Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,793
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,510
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, ArkieJig, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Augie, catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck), 974 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#405538 03/26/15 12:59 PM
J
jstiz Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So Water Primrose just showed up late last year maybe during the end of summer. Since my pond has literally no structure or vegetation I decided to let it go. The baby fish loved it! It was always full of fish.

My question is should I leave it and just keep a close eye on it or is it going to take over? It is currently only in 2 corners and the rest of my pond the sides are very steep so I don't think it will grow there. Could it actually be a good thing confused

THANKS!!!
John

jstiz #405565 03/26/15 02:22 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hi John

Members with more expertise than me will chime in soon; but I would put a wooden stake at the end of each batch of primrose. This will give you a visual marker for how much it expands.

Also put a stake out in the water where it stops growing. I've watched it take over shoreline on ponds in the past so bad that you couldn't fish from the bank. I would think that not having any st
ructure/vegetation primrose might be good for the small fish.

But it will impede your predators from getting to their prey. Just be ready to treat it with chemicals if needed.

Say,I was at the Coonhunters Club shooting sporting clays sunday.We go once a month. Great area of In.

J
jstiz Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That's awesome! I literally live just on the other side of the coonhunters lake over on Delaware Rd!! We just moved in two years ago and I have yet to get a membership there. I like living there because I can shoot in our woods all I want and nobody can get upset smile

I will post some stakes out there to get a better idea how fast it spreads. I could tell last year the Bass were working it pretty good, a lot of swirls around it.

jstiz #405595 03/26/15 05:19 PM
C
CMM Offline
C
Jstiz,

Fwiw, the second year of my pond I had a little wpr, I left it that year. The third year I was afraid of it spreading so I treated it. 1/3 of the pond at a time over about 6 weeks. Everything looked great. Until the following year. FA began growing like crazy! I had none prior, but I had no other plants to take up excess nutrients. I wish I had done things differently. I may have treated some of it in strategic locations, but would not have gotten it all. I would rather deal with the primrose than the algae. I have planted some manageable shoreline plants and have some pond weed growing now and I believe that is helping use up some of the nutrients previously used by the primrose and the algae. You may have different results than I did, of course, because, say it with me, " it all depends".

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

CMM

CMM

CMM #405599 03/26/15 06:05 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: CMM
Jstiz,

Fwiw, the second year of my pond I had a little wpr, I left it that year. The third year I was afraid of it spreading so I treated it. 1/3 of the pond at a time over about 6 weeks. Everything looked great. Until the following year. FA began growing like crazy! I had none prior, but I had no other plants to take up excess nutrients. I wish I had done things differently. I may have treated some of it in strategic locations, but would not have gotten it all. I would rather deal with the primrose than the algae. I have planted some manageable shoreline plants and have some pond weed growing now and I believe that is helping use up some of the nutrients previously used by the primrose and the algae. You may have different results than I did, of course, because, say it with me, " it all depends".

CMM

What did you treat it with? I've used Roundup and it dies but it always comes back from the roots in a few weeks. Since I had the pond cleaned out and enlarged a bit, it is only on the north side and I don't mind a little of it but I don't want it spreading like it did before.

jstiz #405650 03/27/15 08:59 AM
J
jstiz Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well for now I guess I will monitor it and take it out if it starts to take over. Thanks for all the info!

John

poppy65 #405675 03/27/15 11:15 AM
C
CMM Offline
C
Originally Posted By: poppy65
Originally Posted By: CMM
Jstiz,

CMM

What did you treat it with? I've used Roundup and it dies but it always comes back from the roots in a few weeks. Since I had the pond cleaned out and enlarged a bit, it is only on the north side and I don't mind a little of it but I don't want it spreading like it did before.

Poppy65,

I don't remember what I treated it with. Sorry. My memory is not the best, they tell me I can look forward to even more memory issues in the coming years! Yeah. Check labels for water safe usage and effective on water primrose.
CMM

CMM

jstiz #405690 03/27/15 02:17 PM
I had a really bad Primrose problem 3 summers ago...it hasn't come back at all, no idea why. My water looked the best it ever had the year I had all the primrose though...no FA, no underwater weeds, no nothing.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:43 AM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:26 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM