Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Shrimp and crayfish both would feed on pellets washed into shallows of my YP/BG pond last Summer. At least I suspect the shrimp were feeding along with the crayfish. My crays grew fast and large on Aqua Max leftovers.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Grass shrimp prefer vegetated backwaters. They'll also utilize other cover such as woody root masses or rocky crevices.

I observe my grass shrimp feeding on Aquamax pellets. It'll appear the pellet is moving around on its own. A closer look will reveal one or two nearly translucent grass shrimp pushing it around as they feed.

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
My set-up will be 3 IBC tanks with solids separator, biofilter, and sump. My rearing tank is 100 gal with 6 dual sponge filters. I plan to raise zooplankton and supply phytoplankton from a commercial feed. Will supply brine shrimp as they grow. Any advice will be helpful.

Leaders take people where they want to go. Great leaders take people where they don't want to go, but need to go.
S
S
I would sure like to see pictures and reports of your progress as you pursue your project. I think a lot of people would be interested.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
J
I spoke with Carol today at Fattig fish and she was planning on selling grass shrimp again this year. She didn't think she would start until May this year because she had a lot of other things going on. I was glad for the later date because last year I got my shrimp in the middle of an April blizzard. I didn't discuss anything regarding mass orders with pondboss members because I was just excited about the chance of ordering them again.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Good news Joel - I'm still waiting on a call back.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I am very interested please let me know if an order is put together.

Leaders take people where they want to go. Great leaders take people where they don't want to go, but need to go.
V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Just spoke to Carol. Looks like it might be on this year! Great!!

C
C
I'd love to order, keep us posted

S
S
ME TOO!!

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Carol emailed me the other day, sorry I didn't alert you all. She indicated she was back in business - website apparently up and running now.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Great news! Stocking your pond with grass shrimp is an excellent investment. Almost nearly any goal would benefit from stocking them...

Please remind me -- can I stock these in a mature BG/LMB pond with any hope of recruitment?

F
F
Talking GS -I have a question - can you catch tidal water grass shrimp and re locate them to a fresh water pond.
Its always been a great bait in tidal tributary fishing here.
Figuring maybe catch and release. Just don't know if they will survive the water chemistry difference.
I have read that after a big rain the don't seem to be in the same shallows when you are catching them for bait. But that could just be temperature drop
Any of you coastal guys tried it. ?

Last edited by FINnFUR; 05/01/15 08:08 AM.
C
C
I'm worried that with many hungry mouths (YP, GSH, LCS, FHM, tadpoles, crayfish (very few) turtles, a few juvenile RES, LES, and now goldfish) and very little vegetation that I'll be serving a quick snack fest and have no long term success. I think I'll need to wait and see if the vegetation 'fills out' in warmer water temps, or will have to net off a portion of the pond as a growing/breeding area, or think of some other cover.

Does anyone know if they stay shallow? Will they go in gravel or rocks and hide in crevices? If I have vegetation deeper in the pond will they go deeper to find that protective cover?

I did email Carol about some of this and she was helpful but is also busy fielding requests for orders to and want to be respectful of her time. She did suggest having cover and perhaps waiting a bit to stock.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
Please remind me -- can I stock these in a mature BG/LMB pond with any hope of recruitment?

Yes, I recommend some emergent/submergent vegetation present in order for GS to escape predation. However, even in some of my ponds without vegetation the GS persisted - they moved very shallow and foraged and hid in FA in very shallow water [6" depth].

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The coastal species do not survive in ponds.

If vegetation is present, stock the shrimp at night into it for highest survival rates.

We have lots of FA! Will that work?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It is not ideal, but does provide some habitat and food source for the shrimp. If no predators are present, establishment is easy even without proper habitat.

I'd be interested in getting some also. Best way is to go to the website?
I have very little vegetation in the pond. It's new, and the banks are steep, plus it's not full yet. I do have some rock below the surface, and lots of submerged leaves from last fall. My SMB aren't stocked yet, so hopefully survival will be good.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Talked with Carol 2 weeks ago; ponds were too high to seine at the time.
My question for you experienced grass shrimp stockers is how many shrimp would I want to order?
Pond is 1/4 acre with abundant Elodea, FA, cattail and bulrush border, cool water.
Fish are LMB, mostly smaller; YP, smattering of BG-only 18 added last year and no visible reproduction yet, couple of GSF, 5 GC, 16 trout-mix of RBT and BRNT.
Carol was unsure how many PKs I needed so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks.
Roger

R
RER Offline
R
just a note on stocking shrimp early before things can eat them .

Yesterday I had on my mask and snorkel as I was placing a water lily . I took the time to look around a it and I was absolutly amazed at how many grass shrimp I saw. They covered every surface. The entire pond looked like the holding tank that petsmart keeps the feeder shrimp in. When I stock the Golden Redbreast Sunfish in this fall they will have lots of shrimp eat...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
C
C
Maybe I can help? I know nothing about your pond or how well the shrimp will have a hiding place but i can share my experience. My pond is 1/3 acre at full pool, probably most of the year it is 1/4 acre as it is a groundwater pond and now we have hit a dry spell and it is dropping fast. My water temps might be different than yours being you are in Colorado and altitude might make a difference? I do aerate at night in summer to try to keep water more cool.

I had an empty pond last spring except for GSH and FHM. I had minimal vegetation at the time that I stocked the shrimp in April of last year. Later that summer I had an explosion of FA and eurasion milfoil (unwanted!!) so probably there were plenty of places for the shrimp to hide.

My pond is in West Michigan where winter kill was a concern. I was told winter wouldn't hurt them based on them living through brutal midwest plain state winters just fine.

I ordered 100 shrimp.. Seemed like not nearly enough. I figured if they can hide in the algae they may make it. I never saw them again. I figured, I'll just restock this spring.

I ended up treating the weeds but not the FA. I later added RES, LES, (only a few of each), LCS (only 25) and late in the summer crayfish. i have unwanted goldfish and have seen several spawns of FHM, not sure about shiner spawns.

This spring no weeds, almost barren after ice out, ?goldfish or crayfish effect? Some weeds growing back now.

I added 100 perch and this past weekend about 10 pounds of tilapia.

But this spring while raking out the FA I would see 5-10 shrimp in every load of FA.

I don't see them swimming or taking pellets but there must be at least thousands in there by now if i see them when raking the FA.

So if you have no predators or very few like I did and have FA or weeds for them to hide in (probably leaves help too) I bet they make it and in a year or two you have lots of them smile

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/10/15 11:20 AM.
Ok, from all the info above, I think my pond would be a good one for the Grass Shrimp.
How do I get in touch with the seller? Is her place the only one in the US, to get grass shrimp?
Thanks
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Thanks for the replies. Our pond has plenty of cover both in the form of submergent weeds and FA, and several sunken brush piles.
Prolly like you, I've been thinking how can 100 shrimp possible be enough with lots of hungry mouths lurking. But from what I can gather from lots of reading, 100 may be enough to start a good population, as there are both lots of diverse hiding places and plenty of shrimp food.
Has anyone reading this ordered from Fattigs in the last couple of weeks?
And, what experiences are out there regarding their cold water adapted gambusia in ponds with established predators and plenty of cover and some shallow water?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails