Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, esshup, teehjaeh57, FishinRod, Brad346, Boondoggle), 848 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Corkman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hard to believe it looked like this on Feb. 6th.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Corkman, we've been getting some good rain here in VA the last few days. The pond is coming along nicely!

What county is the pond in?

If you haven't sourced your fish yet, I can point you in some good directions. Have you decided on the species you wish to stock and your final goals?

C
Corkman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hope to stock next month. I haven't committed to anyone as yet. I'm in Mecklenburg county VA/NC line. Suggest away please.

Minnows, RES, CNBG, for now LMB next year. I would like to add some put and take trout and HSB as well. I'm still not sure when I should do that though. This is all new to me. Pond will be 4 acres at full pool.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What are the goals for your fishery? Balanced, trophy panfish or trophy bass? Are you willing/planning to feed? Are you going to aeration?

C
Corkman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Trophy bass. I do want to feed. I don't have power at this time for aeration, but wouldn't mind once power becomes available.

C
Corkman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The above is assuming I can still put and take the trout and HSB.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You'll have no issue getting the HSB. The trout you'll have to travel a bit for, but they're fairly easily sourced as well.

This spring I'd stock 1600 of the smallest sized BG. I'd stock 400 RES. I'd also stock 8 pounds of FHM. You can source them here. http://www.seponds.com/schedule.php

This fall, you can make a day trip up to Zett's in WV or Perry Minnow Farm in Prince George and stock 4-6 pounds of GSH.

The following fall, you can stock 200 LMB. They can be sourced from the same place as you get the BG and RES. He sells both feed trained and non-feed trained LMB. Give him a call and have him hand select the fastest growing YOY LMB he has. Even if it means paying a bit more. You can also stock 50-100 HSB that fall. You can pick them up with the bass. He may even deliver all of them for little to no cost depending on how far your pond is from his route.

Then each fall you can ladder stock 50-100 HSB and if you wish, add trout. I find, 50 or so trout per acre if you plan to feed leads to great fishing. There are numerous trout farms within a days drive to choose from.

C
Corkman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you sir. You've laid that out so well I might not screw up. I really do appreciate that, it's exactly what I needed. I got some lime in the pond today. How long should I wait before I check my PH again? You are the second knowledgable person to recommend Southeast so I will be using them and they will be close to me mid-May. Is there a certain person I should talk to when I call? If there is anything else I need to do other than adding some structure before stocking I'm all ears. Thanks again for your help. Doug Biggs

F
F
Originally Posted By: Corkman
Hope to stock next month. I haven't committed to anyone as yet. I'm in Mecklenburg county VA/NC line. Suggest away please.

Minnows, RES, CNBG, for now LMB next year. I would like to add some put and take trout and HSB as well. I'm still not sure when I should do that though. This is all new to me. Pond will be 4 acres at full pool.

We are in same county - But my choices are not as great since our size is 1/4 acre.
JFYI there is a list of hatcheries on the Va game and fish website.
We have not stocked yet even though water is up to level for about 2 months but being new it drops again and then with rain back up. I am presuming thats natural with a new pond saturating the ground.
We are waiting for hatcheries crop of RES to hatch.
Choice is most likely going to be FHM, RES,BG and then CC and possibly HSB.
Good luck it looks like a nice one.
Tom

Last edited by FINnFUR; 04/24/15 06:46 AM.
C
Corkman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Tom great to hear from someone close by. I saw the list on vdgif site but after a little research I wasn't very impressed, but what do I know. Keep us posted on your pond and we can compare notes. Good Luck!

F
F
Perrys minnow farm in Windsor has almost all except the HSB and trout.
They have the RES but I'm waiting for the hatch.
Haven't bought pond stock from them but have bought a ton of eels for Striped bass bait
when I bay fished.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Corkman
Thank you sir. You've laid that out so well I might not screw up. I really do appreciate that, it's exactly what I needed. I got some lime in the pond today. How long should I wait before I check my PH again? You are the second knowledgable person to recommend Southeast so I will be using them and they will be close to me mid-May. Is there a certain person I should talk to when I call? If there is anything else I need to do other than adding some structure before stocking I'm all ears. Thanks again for your help. Doug Biggs

When you call ask for Brian.

You can check it in a couple months.

I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner