Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I'm also trying Rangen, I am seeing good results and will know after this summer.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I picked up five bags of 500, five of 600 and one of 400 this week. Backorder on the Largemouth. Didn't seem to be any issue getting it.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Looking at the Rangen website, I'm curious which feed to get for SMB, YP, and RES?
Koi food?
Thx

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
A
A
Rangen has a production facility in Angleton, just south of Houston, Texas. From what I could tell, their rainbow trout mix looks like it would put weight fast on BG, as it is high in protein and fat.

Don't know how costs compare with Aquamax, but if it is all comparable that would be a big plus. Always good to have competition.

Still would like to hear more about the new stuff in Pennsylvania that enhances fish growth, eating, and even life expectancy. cool

Last edited by anthropic; 04/18/15 03:43 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Still waiting on my Skretting. No fault of the company, but FedEx has some rather curious delivery procedures.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
C
I'm curious why dog food would not serve as a source of protein and fat for fish?

My brother who researched various types of dog food felt that one of the highest protein and fat dog foods is made by Diamond Naturals. IT is sold through specialty pet stores and through the Menards chain.

I found their Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete ($.75/pound) has:
Chicken and rice formula specifically formulated with optimal levels of protein and fat to fuel your hard-working dog
Also designed to meet the needs of growing puppies and pregnant or nursing dogs
Made with 32% protein and 25% fat for balanced nutrition
Contains glucosamine and chondroitin to promote proper joint health
Balanced omega fatty acids promote healthy skin and coat

They also have a Diamond Naturals Hi-Energy Sporting Dog ($.46/pound) has:

Increase levels of vitamins and trace minerals for active sporting and hunting dogs
Made with 24% protein and 20% fat for balance and increased energy
Chelated minerals are more readily absorbed for excellent nutrition
Naturally preserved for freshness and taste

So dog food has in some cases as much protein as premium fish food but seems to have more fat (maybe this is why it is bad for fish?)

Probably the pellet size is a drawback for small fish but maybe if they pick away at the pellet as it softens, or you presoften it I wonder how things would go?

Just curious!

S
S
32% would be on the low end of the scale for fish. 32 would be catfish food. A lot of the pond owners are using feeds in excess of 40% protein.

32% fish food runs around .40 per pound.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I finally got my AM600 this Saturday. It took about 4 weeks, but I got it. I usually can get my stuff from this guy in 2 weeks so just fyi it is taking a bit longer for sure!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
snrub #408566 04/20/15 07:46 AM
C
C
Originally Posted By: snrub
32% would be on the low end of the scale for fish. 32 would be catfish food. A lot of the pond owners are using feeds in excess of 40% protein.

32% fish food runs around .40 per pound.

Does the higher fat content in dog food pose any problems for fish?

D
D
I believe 20-25% lipids would be a problem for fish. Recall some papers saying there's an upper limit. If work isn't too swamped today may go see if I can find them again. Seems like max 16% rattles in the back of my brain.

edit: Yup, we've been over this:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=400263

Last edited by DNickolaus; 04/20/15 08:05 AM. Reason: add prior thread
C
C
Thanks, that helps. I did find some articles indicating fat deposition in the gut of fish, liver too.

I'm checking with our local coop too.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The Skretting is here. And thanks to the incredible generosity of a good friend here on the forum, I received an additional two bags. Many thanks!

Looking forward to trying this stuff out.

S
S
Generally speaking food made specifically for a certain species is going to be formulated best for that species.

On the other hand, it makes a lot of difference if a person is only hand feeding a small portion of the fish total diet mostly for entertainment purposes, or if the fish is in a tank and totally dependent on that food for survival. If a person is only hand feeding a small amount of the fishes total diet, lots of different things can be used. Heck BG and GSF love to eat bread torn up in small pieces. But bread is very low in protein and I imagine is a very poor feed for the fish. But a few slices of bread torn up in bits and thrown into the pond is not going to change much in the scheme of things and is exciting for kids to do. But I would bet if a person got up to the level of ten pounds of bread per acre per day (ten pounds is a number Bill Cody had told me that if exceeded could easily run into water problems so that is why I chose that number for an example) it would not be a good thing.

So if I had some dog food on hand and no other feed and wanted to see if the fish would eat some for entertainment purposes, I would throw a little in. But I doubt it would be the best for the fish or the most economical food source for the fish on a sustained basis.

I bet your local farm Coop will have 32% catfish food. After learning what I have here on PBF, it is not the best fish food in the world but I bet it is better than alternatives made for other species of animals. And it is pretty reasonable in price. It is what I have fed mostly because it is what is readily available, and my fish have seem to have done pretty well, at least by my standards. That said, I am attempting to get some higher quality feed and currently have some 36% "Sportfish" feed. But the 32% catfish food will work, at least for supplemental recreational feeding. And you can get it at about any farm supply store.

Last edited by snrub; 04/20/15 09:51 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
C
Thanks Snrub. I will check my local tractor supply and another store that I need to stop in at (Family Farm and Home I think it is called?) There is a local farmers coop that I think has to order it but I'm checking.

yes, totally for fun for the kids. I'll use up my bag of 3.5mm steelhead food and then see what else is easy to get and affordable.

I don't mind giving the fish a treat and helping them from time to time but i really want to know what it takes to sustain naturally too. I'd like to see how the fish balance out the crayfish population for example...or the snails for that matter.

I'd love to hear from the many mechanical/inventor geniuses on this board how I could adapt a light and fan into something that would knock down the bugs at night as an alternate (and around here almost unlimited) source of protein. I think I can make a little rain shield/hood and get a light fixture in it but I'm wondering if I had a plastic filament going around like a weed whacker if it would be horizontal oriented motion below the light or above the light, or maybe vertical oriented motion, maybe a shaft with 2 vertical oriented monofilament propellers so that the bugs will be propelled down into the water on each side of the fan? I have access to computer cooling fans which might be adaptable to having some monofilaments added or the blades removed, etc.

Does anyone know if it is the light that attracts the bug or the heat or both? Is there a color light that is more important than the heat produced? that will determine what Watt bulb and how much heat the enclosure has to endure if I run it on a timer from dusk till dawn. I'm thinking of mounting it inside a upside down clear storage tote.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I have Bojo fishing light - they are a PB advertiser and make a rock solid product. Bulb mattered regarding light wavelength, according to the owner with whom I spoke. I suspect the protein rendered to fish is inconsequential, but it's entertaining over a beer on a warm Summer evening.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
C
thanks for the thread sprkplug, I hadn't seen that thread. I hope all those who posted in that thread about their mounting setup will take the time to show pictures. appreciate it!

I found a pretty big supply of Aquamax near me in the St Louis/Washington Missouri area. I grabbed three bags of the max grower 600.
I asked the dealer how he had so much in stock. They said they have a customer that goes through 7 bags per day! shocked
They have to keep him supplied, as he's a commercial fish grower. There's a guy that build a pond not too far from me a few years ago. He's got huge docks that go up and down, and aeration going all over it. I think it's the same guy that needs the 7 bags per day. He sells a lot of tilapia (I think.) commercial operation.
At least it's out there. If someone needs a bag or two let me know. I'll have to ship it or meet you near St Louis.
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Foods not formulated for fish will have different amino acids and trace elements (about the only way that I can explain it) than what is in foods not formulated for fish.

I don't know if the fish food production facility at Bell is still going, nor if it is still being spearheaded by the same core of people.

I will be trying a different food shortly, and it's not one of the ones that's been mentioned here on the forum. Can't say much more about it, but supposedly it's formulated differently to minimize the fatty liver problems that are seen on some foods, and still allow for fast growth on the fish. It IS a bit pricier than AM, but hopefully the long term growth benefits will be worth it.

As TJ mentioned, the distribution hurdle still has to be overcome.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
So far so good on the Skretting. I mixed two sizes together and feed this mixture once a day, same as I do the AQ. Fish are eating well.

According to the ingredient list, I do believe that the protein source for this particular feed is more plant and poultry based, however. It does contain fishmeal and fish oil, but it's not front and center like it is on the AQ.

Lunker
Lunker
I hear your coat has a newfound sheen and lustre to it...any pics for us?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
There are pics, but they're posted on a site that's members only, and then there's that whole auto re-billing, credit card fiasco.

It's complicated.

Lunker
Lunker
I understand you're also now neutrally buoyant, like a mink might be. They should tout that in their marketing collateral. Fair warning: Should I find you in my fish cages this Winter, we're going to have a serious discussion regarding appropriate behavior.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I now have mad minja abilities....you won't find me in your fish cages. Matter-of-fact, you won't find anything in those cages but water.

Is it true there is a brownie recipe on the bag?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump