Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,935
Posts557,703
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (Abaggs, FireIsHot, Sunil, Shorthose, Theo Gallus, rjackson), 715 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, we're both old and senile.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker

In ponds, turtles undoubtedly compete with fish for natural food sources such as crayfish and insects. Turtles, however, are valuable because they kill diseased and weakened fish, and clean up dead or decaying animal matter.

One other side note! I have these buggers lining up for my expensive fish food and I don't much care for that either, they don't get much I suppose but still. I don't mind having some but I do not want my pond overran with them either.... they can and will make holes in the back side of your dam also! Specially snappers!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
P
P
Still think they do more good than harm, fun to watch them bobing for food from feeder, they learn fast.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I figure each turtle eats less than 50 cents worth of food per year. I tolerate them for the cleaning up that they do.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Go to the thread at the bottom to see how I and others built our latest islands. The flowers I used were petunias. So I know they worked with the soil being damp all of the time. If I had thought about it sooner I might have made a large hole in my new island so a basket of new flowers could be set in the hole each year. The foam and rug can be cut using a hot soldering iron. The hole would have to be cut just right so perhaps an inch or less of the basket would be in the water and the flowers would be self watering all summer.

The turtle island has had as many as six turtles on it at one time so far.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=31297&Number=406459#Post406459

J
J
Here is an update on turtle island. The turtles love it. In the picture are nine turtles and the most I have seen so far is ten. As you can see I have spatterdock and wild white lilies that bring in lots of wildlife activity. I do believe the materials used in the construction of the island will last many years without any maintenance. Probably my Fat Head minnows spawn on the underside of the lilies and the island.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Very cool John, love that setting...looks exotic!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
B
Very cool, John. My turtles have to sit atop some old tire structures I have in the shallows. (In all honesty, they were supposed to be elsewhere but I didn't drill big enough holes for them to sink and that's where they ended up) It's funny how turtles come and go. For two years, I had a couple big sliders; now they've moved on--although I can't imagine they'd get fed so well elsewhere. I also have one resident snapper, who gives me quite the stink eye when he comes up to feed. I did have two really big snappers the other day that appeared to be locked in a mighty battle. Then again, they might have just been amorous as I'm not that familiar with turtle lovemaking.

J
J
I have no idea why turtles leave when they have everything they could want in a home. I have experienced this over the years. Already this spring a neighbor has returned one that had made it to the road 500 feet away.

I've got three or four painted (that's what I've always called them) turtles in my new pond. They have to just float around. I better get something built pretty soon, or they will leave, just as easily as they migrated in. There is one cedar tree that still is above the water and the largest of the turtles has staked it out as his/hers.. It'll go under as the water level increases. (Still 3.5' to full pool, if I ever get rain.) I was going to lay a log down on the bank extending out into the water. Every other turtle I've seen (along rivers mostly) have been on fallen logs. I like these turtle structures though.
I was watching one little guy paddle around, and he dove down for a bit. It looked like he came up with a fish, but they are so slow I can't imagine them catching fish. I thought it must have been something else, or maybe a dead or dying fish..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
S
S
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
I have no idea why turtles leave when they have everything they could want in a home. I have experienced this over the years. Already this spring a neighbor has returned one that had made it to the road 500 feet away.

The females do have to go to land to dig a hole to deposit their eggs. It will not be too far from water but a few hundred feet is possible. Often times along the edge of our fields in the grass.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J
Thanks snrub I didn't know that.

K
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
K
John, you are my hero. I really admired your previous Island project and always intended to model after it at some point but now you've really outdone yourself with this awesome turtle island. Mine was more of an easy experiment and I didn't bother to stain it or anything. Just a matter of time before rot sets in I would imagine. Yours is going to last the test of time I have a feeling.

Regarding turtles leaving the pond.. I've had this happen a lot over the years. When my girlfriend moved in and she started naming the various turtles and picking favorites, I warned her that turtles tend to develop an inexplicable wanderlust regardless of how well they have it and to try not to get attached to them. We feed them well with pellets and treats every day, they have a fountain and a basking platform, not to mention everything is safe and fenced. Turtle paradise. Well, her favorite turtle she named "Lisa" had been in the pond for over 3 years. One day she started acting quite strange wandering around land. The next day she was gone. 2 months later we are feeding the turtles out on the bridge like we always do, and suddenly there was Lisa who had returned. Where she went, we don't know, but somehow she came back.

It must be a survival/propagation instinct in the species. No matter how good they have it they must go to new places.

J
J
Turtle Island update.

Look what just showed up. King of the island.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen one on shore that wasn't laying eggs. Great photo.

Forced to work born to Fish
J
J
He is laying on a rug covered foam island out in the pond. But he is very shy. This photo was taken 200 feet away.

O
O
Hello John,
I have a big guy like that in my pond and my wife wants him or her gone. I caught (it) 2 years ago in the mud wintering and put it back. Now much bigger. Are they a real threat to ducklings? That is my wife's big concern.

Old Wood
Antique Reclaimed Lumber
Great Site!
T
T
If over populated snappers can eat ducks. If I were closer I'd come get him/her. I love snappers and have several in my turtle pond.

D
D
These painted or red ear sliders are great little turtles but are evasive turtles. They populate much faster than native turtles and will eat up all the food before the native turtles get a chance to. They are native in Mexico and Texas but not north of there. They will live north but you could have hundreds that you don't see. They brumate and do off and on year around. If you have one there is 10 you don't see.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
J
Floating or Flying?
The rug covered foam island has been in the water now since early spring and is holding up well. The first foam carved rock looking island has been in the water year round now for 4 years, so the closed cell building foam doesn't take on water. The problem with first foam carved rock looking island is the outer crust hardened by a heat gun cannot stand up to the turtles climbing on it over the years without breaking through to the soft foam.

Last edited by John Monroe; 12/18/15 02:11 AM.

S
S
Maybe cover the foam with some indoor/outdoor carpet??????

John

Online Content
John, it's good to see you posting again.

AL

S
S
Originally Posted By: Kevin993
John, you are my hero. I really admired your previous Island project and always intended to model after it at some point but now you've really outdone yourself with this awesome turtle island. Mine was more of an easy experiment and I didn't bother to stain it or anything. Just a matter of time before rot sets in I would imagine. Yours is going to last the test of time I have a feeling.

Regarding turtles leaving the pond.. I've had this happen a lot over the years. When my girlfriend moved in and she started naming the various turtles and picking favorites, I warned her that turtles tend to develop an inexplicable wanderlust regardless of how well they have it and to try not to get attached to them. We feed them well with pellets and treats every day, they have a fountain and a basking platform, not to mention everything is safe and fenced. Turtle paradise. Well, her favorite turtle she named "Lisa" had been in the pond for over 3 years. One day she started acting quite strange wandering around land. The next day she was gone. 2 months later we are feeding the turtles out on the bridge like we always do, and suddenly there was Lisa who had returned. Where she went, we don't know, but somehow she came back.

It must be a survival/propagation instinct in the species. No matter how good they have it they must go to new places.

Kevin993 they may have wanderlust other than what I know of, but the males do move around to find females and the females do move around to lay their eggs on land. At least the Redear sliders do. Had a couple baby redears last year and several this year. Around the farm have seen the females digging holes to deposit eggs and we have found hatched redears and snapper babies in large mud puddles.

John

P
P
Glad you back posting John.

J
J
BIRDS LIKE THE ISLAND TOO.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by Abaggs - 04/16/24 08:39 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by catscratch - 04/16/24 06:54 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?