Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4059 01/19/07 08:28 AM
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
While discussing my pond dreams with some friends, I was told. Why don't you just use truckloads of ash from the powerplant, it makes great roads.

Does anyone have any information on mixing coal ash with existing soils to better hold water?

Here is a website with plenty of info on it. But to be honest, I do not understand soils well enough to understand if it would work or not. "self cementing class C" is used often...

http://whocares.caer.uky.edu/wasp/AshSymposium/AshLibraryAgenda.asp

This one in particular I find interesting.
http://www.flyash.info/2005/108mac.pdf

_ ________________________________________ _
Hi Honey I'm home... Is my new issue of Pond Boss here?
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
NuttyGambler very interesting info. I will look at it some more and try and see what I think. My question so far is what is it chemically. I see some good and some questionable things and a lot of "I don't know either" to think about.

OK you chemists , geologists and engineers out there take a look and put in your 2 cents.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Here was an actual test done as a liner for swine manure in Ohio.

http://www.flyash.info/2001/envben2/74wolfe.pdf

The enviromental gal from the local power plant is spose to call me back. The one good thing about this stuff is it is FREE (less hauling that is).

_ ________________________________________ _
Hi Honey I'm home... Is my new issue of Pond Boss here?
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i dont really know ewest. flyash can also be a product of thermal remediation of contaminated soils, so I would probably want a chemical analysis (tox screen) of it to review before i put it in pond. residual refractory toxic compounds (those highly resistant to heat) would be of concern.

as far as being a sealing agent, i could see it helping to bind soils if blended and compacted well....sounds like it might be a really useful alternative.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
flyash can also be a product of thermal remediation of contaminated soils, so I would probably want a chemical analysis (tox screen) of it to review before i put it in pond.
Well Sir, the good news is that the introduction of ash has sucessfully sealed your pond.

The bad news is that there is a slight possibility that the ash was contaminated and that there could be some minor effect to wildlife....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
jas Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
I would stay away from fly anywhere near a pond. Its chemistry is varible and it often contains heavy metals as contaminant. It is nothing you want near your pond.

jas, Engineer & Geologist

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Well this is a new one for me. Keep us posted on this and thank you.

S
S
I've completed remedial investigations for landfills that contained 100% fly ash from coal fired power plants. The leachate and resulting groundwater plume contained several heavy metals including arsenic. The chemistry is controlled by the type of coal and pH buffering capacity of the water, redox, etc. The following is an excerpt from an old report I was able to dig up:

"Statistical data indicates that groundwater at the monofill is impacted by aluminum, antimony, arsenic, boron, calcium, COD, chloride, magnesium, nitrate, nitrite, pH, sodium, specific conductance, sulfate, TDS,TOC, and vanadium. Additional sampling and analyses will be necessary to verify statistically significant exceedances of chromium, copper, nickel, selenium, and zinc."

The question is whether the metal species are soluble/insoluble. They should have chemical data on the material including total metals analyses and leach test results.

The presence of metals does not mean that they will go into solution in your pond water. They may stay bound to the liner material and will most likely be locked in once organic sedimentation occurs. Some may leach out the bottom into groundwater.

If the material does contain elevated metals, there may be implications just bringing it onto your property depending on your state laws. It's possible that the power plant has pre-certified the material with the regulators for placement on clean properties. I'd be cautious any time someone is offering "free" material.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by jas:
I would stay away from fly anywhere near a pond. Its chemistry is varible and it often contains heavy metals as contaminant. It is nothing you want near your pond.

jas, Engineer & Geologist
Power plants that burn coal put mercury into the air. So would it be logical to assume the ash could contain mercury? Mercury is a heavy metal.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM