Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bdog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am going to build a small pond. It will be in the middle of what was once a cotton field. Flat as a pancake and no drainage to catch. I am in the Texas Panhandle near Lubbock.

We have a hole / pit on the place that is maybe 7 feet deep and 30' in diameter . We had a huge rain and it filled all the way up to where you could not see it. Within 3 days it was dry. Thus I think I will need a liner or haul in clay or bentonite.

This hole/pit I think was where they got fill dirt from when they built our house before we bought the property as the house is raised up and that is the only logical explanation I can see for it being there as it has not been used as a trash pit or anything like that.

I plan on incorporating this pit into the pond and making it larger.

I own a medium sized backhoe,dump trailer, and a compact track loader. It won't be as fast as a dozer or excavator but I think I can get it done with time using what I own.

We are having a well drilled later this month and based on surrounding wells I expect 50-70 GPM. I plan to fill it up with the well which might take several weeks and then maintain the level with the well.

The purpose of this pond is fishing. Nothing extreme just want to be able to go out there and relax with the kids and fish.

Now for my questions.

How big does this need to be? Everyone wants a large pond but since I am relying 100% on pumped water I really don't want to go any larger than I need to in order to maintain a decent fish population.I was thinking maybe around 1/2 acre but not sure. I own 20+ acres but can't afford to pump / line something huge.

How deep? My backhoe digs to 12'. I assume I want some depth variation? It does freeze here but not bad. Sometimes I see ice on ponds in the parks or whatever but it never gets thick. I used to duck hunt around here on the playa lakes when they had water and I never encountered ice I couldn't bust with my foot.

Should I go with a liner or clay/bentonite? If liner do they custom make them to your size or do I need to make my pond a certain size to have a liner fit it?

Thanks

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome bdog. I'm originally from Muleshoe.

I PERSONALLY would make it about an acre and 10-12 ft in that area. An acre is about the size of a football field and one inch of water over that acre is 27,000 gallons. So, that acre is a lot to keep filled.

I've never done any good with bentonite but others have. I know that liners are danged expensive.

Look for captwho on here. He purchased a polymer spray to line his pond around Heber Arizona which is also sandy soil.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
M
Welcome aboard bdog

Dave is right deeper is better, you will loose a lot of water to evaporation around Lubbock. Even with a well it will be hard to keep the pond full. Not sure how much homework you have done but A liner will need to be covered for it to last very long.
bentonite is a good product but it must be installed properly od it will not work. There will be some liner companies around Lubbock and the will make what ever you need, There will also be some bentonite companies close by check prices.

B
bdog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the replies. I am strongly leaning toward a liner. I figure it is similar to what the use for all those Frac ponds out by midland?

The volume of water is what really matters right? It seems the smaller in area the pond is but the deeper it is the less I would lose to evaporation. 1/2 acre ten foot deep is the same amount of water as 1 acre five foot deep.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM