Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101
18,496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Don Kennedy, Augie, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Sunil, Shorthose, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Justin W, Drago), 809 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Setterguy, You should have plenty of residual Alum in the water to handle a considerable amount of fertilizer Phosphates. Absent a soil assay determining an exact application to target pH goal, Ag lime at about 3-5 ton per acre would definitely help everything water water terrestrial....

More seed would be a big plus, and add some in the soon-to-be-flooded pool area.

Even IF you get some FA growth this spring and summer, it is going to aid in growing your fingerlings we'll be stocking soon by providing oxygen and habitat for forage foods.

Consider using a low P or zero P fertilizer...

Thank you! I will get it done sometime in the next few weeks. (Right before the fish go in.) I just didn't want to do anything to damage the water quality, and harm fish.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
M
M
In the long run a good turf around the water will pay off. the better the grass is established the less erosion.

OP Offline
I'll be re-seeding, putting down lime, and fertilizing this wknd..
I'm sure the ice will be gone, but all the rain that's come thru in the last week, all of it "missed" my farm..

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
M
M
There is a product called--EROSION MATS--

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/19/15 06:52 AM. Reason: MIkes spellin
M
M
Let me try that again the mats are 8 feet wide and will cover about a 100 feet it has to be staked down. The roll is sold with the staples, They will guarantee the grass will grow and will prevent erosion. Cost about 30.00 dollars

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Mike Otto
Let me try that again the mats are 8 feet wide and will cover about a 100 feet it has to be staked down. The roll is sold with the staples, They will guarantee the grass will grow and will prevent erosion. Cost about 30.00 dollars

Thanks Mike, I used four big rolls initially, and they worked well. I've just got some weak spots and overall the new grass and wheat seem weak. It barely got started last fall, and is on solid clay covered by straw or mats. I just want to help it along, but I'm concerned with fertilizing around the pond, and what the subsequent washing of the fertilizer into the water will do. Rex is bringing in fish (GS, RES, YP, and SMB) in a few weeks. I put in FHM last summer. I don't know.. Does fertilizer getting into the water present a problem? If not, I'll quit worrying.
Thanks again.

Otter attack in 2023
M
M
Talk to Rex and see what he thinks. Bill Cody will sure know if you need to worry about that

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Just burned one of my prairies on red clay. Beautiful day for a burn with my daughter home from college, friends, and neighbors. Its all about understanding your soil, proper planning, patience, and a lot of work. Life is good!

Originally Posted By: RAH
Just burned one of my prairies on red clay. Beautiful day for a burn with my daughter home from college, friends, and neighbors. Its all about understanding your soil, proper planning, patience, and a lot of work. Life is good!

RAH, that's one of my favorite things to do. When it's safe to do of course.

SetterGuy, I fertilize the dam every year, and stick with a balanced low number fertilizer. Something like a cheap 10-10-10 mix. I apply it at half the recommended rate, and have never had any pond issues. I also concentrate on the upper half of the dam, because a certain amount will leach down with rain and watering.

AL

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Haven't had time to read entire thread but I had same problem. I threw down a clover/fescue mix and topped with straw. Didn't have watering problem. I then plugged Zoysia in the mix and it spreading like wild fire. Can't wait till it takes over. We have a seed company locally and will give you cull seed for next to nothing. Did not know this at my building time. A friend put around his pond so thick it practically mulched itself. Mainly weeds but got the problem solved. Those weeds really liked the clay.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
OP Offline
Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and fertilize with as light a fertilizer as I can find, and put it down lightly. I paid $$ last year for the alum treatment, to get the clay settled, and I don't want any more washing in there.
Looks like by the time I get back up there Sat, we will have had a inch of rain or so. I'm hoping there was some runoff. I'll see how clear the water is.
Be too muddy to spread fertilizer and seed though.. Have to wait.

Otter attack in 2023
M
M
You know this but----the better the cover---the less$$$ on alum

C
C
Having the same problem with my pond as well.I went with erosion mats all around the inside of my levee (900 feet) and it has paid dividends.Most likely will sod some areas over the top of the matts if the fescue doesn't get going very well

Attached Images
IMG_0123(1).JPG
Last edited by Chasin170; 03/19/15 01:01 PM.

"I Subscribe"
OP Offline
Just a quick follow up. I had to mow yesterday. The wheat is doing very well, it was shading the short fescue, so I set the mower as high as it would go.
Looks great. I'll take a pic next time I'm up there.

Otter attack in 2023
M
M
Yes let us send some pictures.

Mike,

I found these for sale at Home Depot for $44/each. Is this what you mean?

8 ft. x 112.5 ft. Polypropylene Single Net Straw Erosion Control Blanket

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-8-f...-1125/204268230

Do you just plant the seed then roll these over it?

I figure I will need at least 1500 ft.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/19/15 07:19 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
S
I live in Georgia where clay is a big problem. On all my dam areas and other high erosion areas I plant Lezpadeza. Lezpadeza will litterly almost grow in concrete and will proliferate and in some cases take over an area.

It is illegal in some states to plant Lezpadeza so you need to check with your local laws. In Georgia I use Kobe Lezpedza. Athen Seed company in Georgia will ship to most states I believe.

My typical procedure on new reclaimed forest areas of pine and clay is as follows:
1.) Let weeds come up first year and drop at least 2 tons lime on ground
2.) Plow/Rototill 2nd year
3.) Fertilize/Plant

I know this does not answer the original question but for those of you having problems with Clay look at Lezpadeza.

2.5 Acre Pond
OP Offline
Not a great pic, but it shows the wheat/fescue growth in the background (where I mowed.)
This was all planted late last summer, after the earth moving was completed.
I was up there all last week dumping lime, fertilizer, and more seed. I also cut some cedars for cover. At the end of the week, we had three days in the upper 70s. It seemed to grow an inch each day. I decided to mow Saturday morning, because I knew I'd be gone for a while. My concern was the fescue would receive no sun, if the wheat got too tall. I am probably way off base.
Right where I'm standing, when I took the picture, is where Rainman's boat trailer was parked, so I did not get it seeded very well. The straw mat is visible in the bare dirt though. I put down five of the mats.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
As a side note. I got two other cedar trees out in much deeper water. I used the canoe. This picture shows how far I could go out with my waders. Not very far with a 12' cedar. The water is still very cold. I tried to go out further without the waders. It's really cold. There's a million tadpoles everywhere, and the Fatheads are on the surface swirling around like mad. I don't know if it's a spawning thing, or they are eating something. I haven't thrown any feed in..

Last edited by SetterGuy; 04/19/15 09:04 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
M
M
Bill D That is the product.

plant the seed--- roll out the mat---you will be surprised how well it protects the bank. The grass will grow faster and better under it.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Swiss
I live in Georgia where clay is a big problem. On all my dam areas and other high erosion areas I plant Lezpadeza. Lezpadeza will litterly almost grow in concrete and will proliferate and in some cases take over an area.

It is illegal in some states to plant Lezpadeza so you need to check with your local laws. In Georgia I use Kobe Lezpedza. Athen Seed company in Georgia will ship to most states I believe.

My typical procedure on new reclaimed forest areas of pine and clay is as follows:
1.) Let weeds come up first year and drop at least 2 tons lime on ground
2.) Plow/Rototill 2nd year
3.) Fertilize/Plant

I know this does not answer the original question but for those of you having problems with Clay look at Lezpadeza.

There are many Lespedeza species; They're legumes. Slender Lespedeza is a very beneficial plant and great for deer, rabbit and quail also...Sericia Lespedeza is banned most everywhere. It was first introduced by state Highway departments as ground cover and for erosion control. Also thought originally to be a good food source for deer, quail and rabbit, but the plant has toxic tannins and is very invasive....seeds can last over 100 years in the soil. Missouri will cost share to eradicate it, but if the ground is ever disked or tilled, some of the old seeds will germinate each time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill D That is the product.

plant the seed--- roll out the mat---you will be surprised how well it protects the bank. The grass will grow faster and better under it.

The only thing I have to add is make sure to stake the mat down. I stake it about every 2' to 3' along the edges. I've had wind roll up mats that were staked further apart. mad

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Couple of pics that show good grass/wheat growth, and one pic (back of the dam) that shows less than stellar, growth. Meanwhile, our drought continues,, but there is hope storms expected for Saturday. (Naturally, Rainman is bringing in fish Saturday, whew!)

Otter attack in 2023
S
S
Nice Pictures, looks like it is coming in slowly. Get a pump hooked up and put the water to it from the pond smile

2.5 Acre Pond
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Swiss
Nice Pictures, looks like it is coming in slowly. Get a pump hooked up and put the water to it from the pond smile

I've been thinking about that. I'm hoping that the K31 will grow, no matter what. I don't have elec there, so I'd have to get a gas powered pump. Plus, I'm still needing 4' to get the pond full. I don't like seeing the water level drop. It's weird, just me..

Otter attack in 2023
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM