Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon), 750 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cat's are OK, if they are not around me.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I had a cat, and did indeed end up bonding with the cat.

While the cat's name was "Trixie," I called it "Cattle."

The cat depended on me for certain things, and in my efforts to support the cat.....well....it's a story for the next time I see you..

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I should say 'we' had a cat. It was Woman's cat.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That must suck at times.

You up for a charter on Lake Michigan?

Let me know pretty soon.

T
T
Do it, kill them all! Kill every red squirrel and every chipmunk. I have started to see more and more of them this year, I find nuts stored in the basement of my 5th wheel camper, I see them sitting on the tires of my truck, I find nuts stored in my engine compartments of all my vehicles. Then, disaster! A few months ago I'm driving and my right headlight doesn't work. A month later the engine light goes on in my truck. Then my windshield wiper blade suddenly had no rubber wiper! I take my truck a month ago to the dealer, squirrels/chipmunks ate the wiring harness to my headlight clean off, they ate the wiring harness to my trucks DEF sensor, they ate the rubber off my wiper blades!

I have rat traps with peanut butter on the tree I see them on. I have only been able to shoot one because I never have a safe back stop. I have not been able to catch one in the rat traps, they set them off but I'm not getting a body. Kill them, kill every one. Do it with extreme prejudice and do it with malice. They cost me almost $1000 in truck repairs.

By the way, they gnawed and ate countless more wiring harnesses that I had to repair. They probably damaged plenty more that I don't know about. It was so bad I traded the truck in and got a new one.

Last edited by timshufflin; 03/21/15 06:16 PM. Reason: add more info

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
P
P
Daaangit! And I thought the squirell were bad around here. I live in the city and we are overrun with squirrels . I use a .22 cb cap from ci. Quieter than a pellet gun and in a rifle very accurate. Won't go through a squirrel so safer to use

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Varmints 1000-Tim 0 wink

Tim think about rat zapper it's a battery operated rodent killer I use for mice very effectively at my outbuilding on farm. It won't mete out the malice you prescribe but there's also no drama or mess.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: timshufflin
Do it, kill them all! Kill every red squirrel and every chipmunk.

Kill them, kill every one. Do it with extreme prejudice and doing it with malice.

Yeesh. It reminds me of how I got to retire a little early because they realized I was crazy-crazy-crazy. crazy

Originally Posted By: Arlo Guthrie -- from Alice's Restaraunt
And I waked in and sat down and they gave me a piece of paper, said, "Kid, see the psychiatrist, room 604." And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL." And I started jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumping up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the Sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

For some reason, it reminds me of a long-time and close Pond Boss friend and fishing companion.

Maybe we could have the chipmunks with fava beans and a fine Chianti.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Maybe we could have the chipmunks with fava beans and a fine Chianti.
That's strange....I guess I always thought of chipmunks as having white meat.

Lunker
Lunker
If anyone can make chipmunks palatable it's you ken

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yolk -- you are good at selecting fine wines.

Sunil -- you can bring the chipmunks. You may need help from Rex and Esshup. If you can, also bring a big turtle.

Sparkplug -- we may need some maple syrup for the chipmunk marinade.

TJ -- can you visit Dr. Lecter to torture him for a recipe to go with the fava beans, Sunil's chipmunks,and Yolk's wine?

I can do the cooking and catering. All are invited -- as long as Sunil can harvest enough chipmunks and a big outhouse turtle.

All other help would be greatly appreciated.

Lunker
Lunker
Why am I assigned the torture? Not complaining mind you, just curious.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I hear you Tim. Those red squirrels and chipmunks have cost me $$$$.$$ in damage, easily several thousand mad

I had a bunch of stuff stored in Fremont. I thought it was fairly secure from theft, but the rodents never entered the equation at the time.

I hauled a bunch of stuff to the shop in the fall of 2013 and was totally appalled when I unpacked. Chipmunks got into everything. They got into so much, I can't even describe it here. Just to give you a hint, I opened my 7 drawer Kennedy tool box up and most of the drawers were full of eaten acorns and they pissed all over everything. My Starrett and Mitutoyo precision tools were all junk. One drawer they did not get into, everything is fine. This is only one thing they got into - It gets worse!

Field mice are probably more evil. They can get into places a chipmunk can't, and how the hell did they fill up my HP 1220C printer with dog food? It was a backup, NEW and stored, but became junk. Let's not talk about the nest they made in the head of my drill press mad

While TJ and Edison may be on the same page with this battery powered stuff, I'm going with Tesla and Westinghouse wink laugh

Have you ever been woken up at 2:00 am when the furnace blower in your camper kicked in and it was beating something to death? Yep, field mouse got in from the outside, and it was ugly. Had to rip the furnace out, but fortunately, mice bounce when they get caught in the blower, and not much blood and guts. I can take that furnace out in my sleep wink

B
B
Is it just me, or does the Cattle allusion sound eerily familiar to a certain Diego--or a Hipp???? Kinda---Durstlike!!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I've had a lot of rodent problems.

In the country it has been both tree rats and field mice. Mice have chewed wiring on both tractors. Squirrels have actually chewed holes in the side of the trailer house and I've had to replace the wood, repaint, etc. I keep mouse traps baited 365 and poison under the house. Lots of holes in the bottom of the paneling that I continually patch. Some may find this odd but when I don't have mouse problems, it generally means that a rattle snake has moved in under the trailer. It is under pinned so I can't see them. I like that and as long as they move out and leave in the Spring, we get along just fine.

In town squirrels have been my problem. They ate a hole under an eve and got to phone wires in the attic. And they did it at some danged inconvenient places to find and repair. I finally put some expanded metal at that eve. Last year I went on an eradication program. I shot a lot of them with calibri's and CB caps. I also trapped and relocated about a dozen. Now, there are virtually no squirrels around my house and I like it that way.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/22/15 07:11 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Varmints 1000-Tim 0 wink

Tim think about rat zapper it's a battery operated rodent killer I use for mice very effectively at my outbuilding on farm. It won't mete out the malice you prescribe but there's also no drama or mess.

Not quite, got one using .25 pellet about a week ago. Got another just this morning. Very tough to get a shot when they're sitting on the tire of your truck!

Last edited by timshufflin; 03/22/15 08:11 AM.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y

Nobody knows torture like an English major. You can contort his very consciousness into rigid five paragraph form, bereft of any spark of warmth or humanity, and wack off his dangling participles. Makes me break out into a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

Nobody knows torture like an English major. You can contort his very consciousness into rigid five paragraph form, bereft of any spark of warmth or humanity, and wack off his dangling participles. Makes me break out into a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Never question the Brotherhood.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

I figure there are two people in the Pond Boss group who could charm even Hannibal Lecter -- you or Sunil. Sunil will be busy getting the chipmunks. That leaves you. Oh, and it takes torture to charm Dr. Lecter. crazy Maybe Yolk can give you some advice before you go.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I guess I'm not sure why I gotsta be a torturer too!!!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Sunil

Are you still sporting your terrorist-like beard? If so, you already look the part....

T
T
Originally Posted By: timshufflin
Varmints 1000-Tim 0 wink

Not quite, got one using .25 pellet about a week ago. Got another just this morning. Very tough to get a shot when they're sitting on the tire of your truck!

I stand corrected. Squirrels 1000 Tim 2

Thank you, it's important to keep an accurate score.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil

No! No! No!

This was intended as a supreme compliment to you (Sunil) and TJ.

To those who may not know these guys personally, they are two of the people at the top of the list for making everybody on Pond Boss feel like they are part of a family and part of our group.

Even though this thread might be about killing and eradicating cute little critters, it is also about the welcoming and big-heartedness of people like them. It is also about tolerance and making friends with those who don't always fit under the "normal bell curve."

Knowing these two guys for a number of years, I don't think either is capable of truly disliking anybody. They both can make friends and allies, in seconds, out of the the most hateful.

Maybe they both need Yolk Sac's psychiatric help so they can learn how not to be as accepting and inclusive as they are. But, Yolk too is personal friends with these guys, and very accepting of everybody. I've only heard him utter good things about people, including these two guys.

But, then again ... could/would these guys be our good friends if they weren't the way they are?

Ken

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Field mice, how do they do it?
I had my Mustang parked in back for a few years, no surprise that I had mice nesting in there. Mouse pee smells great.
But the neighbor had a large nest in the airbox of this car, that was driven daily. Doesn't seem like a great place to make a nest.

And I just finished some work on the wifes car, found a stash of poison pellets in the engine compartment.
I don't even see how, the car is driven daily and it is parked on the street, far away from any of the poison I put out in the garage/storage in back.
But we do get birds nesting under the hood of the cars in the spring, supposedly they have caused a few car fires in the past around here.

And let's not get started on the mice that got in the apartment a few years ago.
Most of them were smart enough to avoid the traps I had, would just see them everyone once in a while or hear them scurrying in the walls at night.
Finally had enough and punched holes in the wall so I could place poison bait in there.
Sealed the walls back up with the bait in there, no mice since.

We back up to a bean field, so every fall we start the battle again.

I am not a fan of poison, but I have learned my lesson and just place it around every fall.

Doing some spring cleaning today and finding bodies and poop everywhere, I did not bait until mid winter, those buggers got into everything.
Maybe I haven't learned my lesson yet.

P
P
Rats and mice are poison smart. You might get a few but the rest catch on and either crap on it to keep the others away or hide/ stash it. It amazes me that they can figure that out

Pat

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails