Pea gravel

A
A
Any updated pics on how this bad boy turned out after cleaning up and filling?

OP Offline
sorry Aggiehorns for such a late reply yea I need to get on that im about 4 to 5ft from full pool havnt gotten the steady afternoon rain this year, but have been taking advantage of the lower water to place structure and spawning areas

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
wow that's pretty...love the tree backdrop...you shouldn't have much of an FA problem with all those steep banks...I wish mine were steeper...keep posting pictures

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
So how wide is this pond it doesn't look very wide to me or is that just the pic? Is there a reason for your shape? Looks great don't get me wrong but just wondering if you built from scratch why so narrow? Or like I said maybe it just looks narrow??

RC

Ok I think I got it. First pics look great bottom pics look like pond is only at half pool. So not a narrow as I thought I guess.

Last edited by RC51; 11/01/16 07:09 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
OP Offline
RC it is 140 wide by 320 long, have it that way for property reasons.

A
A
Very pretty Dinsmore!

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.
OP Offline
It aint that color anymore Aighead lol. I need to take updated pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails