Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,120
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
10 members (Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate), 894 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#406096 03/31/15 12:36 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Anyone have any hi-res photos of bass with black blotches on them? I've got a story to run, but need photos. I've shot some over the years, but can't find them. Anyone? If so, please email me at bob@pondboss.com and send photos as an attachment, preferably as a jpeg. You'll get credit in the magazine.
Thanks...

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
C
C
Bob, I don't have the pictures you requested, but I would like to show some of my naivety or 'lack of experience' by asking about your signature line.

What is the entry in your subject line about free pecans and free watermelons a reference to? Was there a time where both of these items were free? Was it like the free chicken in every pot promise from someone on the campaign trail? I was not aware of a free watermelon program or what its context was smile

I agree, fish are not free, I'm not free to move them from one place to another in Michigan either, and wasn't sure who these days thought fish were free as well.

Thanks for the history lesson!

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/31/15 01:01 PM.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
It's satire...
For years, many states gave away free fish to stock ponds. Some still do. Every fall, I hear stories about people stopping on the side of the road to pick up pecans under trees on private property. Back in the 'day', kids stole watermelons from the farmer's patch.

I've been in the private sector as a fisheries biologist for 35+ years and I'm still amazed that people don't truly understand the 'value' of fish. For example, I recently saw a story where some guys caught and harvested their limit of giant blue catfish...totally legal...from a public lake in east Texas. But, some of those catfish were at least 20 years old. That's how long it will take to replace a fish that size and age. Those guys had more than 400 pounds of fish. I don't see that as good stewardship and those guys either didn't know or didn't care about the age of those fish and their importance in that lake to perpetuate the species.
When most people see a fish, or a population of fish, they don't think of it as having value. They're just fish.

From a different angle, when someone builds a lake or pond, maybe spending well into five figures to build, they'll often question the cost of the fish, which, by comparison, costs much, much less. From a dollar standpoint, often the same guy who spent $15,000 to build a pond wants to question $600 worth of fish to stock it properly.

I'm still looking for photos. Found one, could use two more.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Repeat request: Anyone have any hi-res photos of bass with black blotches on them? I've got a story to run, but need photos. I've shot some over the years, but can't find them. Anyone? If so, please email me at bob@pondboss.com and send photos as an attachment, preferably as a jpeg. You'll get credit in the magazine.
Thanks...

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've always seen a different angle on the free fish part. I think of poachers.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I agree on often getting raised eyebrows over the initial stocking costs of fish. So many people will spend huge dollars to build a resort for fish to live and thrive in, then bring in the equivalent to the local Crack-Head to live in it.

I recall a post here where a guy spent well into 6 figures building a 40 plus acre lake. After his first rain, there was about 3 acres of water in it. He was anxious to stock his 60,000 CNBG, but wanted fish in it right away. He then found the forum and bragged about his catching and stocking 6 LMB, all over 6 pounds, into the 3 acres....and not one forage fish. I think he sterilized the pond to remove them before he stocked $20,000 worth of snacks for those 6 starving LMB.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Repeat request: Anyone have any hi-res photos of bass with black blotches on them? I've got a story to run, but need photos. I've shot some over the years, but can't find them. Anyone? If so, please email me at bob@pondboss.com and send photos as an attachment, preferably as a jpeg. You'll get credit in the magazine.
Thanks...

I'll look I might??

Hold on

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I know this doesn't help with the picture request just thought I would rant a little on my experiences. Please believe me when I state that I'm trying to change the current way of peoples thinking...just don't know if it's possible.

There is rarely a week that goes by that I am not educating or helping guys that I know or have been "referred" to me about pond construction and management here in MN. I am not a pro and usually refer guys to PondBoss or other resources that are pro's. Currently, I have close to a zero $ interest in anything related to the pond industry. With one exception, a how to create a business learning tool for my teenage daughters (marketing,engineering, and sales interactions). I tell every new pond owner where to buy the fish and teach them to use resources like PondBoss to determine stocking strategies that fit their goals. Completely unbiased information with proven results. And almost every single time, I hear something like this...."I'm not going to spend $1,500 on fish. I'll just go and catch some and release them into the pond." They just spent $10,000 on construction and aeration. They got many, many years of experience,for free,telling them how to do it. They listen to all the construction suggestions and aeration strategies. Then on the last step they decide to "save" some money. How's that saying go... "Pennywise/pound foolish". It must be very frustrating for you guys in the industry! Ok, my rant is over. grin

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sorry I have a lot of bass pics but none of the black spot ones. I have like 2 or 3 of those type bass in my pond but never took any pics of them I guess.

They don't seem to have anything wrong with them just have some oblong looking black blotches on them.... If I ever catch another one I will take a pic or 2 in case you need them again!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Im sure you know this already Bob but if you do a Google search for lmb with black blotches they have some nice images out there you may be able to use!

RC

If you mean blotches like the famous Dottie I just caught a bass the other day with a dot. Today I caught a bass with some unusual black spots also.

B
B
Bob -

I don't think these spots are what you're looking for?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I think that is what he is looking for.

Cody note: I also think that is what Bob wanted. Send him your bass picture.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/02/15 03:18 PM.

Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Anyone have any hi-res photos of bass with black blotches on them? I've got a story to run, but need photos. I've shot some over the years, but can't find them. Anyone? If so, please email me at bob@pondboss.com and send photos as an attachment, preferably as a jpeg. You'll get credit in the magazine.
Thanks...

I sent you several, Bob....hope it helps.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
F
F
Someone may can tell me for sure but aren't those black splotches common especially during the spawning season? Over the years we have seen them show up primarily during the spawn. Can you tell me why?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've never seem them before at my pond.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Flame
Someone may can tell me for sure but aren't those black splotches common especially during the spawning season? Over the years we have seen them show up primarily during the spawn. Can you tell me why?

Im gonna say no to that, they are not common. I have been bass fishing for 35 years now from Wisconsin down to Texas, and very rarely do you come across that on LMB even during the spawn. At least I haven't.

RC

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you want to know more about these patches of black on largemouth bass get the next issue of Pond Boss Magazine (May-Jun 2015) where Bob will have a story about it.
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/03/15 11:05 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks for the help, all. Got three good photos. We'll see how much space we have and put in as many as we can. Ralph Manns wrote the story. It will run in May-June.

F
F
I have seen it many times here on Lake Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend Resevoir. It will be interesting to read Bob's story.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
L
L
I know I am late to the party but if this is what you are looking for I will send it to your email.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images