Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,697
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, Snipe, anthropic, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 536 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: vosler
You guys are great!!! Hope things work out. I'm certainly willing to pay an amount that makes it profitable. The only reason anyone even knows about PK shrimp is this site. If we can help Carol, we should...as a group. I didn't know Dale, but I have followed threads on this for a couple of years. Seems like they always tried to help us out. When I called Carol in the Fall, she was willing to send me shrimp with only my word I would send her the money even though I had never been a customer. I was just too late in the year and the ponds froze over before she could seine them.

I'd like to join vosler in commitment to pay for PK, even though I don't actually have a pond yet. They bring back great memories of fishing for "shellcracker" -- RES -- with my dad using PK. I want them in my BOW to show my kids & grandkids what intrigued me when I was young. smile

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It's a shame hearing about Fattig's issues. You're a good man TJ trying to keep the ship upright. I'm really glad we pioneered the PK shrimp and other pondmeisters can reap their benefits. No reason not to stock them!

C
C
Certainly we would like to help too. Is it challenging to raise them if more of us helped to keep a culture going say staged strategically across the US and helped distribute to others in our neck of the woods?

I'm not aware of what it would take for ghost shrimp. I understand that the smaller scuds are very easy to keep a self-sustaining colony going starting with just a few adults, some dead leaves, a 20 gallon container, and a little aeration.

T
T
TJ, I think any business that provides a sales and service has to find a "nitch" in the market. The business does not have to be the cheapest, but the best it can be. And it has to provide quality, and it has to be there when needed. And the business has to make enough profit to keep interest of the mgr and or owner. So, maybe with your helping her find a market, get her a helper, and getting her a profit, she may want to continue or turn it over to someone who has the desire to enjoy.

Respect for your efforts here
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
It's a shame hearing about Fattig's issues. You're a good man TJ trying to keep the ship upright. I'm really glad we pioneered the PK shrimp and other pondmeisters can reap their benefits. No reason not to stock them!

Travis, you and Jakeb are the ones who did the research and sourced them at Fattigs. I just made sure we could funnel all the business we possibly could to them, and ensured my buddies got their shrimp on time and alive. Happy to help - it's comforting knowing that many of you have Cornhusker shrimp thriving in your ponds.

I am still waiting on a call from Carol and Susan. Will keep you apprised. It would be awesome to have a reliable source for LCS, BNM, and SFS and maybe other fish species. I'm trying.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Thanks for the packing tips, Canyon. I might need all the help I can get if I don't hear from them soon. The thought of buying shrimp for $1/ea from online aquarium stores is nauseating.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
RER Offline
R
Im lucky I can keep the warm water ones redily avail at pet stores...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I'm thinking of starting a tank to breed wild caught ones. Figure it's not a lot different than prawns. What do you think guys?

Leaders take people where they want to go. Great leaders take people where they don't want to go, but need to go.
V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
and gals!

Leaders take people where they want to go. Great leaders take people where they don't want to go, but need to go.
F
F
I'm thinking of starting a tank to breed wild caught ones. Figure it's not a lot different than prawns. What do you think guys?

look at scudds cultures too. There are small ?photoplankton? The baby grass shrimp need to eat that ,are hard to provide in captivity. Might need to look into that, but it should be a fun project.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
F
F
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

I am still waiting on a call from Carol and Susan. Will keep you apprised. It would be awesome to have a reliable source for LCS, BNM, and SFS and maybe other fish species. I'm trying.
please keep us posted.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I've had luck tank raising PK shrimp in older aquariums. Newer ones don't seem to have the infusoria needed.

F
F
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I've had luck tank raising PK shrimp in older aquariums. Newer ones don't seem to have the infusoria needed.

Thanks CJ

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
infusoria. That sent me to wikipedia.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Getting tanks tomorrow. Will need to get with someone in Indiana that can "guide" me to places I can catch PK's. later this spring. Any takers?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
vosler - try going to some of the marsh areas boarding LkErie; that is where I got mine.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Vosler, vegetated back waters of the big river(s) around you...

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I will give that a try. I have some large creeks near my home. Research showed a lot of scud type invertebrates, but failed to mention PK shrimp. The distribution line is near me but right on the edge. I think I will try closer to the ohio river. Sounds like a road trip! smile

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
When collecting focus on weedy habitats.

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
When would be the best time to go? I would like to get them before they reproduce since it is my understanding that they only reproduce once then die. Also, do they go underground for the winter? I would think they would do so, so need to know when they come back up to the grass.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Go collecting in Ohio waters May and June up until around early July to get them with eggs. Those in mid to late June to early July should be carrying eggs.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/06/15 08:30 AM.

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks...it will take me a little while to get the tanks ready.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
They don't go underground in the winter. They simply move to deeper water and become lethargic until spring warmth creates activity and sends them back to the shallows.

D
D
Do grass shrimp prefer running water (creeks or streams) or more stagnant water holes like ditches? I'll definitely be searching for grassy areas in less than 2 ft of water, from what I've gathered. Thanks for any info. I'm very interested in locating some of these critters this spring

S
S
Originally Posted By: fishm_n

look at scudds cultures too. There are small ?photoplankton? The baby grass shrimp need to eat that ,are hard to provide in captivity. Might need to look into that, but it should be a fun project.

I think grass shrimp will eat catfish food pellets. The reason I say that is that I've caught a few in my forage pond in a minnow trap baited with fish food pellets. Of course it is also a possibility that they just stumbled into the trap by accident.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?