Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
We went looking yesterday and calling on some very needy people . We get the names thru a pastor and 2 people connected with the school system. We also talk with many others so we have a large variety of people giving us information. We also help some that need work and are temporarily laid off. Their is work if a person looks hard. Todate we have given sparingly to several and the total amount is in excess of $2600. We have depleted our funds at the present time and the books will be checked in just a few days. I always worry when I give money that some will be scraped off the top, rest assured this is not happening and all monies are being passed on to the very needy. The lack of insurance does not make any difference as our evaluation is on other things. You can make a difference if you desire.
We have some more needy people so I am attempting to reach some of you that desire to be of assistance and have not been involved. I am just the avenue that the Lord is using and you will receive the blessing. Pond Boss is being discussed in each and every call I make, I also make it clear on where the money is coming from so there is not any confusion on whose money I am giving. I also realize some are unable to give and I accept that this is their limit.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
weatherholtp@direcway.com
Paul D. Weatherholt
1111 Highway 29
Wiggins Mississippi 39577
please indicate Katrina Disaster Fund
We are spreading out as funds are available as the coast is very much in need. Remember the old saying Uncle Sam needs You---we need you. We have asked many people in various areas to place articles in their local newspapers could you also help us in this area? We are serious on helping the needy and remember there are no administrative charges. So far Pond Boss is coming thru and we appreciate all help, we give thanks to the lord for everyone involved.

paul weatherholt
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Paul I like the idea of low/no admin cost. Please do not take this the worng way. The folks gettng the money, are they on welfare or did they have their personal homes destroyed?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Greg, The ones we have chosen to help have not been on welfare. They have had their homes destroyed, some had insurance but not on contents. One is a paraplegic. While he was evacuated, someone stole all his special clothing, plus his home was destroyed also. We interview each person and then make a judgement on the need. We have passed up several, that just had their hands out for money. My son, Keith, was airlifted out of a hospital in New Orleans. He lost everything. He will not get any money as he is family and I don't feel that is right. That is one of the reasons I asked another man to help make the decisions.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I was in Slidell Louisiana Thursday and went thru Coin Delestin Estates. We talked with a old friend for a short period of time and as he said the water went over the roofs of many houses. No one living in their homes , windows and doors are open and much debris along the road . This flood went back for at least a mile I would estimate. Everyone had discarded all their furniture along the road. This friend went in for a stress test Yesterday. As a friend I asked him to ease up and take one day at a time. This hurricane follows 3 years ago a dam broke and flooded lots of homes with about a foot of water. I fixed up and sold. We stayed in our house because we could not get help and if you left there were people stealing what they could. The water was strong enough to take off garage doors. This friend lives on a slight hill in a tri level and the water reached his light swithes on the second level.
I am still out trying to help people in various ways as my money is almost depleted. Winter is coming and many need more assistance. I would appreciate your assistance as it is badly needed.
What we do for others will be returned many fold. so at this time I am asking you to cast your eyes up and to listen to God. For those that have helped I will get my checks sent out from the bank on November 16 then I will take everything in to the accountant to be verified , I will need your e mail if I do not already have it if you want a copy of the report.
We have had some computer problems and are backing up in a different way and installing windows xp. I am double backing up this area so it will not be lost. Your prayers and help are needede and will be appreciated.

paul weatherholt
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Hi Deaner, I tried to send an email last night, but don't think it went thru. Maybe others have the same questions, so I'll ask again. Will clothes or blankets, towels etc be of any help or is it best just to send money? Alot of us have probably given most of our extra clothes ect, but we could always find a few more things if needed. Thanks for what you are doing, and we all need to remember that this problem has not gone away and will not go away without the help of everyone.
Randy

Just do it...
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks for answering-
I have seen so many clothes discarded by churches and other groups. They do not size and fold them up just put in piles in many but not all cases. Really money is the best. I received a call Saturday from Hattiesburg, he needed assistance because his insurance will not settle on his totally demolished home and he has to continue to make payments. I now would suggest legal help to get this load cut off. He did live on the coast and he as well as his wife are not receiving much wage money. He just moved in and must move out so his land lord can fix the place up for sale. He is feeling the pressure but if the house was not paid off he may not receive any money for a very long time if ever. I told him I was trying to raise more money but at this time I am very low. In all honesty until he sends me all facts I do not know if he would qualify for any help. He said fema would not help and I have been told this many times. Really there are many in more dire need as our money is designated for more extreme cases. I do not like to say this but money is the answer for our cases. We will be sending out a large mailing to the Atwood Hammond alumni this week at my expense. We have advertised in several news papers but it is not working. Maybe people think it is a scam which it is not. One lady placed the article in 3 newspapers and said as soon as she received her social security check she would send more money-bless her heart we just need more people with good serious feelings. I am serious in trying to help others and I also use my money to meet these goals.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I wonder if others are trying to e mail and can not get thru?
Besure and do not put a (t) in direcway.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Our bank statement become lost in the mail so we requested another so we could have the accountant check the books. Sorry about being late. We have reached almost the $3000 mark and as soon as I kick my cold and get concrete poured I will return to the road as We have a few more names to work on. There are still people requesting tents I read in the morning paper.
I was at a meeting last night and several were telling their stories, the discussion almost led to tears. Some of these people have aged more than normal. A good healthy friend in Slidell had to take a stress test because of pain and last night this came up with a different group-a few are experiencing chest pain. I have had 5 by passes and I know when I get in a situation that is more stressing than I need. Many people with bypasses do not experience this type of situation. Have a goood holiday and pray for those that will not enjoy the holiday. People in Gulfport were lining up for free turkeys and some were in tears because they have so little. We can make a difference and their is more than a need for prayer but prayer always helps and I feel it is a must. Some of us give a lot and the rewards will come later-our obligation is to help these that have suffered after we weigh the circumstances.
I am counting on you and would appreciate more of you becoming involved.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I lost my message so I will start over.I should pour my concrete Tuesday weather permitting and then I will need a day to heal after 23 yards. We will then make some calls on families that we have been notified of being Katrina needies. I received more money yesterday so I am preparing to do my duty. We make several calls to people that do not fit the Katrina victims. I know if we went deeper into the coast by the beach there are many needies, but we do not have the resource to assist all. We do have limited backing and that is not meant as a complaint. Sometimes people are limited as to how much can be given. God will guide us in the direction we are to go. We receive many blessing as well as encouraging words which means a lot. Keep the Faith and keep us in your prayers
We can help many but only with your help.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I was in a meeting last night and had the opportunity to talk with several people that live on the coast. Many lost heavily , one person had 7 trees on his house another had 30 some trees down. Many are living day to day with various friends and some have the no trailer problem. Some have too many people for the trailer while others have nothing but a tent while they see trailers not being used. The news paper is picking up on many problems and giving them space in the paper which helps to get a speeder action. Volunteers are being reduced and the free feeding stations are being cut back. The red cross is reducing their feeding and help also. They are afraid that free food and etc. will hurt the merchants. We discussed how many were in dire need and what was being done to help them. We still have many that will not accept anything free, so diplomacy must be used so the families can remain strong. Anytime you see large groups in control you see so much waste that you wonder how this can continue. With the wasted dollar so many people could be helped that the situation could be resolved rather quickly. It will always be this way as most do not know what is happening.
Trailers with no heat and maintenance people can find no problems. Some trailers are delivered so dirty they are unusable-many problems. Many trailers can not be delivered because they do not have the keys and some are delivered with no keys. There will always be problems as long as you work with the public but with something this big there should of been 2 contracts to manufacture trailers and two people running the program.
My guess is politics played a part in this since it was a no bid. We should have a bidding process before hurricane time and proceed as outlined above. Money talks.
as most of us say this is not my problem, but it really is and the next time we or our loved ones could be the ones in need.
Think of us in your prayers and we still need your help more than ever. I realize this was very long but I did wish to inform others of what is taking place. I am not talking politics as either party it would probably not make any difference.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I still do not have my concrete poured which I must do soon so it will be cured when my son comes to help me with the building. I wanted the guy who is helping me in my donation program to assist me with the pour and he is just like all of us to busy to assist. He has been trying to get his roof replaced and the people selling the shingles have been giving him a run around. I must put off my pour as I heard of a young mother in a fema trailer with two little children that may need help as they lost their home. The children are a big responsibility of all of us since sometimes parents are stretched too thin and this is where we need to step in and help. They did not have enough money to fill their propane tank I was told. We would like to make their Christmas a little brighter.
As I become older, children are not taken for granite, as this could lead to future ramifications. Maybe I just love children. We do as much for others also and it is not just decided by male or female. It is about their need caused by Katrina. If we have a house or such to live in, we are very blessed.
I have heard from many past classmates and they have been generous, but there is such a need that I am willing to give up much, to assist them in getting their lives back together. This is where you can help me, I do not take the credit for helping others. I tell them exactly where it came from. If I am to help these people I must request your help, many of you keep giving on a regular bases and it is appreciated and put to good use. I have received e mail that different ones gave to the Clinton - Bush Katrina fund raiser. That is good, but it just does not cut the ice, as it is not used to help those in need because of Katrina. Most of it went to Colleges and Universities. I am not knocking politics as this is the two major parties. It is a case of people wanting to be donators to politics and then they miss helping the ones in need. Maybe the answer could be giving a little less to politics so the ones in real need are helped? Once again, none of the money you donate goes to me or anyone connected with this program. I have taken money out of my own funds for postage, gas and phone calls. We have received money from contractors in Virginia Beach, people in Florida (even thou they have had damage also) and others from all walks of life. I know we have some Preachers on the Forum, perhaps you and your congregation could assist us with this program. You will receive blessings, as we have, by helping others. Red Cross and Fema are pulling out of Southern Mississippi and there is still a lot of people in tents. Our State Representatives are pushing for more funds for emergencey housing but it seems slow in coming. There are 1,000's of trailers in a western state. The people there are willing to haul them down here, but can't get the go ahead to do so. The weather has gotten cold during the nightimes. It is very unhealthy for these people. Now, with Red Cross and Fema pulling out, it will be people helping people. We have curtailed our Christmas spending this year so we can be of more help to others. Our classmates and alumni are doing the same. How about YOU? Will YOU be of help? We have several groups invovled, but WE NEED YOU!
You can send donations to Paul "Deaner" Weatherholt, 1111 Hwy 29, Wiggins, MS 39577

paul weatherholt
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
deaner, thank you for all that you are doing to help others.

About three weeks ago, my wife returned from volunteering at Biloxi. As you said, donations are drying up and this winter is a critical time. She is going around and collecting canned food and blankets. Between Christmas and New Years, she hopes to take a semi load of goods to Mississippi. This isn't part of any formal charity, just her doing something that she sees needs to be done.

If anyone has some goods they would like taken there, let me know. I will also try to take a smaller load in Feb. and will gladly stop along the way to pick up whatever.

Norm Kopecky
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Norm
Yes your lady did see things as they are, she realizes their true need is blankets and canned food . The trailer space is very small and storage is tight. Even after they get their homes built they will have urgent needs of so much. The ones without jobs still have many needs such as propane and food ,don't forget money to pay electrical.
I visited with an older lady that was shutting off her heat of a night to conserve propane. Peoples needs in this area are so many that we only touch the surface. Many that had their homes totaled have been notified that they must return to paying their mortgages, some did not receive this treatment and had to continue paying their moragage from the time Katrina hit.
May God bless you and your wonderful wife for stepping forward and doing something to help the needy, this is a big step and if she can get others involved in your area it will releave the burden so much.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Went out yesterday calling on some families that were reported in need. One call that I checked on first came to a a fast stop, evidence was the family had been helped by two different sources and that the parent was alcoholic. It was not just that they drink alcohol but it was excessive and they were poor parents to their children. Another call checked out good and they were helped. We have some more to check on but it does take time to really find the needy and to be able to pass over the ones that just have their hands out and do nothing to help their situation. We try to check out each needy person very closely so no funds are wasted, we run a very tight ship. We have various ways to check people out and to this point it has been sucessful. Your donations are appreciated and when they are given out we discuss in detail where this money comes from so no one will think it is our money. Have a very happy holiday.

paul weatherholt
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If you guys want to see what a destroyed area looks like, check out my friends website at www.reeder.org. New Orleans got all of the publicity over a levee breaking but this tells about the actual hurricanes power. You didn't see this on TV. And this is just one block of one town.

D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Dave
The pictures were very impressive. I have been thru a few areas that were hit very hard and it will bring you almost to your knees on how these people are still suffering. Many can not do anything to their house until the codes are in place. I know of some that borrowed all the money to purchase their house, I mean the total cost and now they could not start to repair if they wanted , because most loan institutes want to see some progress before they will release any money to you.
This is the time of year we shoulkd all be thankful to HIM.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I was down to Gulfport to the Red Cross main area. I was informed that all the food was prepared for the entire Mississippi devastated area from this one location. They are shutting down and making preparation to pull out, I was told. They will finish all projects started but the food area is being shut down. I believe I was informed correctly as I surveyed the situation. This has a very serious outlook as there are many still in need. We still have many in tents and are unable to cook as they are not setup for serious camping. As you look at many areas you can see there is a real need for help. I hope to get my partner and go out again this next week to look for the most needy. At this point we are not giving up just because we are not aquainted with the people in need. We will be checking them out closely. I am late again sending out the statement concerning the books. It is my fault as I have many irons in the fire so I must put a fire under myself. One of the resons I have held off turning in the checkbook as I hoped to get out and help others-poor excuse but it is necessary as many know to turn in the checkbook to verify everything is all right. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers as they are needed.

paul weatherholt
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Paul, our truck of goods for the Biloxi area got back yesterday but I haven't talked with the people that drove it yet.

Many people have asked about clothes. The only way that I have seen clothing distribution work is with a store of some kind. People need to look through and try on clothing. Do you know if any stores like this have been set up?

Norm Kopecky
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I know that coats and many clothing items are now in need. I wish I had known of your desire and I could of followed up last night. I will make some contacts tomorrow since this is New Years day. I should be able togive you answers on Monday.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I was down at the Red Cross main feeding area last night and I will also contact them. They are fazing out but they do have a few people still at this location. I will also go thru the news paper and make some other calls. Earlier the clothes did not reach the people because as you stated they need to be in a building where they can be sorted. I witnessed so much waste in clothes that I will try extra hard to give you the answer to your question.
I hope to go out this week with another gentleman and see if we can help the much needy with a little money for their necessities. I have been lazy as I have a few problems to repair, but I aim to forget my problems and assist others.

paul weatherholt
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Thanks Paul, we probably took down two pallets (6 ft. tall) of coats and sweaters. This wasn't really clothing that had to fit. We have 1/2 pallet of clothing that really does have to fit. If you can find a place in the Biloxi area, that would be great.

Norm Kopecky
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I dropped off the books today for the auditor to inspect. I have been a little lax in this job as I have so much to do around home. I have another person to visit. We just went calling this weekend to a person that was much in need. The insurance company has shorted them and the person working with me on this fund will follow up and see if they can correct this situation. The insulation in the attic needs removed and there is interior ceiling and walls needing repaired because of water damage. Storm doors were torn off and much more damage and no insurance money was allowed for this and other damage. She lost her husband this past year so her earnings are very low and she is in bad health. We try to use all donations to this fund in a diligent manner. The Red Cross is preparing to move out and there is still much to do for the people in the area. Keep us in your prayers and we appreciate any donation that you can make.

paul weatherholt
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Paul, we ended up taking 6 pallets, 6-8 ft. high to the MS coast between Xmas and New Years. We still had more stuff and the Lutheran churchs in the Sioux Falls area took down a semi load last week. We have already collected another pallet full of stuff to go down when we can get there.

Norm Kopecky
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Norm, It was good to hear from you. You and your neighbors are doing a great job getting things together. We have found, trying to make decisions of who is most deserving of our finacial help, to be a most difficult job. There are so many that need the help and since we are limited on funds, we cannot help them all. As you well know, it may be several years before the people in this area can reach the comfort zone they once knew.

paul weatherholt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images