Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
13 members (Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,020 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
spook1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Guys this is my first post here as I just found this forum. I have so many questions to ask, I thought I would lump them all in here together. I have always wanted a pond, but now I think the opportunity might work out as a construction company is willing to build me a pond in exchange for the dirt they are needing for a road project close to my house.

What all should I be thinking about from the beginning to make this done right. Obviously they are meeting all requirements and inspections. But is there anything I should do from the onset that you guys wish you would have done if you could have done it over. The spot it will be put will not have electric right now. I hope to run electric there someday. I didn't know if I should do something with an aerator even though I won't have electric for probably another couple of years.

The pond will be about 2 acres. I have looked at dock designs and will ask about that when I am ready to build it. I am wanting this to be a swimming and fishing pond. I have read you shouldn't stock blue gill if you are wanting a swimming pond as they will nibble at you. I would rather have a fishing pond only, but I have two young kids. Once they are older I will then make it fishing only. I thought about putting bass and sunfish in it once it is completed. I have read about putting different kind of small minnows in first for a while before adding game fish. Any ideas or suggestions on this is appreciated.

Anything anyone else can add is appreciated. Like I said this happened pretty quickly so I am trying to get things figured out ahead of time.

Thanks from Ohio.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey Spook, welcome to the site. My first thing would to ask this construction co where in the near vicinity they have built ponds before and then go talk to the folks that own those ponds. Just cause a construction can build a road doesn't mean they can do a non-leaking pond. Ask them how deep they are going to core the dam. Check with the BBB about this company. Get a written contract. Get all your ducks in a row to get it dug right and then come back with more specific ?s about stocking plans, structure, docks, etc.
Now to the fun stuff. Why don't you consider having two ponds built, one with a beach and one without. One full of fish and one with maybe non nibblin forage. As your kids outgrow the swimming/forage pond you can have an altogether type of fishin pond.
Best of luck to you, if you can get a couple of ponds dug for free, You are a blessed man. If you're anywhere near Bill Cody (Napolian, Oh) you'll be many times blessed.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
C
CGF Offline
C
One other thought. You should have them provide you with a certificate of insurance naming the property owner as "additionally insured".

Chris
Hey Spook,

Welcome to PBF.

What kind of a pond will it be, watershed, water table, dam required, etc? Please provide more details on type of pond. Also, have they dug test holes to see what type of soil you have at different depths to see if the soil is suitable for a pond?

Again,

Welcome!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Spook1,
Welcome to Pond Boss....Lots of good info and helpful folks here to answer any question that you can think to ask.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
spook1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
To answer some of the above questions. They are doing samples now with the soil. It is actually done thru the state dept of transportation but they subcontract with contractors who will be digging the pond in exchange for the dirt.

It will only be one pond. They are testing different areas to make sure the land is suitable as to not cause slips etc. It will be a watershed pond but there is an old well close to where I am hoping to have it built.

B
B
I would involve your county SWCD, they should be able to offer some insight and may even help manage the project. I know most counties are getting away from the pond business but it is worth asking. I know my guys were very, very helpful during my design and build.

P
P
Welcome to the forum. Might not hurt to hire a guy to oversee these road builders. They are checking the soil for road use maybe not pond use... CYA

Pat

S
spook1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The soil and water will be doing the soil test. There is definately more testing than I would have ever thought lol.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Spooky, please keep us informed as it may be very helpful to folks in your situation in the future.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum, Spook! Some things to "require" of the dirt swap is that the dam be properly cored, a very well built emergency spillway constructed and that anti-seep collars be installed on whatever main overflow pipe system you choose. I like bottom draw self starting siphons, but that may not be practical for your area. Ask for a 500year flood spillway and discharge system, but don't settle for less than 300 year flood requirements for your watershed.

Have them grade, plant and seed not only the disturbed banks, but the pool area also.

Consider buying a couple books...Bob Lusk's, "A Perfect Pond...Want one?" and Mike Otto's, "Just Add Water". Both will give you a LOT of ideas on what you'll want before the crews leave. One final thought, Make SURE they use a sheepsfoot roller to compact the core of the dam, pool face of the dam, and the entire pool area and above a couple feet.

Oh...and have them put all your requirements in writing.

Dwight could add plenty of ideas. His 7 acre puddle was created for the same needs.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/17/15 11:53 PM.

D
D
like Rainman said buy those books. one thing is I would see if they will build you some bottom contours , points etc. the ones I have seen in Ok. have been rectangle holes with smooth same depth bottom. in saying that if I could get a pond dug for free I would pay for rocks, put in wood structure etc.. I will tell you have FOUND THE RIGHT SITE. These guys know there stuff. Get Pond boss Mag. too.
Like a lot of people I wish I had found this site earlier.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday