Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,418
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Bobbss, esshup, Boondoggle), 754 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am building a 1 acre pond in central Indiana in the summer of 2015. The pond will be 13' deep max with average depth of 5-6” Fish desired, Perch/Walleye/Redear sunfish/Hybrid striped bass. Goals for pond are perch to eat and Striped bass for fun, walleye as predator, redear sunfish for parasites.
I plan to feed and provide aeration
Plan:
Stock 20# FHM the fall of 2015
Stock 350 6-8” perch and 50 redear sunfish in the spring of 2016
Stock 25-30 7-9” walleye and 30 8-10” Hybrid Striped Bass in fall of 2016
Harvest walleye when they reach 16-19” to preserve larger perch.
Harvest approximately 50 perch fall/winter of 2016 and 100-150 perch/year in the following years.
I would really appreciate the opinions and suggestions of this forum of my stocking and harvest plan.
Thanks!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am in west-central Indiana and am mid-stock of a 1 acre pond intended to support SMB. I have so far stocked GSH, RES, FHM, and YP. I recently added more YP because the YP eggs that I saw were not fertilized. I will be interested in how your pond develops. I have had great advice from professionals on this site. Please post pictures as you build your pond. I am also curious who you are having build you pond and how that works out.

Last edited by RAH; 04/25/15 08:08 AM.
Delete

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/27/15 06:27 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do plan of pellet feeding the YP and HSB?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Yes I plan on feeding and providing aeration.

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for your reply Bill. I am planning on feeding, but I thought it would be nice to add the FHM this fall to get things started. Do you think I should add something like golden shiners or rosy reds in addition to the FHM?

Delete - Subsequent posts indicate this post was of no value

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/26/15 08:45 PM.

[Linked Image]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Great sounding fishery plan - several of us have something similar. It's evident you've been researching threads on the forum to formulate this plan - well done!

Few things to consider:

FHM and YOY YP/RES will not provide enough forage for HSB/WE/YP. FHM population will likely be extirpated within a few months, maybe sooner, once predators population attains gape to utilize them as forage. So, we need a backup plan.

Considering your geography I think sourcing BNM [bluntnose minnow], SFS [spotfin shiner], and LCS [lake chubsucker] would be easier than it is for us in NE. A combination of these fish would provide a multilayer forage base but will need a year to establish depending on density of stocking. Wait until these species have spawned at least once successfully prior to stocking YP, WE, or HSB.

Worst case scenario [and it's not a bad scenario], you can considering GSH to serve as primary forage. In my personal experience, they do compete with my YP for pellets being much more aggressive and schooling in nature - but others on the forum have NOT reported this issue - so it may be unique to my fisheries. Don't take this as a rule - either way - your experience may vary. Regardless, GSH will help keep WE and HSB fed. You may need to supplementally stock GSH annually to help keep reproducing fish present - per Cody aging adult females can develop ovarian[?] issues impacting their reproductive capabilities. GSH are easy to source so periodic stocking shouldn't be an issue. Stock fish in the 3-4" range so they don't suffer immediate predation.

I agree to implement pellet feeding program to help boost performance of YP and HSB, simultaneously relieving some pressure off the forage base. Keep diligent length/weight measurements and read the fishery - it will tell you what adjustments need to be made to your strategy. Be prepared for the following: You may find you need to ladder stock YP if there's no recruitment due to YP/HSB/WE predation; you may need to supplementally stock GSH if numbers are dwindling and WE body conditions are declining; or even boost RES if you notice black or yellow grub presence in fishery. Again, the pond will relate to you what it needs with these signs - and we can help you interpret them and provide direction for you to consider.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks teehjaeh57 for the reply and compliment, I appreciate that.
Do you think that cutting the number of walleye and HSB to 10-15 each would be a better number, since my primary goal is to have YP to harvest and reproduce, with the walleye and HSB mainly as my predators to keep the YP from over populating? Or would I be better off adding the other forage fish you mentioned?
Initially I was concerned that I would have an abundance of young YP each year, but it sounds like I may not have enough.
Should I also consider modifying my harvest plan for the YP?

Delete

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/27/15 06:25 AM.

[Linked Image]
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Rooted vegetation [macrophytes] will impact your YP recruitment significantly - if it's abundant and dense, recruitment is more likely to be successful with cover available for YOY YP to escape predation. Since it's a new pond, this is an unknown factor currently.

Long range plan: If you can exercise some patience [which is very hard to do I totally understand] I would recommend sourcing species of forage identified above in sufficient numbers to allow for several breeding pairs, wait until they have reproduced at least once, then move on to stocking the other species. Stocking the RES now would not likely impact your forage base establishment efforts, but you can certainly wait on them, too.

Short range plan: You can stock RES and YP immediately [this year] along with GSH and FHM, then stock the WE/HSB as early as this Fall or next season [probably better]. Either plan will work, or something in between, but I prefer the long range approach - but it all depends on your personal preferences.

Initially at least, I think the predators will have an advantage on YP YOY due to lack of dense vegetation - but over time this will change depending on how you manage the pond [how much rooted vegetation you allow to grow]. You can always adjust population of HSB and WE through harvest if you're not seeing any YP recruitment, and supplementally stock either species if you're seeing too much YP recruitment or you can manage the % of vegetation making YP predation easier. Many ways to manage...really comes down to what your goals are. You should be constantly making observations and reading the cues of your fishery and make adjustments to your strategy. Don't lose too much sleep on initial stocking numbers, because the fishery will dictate what you need to do regarding harvest or stocking down the road. If you feel better nudging the initial stocking of HSB and WE down, by all means go for it and invest that capital into a few more LCS, BNM or SFS. If YP go crazy, stock some WE or HSB down the road, the YP fishery will respond accordingly.

1 AC fishery is easy to manage and overcome issues in a short period of time if you make an error here or there. Remember, trying new things and failing is science/knowledge - and I'd say I'm only right 25% of the time on new experiments on my ponds.

Definitely plan on feeding the YP, and consider implementing aeration at some point - aerating a 1 ac pond is affordable and you can follow several members' plans for a DIY system.

If a forage pond is an option for you per Bill, I would surround your primary pond with 3-4 small cells [approx 1,000 sq ft or smaller or larger] that can drain directly into the pond via gate valve. You could use them as reproduction cells for specialty forage like LCS, SPS, BNM or Grass Shrimp - or use them for grow out ponds for your YP, or use them as experimental ponds hybridizing fish. I've done all these things, it's a blast and helps save a lot of money down the road AND adds a ton of science to the forum - which benefits the entire community.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Looks like most is covered but I 'll throw in my half cent. I stocked fatheads and shiners 1 year before perch and now entering the third year, both minnows are doing well and the perch have exploded, size wise. I do have a forage pond from which if needed, I can move minnows to keep the pond going with forage for the perch. I do not feed perch other than minnows at this point.

My other pond is Walleye, SMB and catfish. So far, I couldn't be happier with the outcome. After 4 years of forage and entering year 3 of predators, fatheads struggling but shiners still doing well. I went real low on stocking numbers 25 walleye and 40 SBM for my 1.33 pond. SBM spawned after 1 year in pond (2 yrs old) and are pushing 15 inches this spring. Walleye this spring have hit 16 inches and looking good. I like the lower numbers thought when stocking.

good luck

13 acres,
5 ponds 1 still working
FHM, Shiners, CC, SMB, WE, Yellow Perch
living the dream

Can't have everything...where would you put it?
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If your goal is mainly perch for harvest: "Harvest approximately 50 perch fall/winter of 2016 and 100-150 perch/year in the following years." Then I think you are stocking too few perch and too many predators per acre. I would consider making the perch 400-600/ac of two sizes: 4"-6" and 6"-8"; split 60:40 either way depending on how soon you want to have big perch for harvest. 60% 6"-8" will provide more larger per quicker but a little more expensive initially.

In a new weed free pond predators will crop all your minnow forage and then crop your recruitment of perch heavily thus requiring the supplemental annual stocking of YP as noted by TJ. If YP are really the main goal, I wouldn't stock any predators until you see excessive numbers of small YP 3"-5" feeding on pellets and they are not growing at 2" to 3" increase in length per year. Not growing or slow growing means too many perch. Adult pond spawned YP and not feeding on pellets will also eat some small YOY perch. A 10"-13" YP can easily eat 2"-3" YP. Each HSB-WE predator will significantly reduce the number of harvestable YP by 100-200 perch per year which is okay if you prefer having predators vs harvesting lots of perch. Predators are okay, they just reduce the harvestable amount of YP.

Advice for diversifying your forage fish is good and BNM and SFS can tolerate perch only predation but struggle to recruit with HSB and WE present depending on density of predator and amount of weed cover. Crayfish is also good in a perch pond. They provide additional food items and when common help with algae control which tends to be a problem in pellet fed ponds. Tilapia also can help in perch ponds to reduce algae problems. One amur (grass carp may help reduce weeds. Turbid water (12"-24") also helps reduce predation pressure on all species.

Create habitat for crayfish before the pond fills. Read the pond habitat posts by DonoBBD from Canada. This thread describes his pond. He has other threads that discuss his perch fishery, forage fish, and his crayfish.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=408650#Post408650

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/25/15 03:23 PM.

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Rah,
In answer to your question, "I am also curious who you are having build you pond and how that works out." - I found an excavator that was recommended by a friend. He was the only contractor that I talked to that liked the idea of a clay liner. I will let you know how it works out.

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I want to thank everyone for the advice, it has been very helpful.
I think that I will add additional types of forage fish, raise the number of YP to stock and wait on the walleye and HSB until they are needed to help with YP population.
I like the idea of the forage/sediment pond but the topography here is pretty flat with little change in elevation. This pond will be fully excavated.
Can't wait to get started!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Be careful that your contractor doesn't build you a leaker. I suggest that you do some reading in the Pond Building Section for the correct pond building methods for excavating and compacting clay soil. It is science and art. Fixing a leaker pond can cost as much or more that the initial construction.

Start by reading through threads in this link. Learn the proper techniques for soil excavation and soil compaction. Many dirt excavators do not know proper pond building and soil compaction techniques. You may have to guide your pond builder to get what you want. Or search for one that is very experienced. Read some of the leaky pond threads to get an education. It is apparent that lots of people pay to have a leaky pond.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92487#Post92487

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/25/15 09:39 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You've gotten advice from some of the most knowledgeable members here. Bill Cody isn't known as Dr. Perca for no reason... TJ has mastered growing all species in his pond to a quality if not trophy size.

If I may stress on thing, utilize the advice and be patient. Often times, being patient leads to faster results than trying to rush things in the long run... In a new pond, you have a virgin piece of water only once. Once the fish start going in, you cannot reverse things but for killing everything off.

I really like the idea of utilizing non-reproducing predators in smaller ponds. HSB and WE do not spawn in 99.9% of ponds and it would be closer to 99.9999% of ponds 1 acre or less in size. The nice thing about this is you can closely control predator numbers and thus control the way they affect fish populations in your pond.

In a new pond free of predatory fish, it doesn't take many forage fish to establish a population of this species. Most of my non-traditional forage fish species were established with 1 to 2 dozen of each variety. It's likely adding non-traditional forage fish species will not cause all your species to become world records, but having a diverse forage base will certainly help, especially if you manage your game fish numbers correctly.

Although obtaining non-traditional forage fish species can be difficult/expensive, like I said you only need a couple dozen and a little patience to get them established. If interested in trying to establish bluntnose minnows(BNM), spotfin shiners(SFS), lake chubsuckers(LCS) or other species, let me know and I can point you to a few sources for the species. With those species along with the YP and RES, I do not believe you will need to add GSH.

GSH are good in LMB ponds or ponds with SMB along with HSB and WE. Otherwise, they generally become too abundant, too large and compete with RES, YP and others for food and space and become obnoxious bait stealers.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Gary - I am still looking for a pond builder. It took 4 contractors to get my last one built. It turned out OK but was a stressful project. One of the builders that did an excellent job on the dam fix seemed like a good bet for my next pond, but he seems too busy to give me an estimate, so I think that I will not consider putting the pond in till next year, if I can find a contractor that gives me confidence. This pond will be in the woods, so that gives me more time to clear the basin.

I will be building a small forage/sediment pond in the next month or so, weather permitting. I will be stocking it with SFS and BNM. Any suggestions on spawning habitat for the SFS? I plan on providing FHM type habitat for the BNM.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/26/15 11:23 AM.

[Linked Image]
Any downside to spottail shiners as a third choice?

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
We do not know how dependably spottail shiners (not SFS) will spawn in a pond. Does anyone know of a pond where spottail shiners are thriving and positive that they are spottail shiners?. Spottails are normally river and lake inhabitants.

Spotfin shiners(SFS) are crevice spawners seeking cracks and crevices that are 1/8" to 3/16" wide. In the wild the spotfins usually seek tree bark that is peeling away form the trunk. In crevices 1/4" and wider the opening gets to be too wide of a crevice and is ignored by the spotfins. High production systems use artificial spawning devices for spotfins that are copies of or similar to hester dendy samplers.
http://www.hesterdendy.com/
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/image_gallery/details.php?image_id=1703&sessionid=eb4e832e58fada

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/01/15 11:09 AM.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
We do not know how dependably spottail shiners (not SFS) will spawn in a pond. Does anyone know of a pond where spottail shiners are thriving and positive that they are spottail shiners?. Spottails are normally river and lake inhabitants.

So sounds like no harm in trying. If I catch some spottails locally when trapping for minnows this summer, I will toss them in the forage pond. I will also post some pics so we can get a good ID on them. Know anything about required spawning habitat for spottails?

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
All my info about spottail spawning requirements would come from the literature. A good web search should give a good basis for spawning behavior of spotails. In my experience the spotfin shiner will be much more prolific spawners in a pond habitat than spottail shiners. In optimum conditions, spotfins are almost as prolific as FHM.

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
My pond has been filling and is about 1/3 acre in size and probably 8' deep (will be 1 acre and 13-14' deep when full). I was thinking of adding 20# of fathead minnows this month and I have a few questions.
1. Is this enough water for 20# of the FH minnows?
2. How difficult is it to hand sort 20# of FH minnows?
3. Would I be ok to also add the RES now or should I wait until next spring when I add the perch?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: GaryS
My pond has been filling and is about 1/3 acre in size and probably 8' deep (will be 1 acre and 13-14' deep when full). I was thinking of adding 20# of fathead minnows this month and I have a few questions.
1. Is this enough water for 20# of the FH minnows?

Definitely.

2. How difficult is it to hand sort 20# of FH minnows?

A LOT of work. It's often suggested to stock lower numbers of FHMs. You ensure there are no hitchhikers and they spawn like crazy anyway.

3. Would I be ok to also add the RES now or should I wait until next spring when I add the perch?

No reason to not stock them now, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails