Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Rick O, Theo Gallus, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Sunil), 1,131 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
F
Truth be told all the larger ponds with crapipe gsh have other predat or fish Too. One small crappie pond (1 acre) was just bcp and at the start of year 2 I started working with the pond a little. Put half a gallon of 6" plus golden shiners in. It has a rock face and other good structure and I probably went light on the goldens. Also put five gallons of you fatheads in from a pond that was going dry. Never been able to trap or net a minnow from there. I will try again this summer and plan on adding scudds. The pond received perch the next year but we haven't done a predator yet because this pond over flows into a walleye pond. May have to move a few up stream as all the crappie are stunted.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
fishm_n,

I am not familiar with stocking fish by the gallon. About how many FHM would you guess there is in 5 gallons and how many 6" GSH in half a gallon?

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/25/15 09:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
F
F
A gallon of true fish no water. Take a gallon bucket and drill a ton of holes to let water out. Pour fish in. That measures a gallon of fish. Larger the fish less in a gallon. Not sure on the numbers. I thought the goldens would take as spawners. The fatheads they were yoy. So many of them but easy food. I thought with all the cover some fhm would make it.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Number of FHM per gallon (8 lbs) depends on size of FHM. For example at 1.5" there are close to 5,900/gallon and at 2" there are close to 2400/gallon. At the average large size of 2.5" there are 1200FHM/gallon.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
Thanks bill!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
CJB
Not GSH?

No GSH if your primary goal is big crappie. The GSH compete with the crappies too much for larger invertebrates. Select the smaller forage species and perhaps the chubsuckers as they would be a larger prey item but wouldn't compete for food...

P
P
Oops on the GSH s they were added in the fall along with FHMs to get the BCP and LMB through the winter till the CNBC could spawn this spring for BCP fodder. The bucket stocked LMB were eating all the forage. Can HSB catch the shinners?

T
T
Pat, I think HSB could catch any shiners, this is based only from my experience on how hard they take a bait when fishing. Man!! they will knock a rod out of your hand when they hit smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Tracy
I was figuring if the crappie can't catch them then maybe the LMB might and that should take some of the pressure off the CNBG spawn

Pat

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Crappie can't catch them, they are WAY too fast. confused

Did we lose you somewhere? confused

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
P
TJ
I think so, I was told to add GSH and FHMs, which I did, now I hear BCP can't catch them

C
C
My apologies Pat, The 'confused' icon was meant to indicate that I was not stating it as a fact but more wondering aloud as a question? Asking to be educated. There wasn't a emoticon for 'I wonder?'

Instinctively I think that predators will find a way to catch prey. I have no doubts that walleye, LMB, SMB, and HSB can ambush or chase down GSH.

I imagine there is no reason to think that panfish would have any problems either but I was wondering aloud because I've never seen that topic up for discussion on this forum. It really would be a great topic.

It would take direct observation like having GSH in a tank, or RES in a tank and give them only GSH to eat instead of FHM.

I know that GSH can get to a size that probably a BCP would not be able to swallow them.

The question is as the GSH get larger can they swim as fast or faster, or maybe slower?

Are there studies about whether certain panfish hit a point where they cannot use shiners or certain species of shiners as a food source due to speed/maneuverability constraints?

I imagine in a pond that has lots of minnows and shiners there are enough minnow or SHG fry, insects, bugs and other sources of food that the crappie will just switch to other food sources.

You really would really have to have a small plastic outdoor pond or indoor aquarium to watch the predator vs prey unfold in front of you.

Apologize if I created undue concern about your stocking plans!

Does anyone have only crappie and GSH/FHM in a pond?

Lunker
Lunker
Based on my experience stocking HBCP in pond with GSH as forage they did not perform well - low WR and poor performance despite abundant forage. This is only my personal experience, it's not a rule by any means, just sharing the science from my experiment. I think we've hit on several characteristics which suggest GSH may not serve as ideal forage for BCP:

GSH foraging competition
GSH quick growth rates out of range of gape
GSH pelagic and schooling nature in addition to characteristic speed/elusive nature make them less vulnerable to BCP predation. I don't feel they are too fast for BCP, just far more adept at avoidance than other species.

I think crappie probably hammer their fare share of GSH up to 3-4" for larger fish, but all these characteristics add up as not ideal forage for me. Once a GSH hits age 3 it's out of range as forage. That's not an ideal situation...I'd prefer having SFS shiner where even adults could be used as forage.

Again, my BCP responded immediately when introduced into a new fishery with YOY BG, YP, and RES. Improved fertility and subsequent increased zooplankton presence also probably helped boost performance. Since my YOY BG schools tend to loaf in same areas as feeding crappie [beneath my docks], I think they are relied upon very heavily as forage. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of my BG make it to age 1 - and BCP probably account for a significant share of that predation.

Can GSH work as sole forage for a BCP monoculture fishery? I don't know - only offer one study at my farm where I did not achieve goals I established for the BCP.

I agree with Travis and other's suggestions on alternate minnow species which can reproduce in a pond environment. Smaller shiner species identified in addition to LCS may work too. I don't think we have much science on this scenario on Pond Boss - not many have tried it. That's why I wanted to share my experience, thought it may be helpful.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

Does anyone have only crappie and GSH/FHM in a pond?

Per my previous post - yes - I held a 2 year experiment with HBCP with GSH and FHM as forage base. FHM were extirpated in 2-3 months but GSH populations flourished. WR of HBCP were around 70. That means they were stunted and skinny. Stocked at 3-4" and they grew to 7" in two years.

GSH grow fast and won't serve as forage for BCP for a long period of time. GSH grow up to 10" and can live for up to 8-9 years. They are likely only within gape range of BCP for 1-2 years. At age 3+ GSH are likely out of the gape range of a CP. This is one of the reasons you're getting the less than positive advice on the GSH among other reasons.

Again, per my original post, my apex predators [SMB, HSB] do effectively prey on GSH, even the largest adult GSH. GSH are pelagic schooling planktivores and the HSB and SMB seem to work together to hunt them in packs, especially during feeding times.

P
P
Thanks guys

I am trying to have a diverse forage population for the BCP and the untimely LMB. Maybe the additional forage besides CNBG and soon mudbugs those guys will get enough to eat and prosper. There is also a small amount of gams involved although the LMB YOY keep them whittled down . There are so many variables to all this that it is kinda mind boggling

Pat

Lunker
Lunker
Pat

If you are stocking CNBG, I think your Crappie will do fine on young BG. I think my BG feed my crappie very well. I don't think you should feel compelled to stock special minnows or shiners to try and feed your crappie. With presence of LMB I think you might struggle to get new species established anyhow.

Lunker
Lunker
Sorry for the hijack, Bing!

I hope some of this is useful. Go with Travis' suggestions on minnows/shiners for best chance of success. I would not stock GSH.

Lunker
Lunker
I have been catching GSH in crappie jigs in my pond. I suspect that the larger GSH are significant predators on YOY fry. I stocked 3 dozen the summer of 2011, I suspect this one is from the original stocking as it is now 9-1/2" long.

Lunker
Lunker
She's a beaut - either well fed on pellets, or ready to drop some eggs.

Important to note, maybe - I have caught HSB as small as 24" on 8" adult GSH.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
"As small as 24 inches", he writes nonchalantly.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
Lunker
LOL, just meant that for gape information!

Lunker
Lunker
TJ, did you know that the NE hook and line state record for GSH is 14 oz?

I'm thinking that in another year or two an I might be able to break it. laugh

Lunker
Lunker
I bet we both could, easily.

R
RER Offline
R
yellow fins pretty , mine tend to have red fins...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?