Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,766
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
2 members (Theo Gallus, Foozle), 735 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Anyone have any solid proven means by which to discourage Osprey predation? I have one eating me out of house and home... It was neat to watch the first time, but this big fellow appears to have a huge appetite and these are not small fish he is taking.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I can sympathize! First-ever osprey showed up at my little spring-fed pond (in far western Virginia, no less) this week -- and nabbed three nice rainbows, that I know of. I'm hoping this is just a migrant osprey passing through. They're quite common over along the coast in eastern Virginia, but a rare occurrence here.

I, too, would appreciate any advice and guidance on how to discourage osprey visits! -- Mike Smith

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Run some lines from stakes across your pond. If possible use bright colored catfish line to make it visible vs. clear monofilament. Hopefully you only have to do it temporarily.

My state fish and wildlife department is introducing them within 5 miles as the Crow flies (osprey flies). They are as delighted as they are at introducing otters. I'm not!

So far no problems though.

As far as as the heron decoy I've never used them but I've read you have to keep moving them. May be too late now.

I run line with stakes around the pond edge to keep herons from wading in. Quite effective. I also let the dog run them off if they land near the pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Thank you, Cecil! That's a good suggestion, and my pond is small enough that I can do that.

Early last month I had placed a very realistic heron effigy on the edge of my pond to dissuade a local great blue heron from alighting, and it worked for a while (alas, he wised up and came in anyway). Maybe I'll remove the fake heron -- it may have given the osprey a notion the pond was an open (and safe) fishing ground.

I really don't mind ospreys over on Chesapeake Bay ... but the last trout my visitor snatched had to be at least a 15" rainbow. Ouch!

G
G
Osprey that I am familiar with don't wade into the water - they come from high above, hit the water like a missal - or sweep down, grab the fish and fly away.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Yes and the ones I've seen in East Texas aren't that good at catching...they dive and fish a lot but seem to catch very little. You guys must have Ospreys on steriods or maybe mine have better table manners...now water turkeys, thats a different matter.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by george:
Osprey that I am familiar with don't wade into the water - they come from high above, hit the water like a missal - or sweep down, grab the fish and fly away.
George you must have missed the transition from ospreys to herons. Pay attention George! :p

As far as lines crossing the pond from one side to another I can assure you that is not attractive to a dive bombing bird. Many commercial aquaculture facilities use this method. However make sure they are very visible to frustrate rather than injure the osprey.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
G
Sorry about that Cecil,
Since the topic was ospreys and not herons, and as correct as you are, I would not expect you to “transistion” off topic.

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Cecil, I have thought about using the 'stringing line' approach but the area the pond covers makes it next to impossible... or at the very least impractical.

Meadowlark, I WISH this sucker had bad aim...

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by george:
Sorry about that Cecil,
Since the topic was ospreys and not herons, and as correct as you are, I would not expect you to “transistion” off topic.
Me always correct? Now that's funny especially if you ask my wife! \:D

George,

Just in case you thought there was any animosity in my statement there was none intended. I have a lot of respect for your posts.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
On the subject of birds, there is an interesting live web camera feed on a Peregrine Falcon nest at this location:

http://www.scpbrg.org/watchnestcamdowntownSF

Click on "Watch the Live Peregrine"...., then select either low band or hi band, whichever fits your application

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Meadowlark,

Come on stay on topic! George is having enough trouble as it is! LOL

Ospreys to herons to falcons. For God's sake! \:D

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Well, at least it was about birds. That's sort of on topic. \:\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes, at least about birds and not turkeys!

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Figures, I do a search on the keyword 'Osprey' and I find my own 2 year old post asking for suggestions.

Osprey is back and he's bigger and hungrier then ever... another couple weeks and I won't have any fish over 8" left. (It takes 10-20 a day)

I wish the string idea was more practical but alas it won't work for me.

Lunker
Lunker
Pottsy, can you give your fish some overhead cover somehow? A floating dock? A downed tree in the water to hide under?

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
 Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty:
Pottsy, can you give your fish some overhead cover somehow? A floating dock? A downed tree in the water to hide under?
Just too much open surface area and fish that (At least did) swim near the surface. If lumber was cheaper I'd buld a 1 acre dock. ;\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Pottsy:
Osprey is back and he's bigger and hungrier then ever... another couple weeks and I won't have any fish over 8" left. (It takes 10-20 a day)
If there were some way to temporarily muddy up your pond, the osprey would move on. My pond is muddy, and I haven't seen a single fish taken by any birds yet. They fly over, take a quick look, and move on.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Chris, it's been awhile. How are you?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Figures, I do a search on the keyword 'Osprey' and I find my own 2 year old post asking for suggestions.

Sounds like the three s's are in order Pottsy.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I agree with Cecil's 3 S's. It all comes down to who you want to be top of the food chain. You or the bird(s).

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
Hey Chris, it's been awhile. How are you?
Hello Dave! Been pretty good but un-naturally busy since my wife and I have a relatively new baby girl! (5 months old)
I rarely get a chance to come onto the site anymore which is a drag. (And rarely have time to work on the pond... but the Osprey issue is forcing my hand... to do what I dunno... but...)

How are things on your end?

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
 Quote:

Sounds like the three s's are in order Pottsy.
Hey Cecil!
I am leaning towards S.S.S. but I feel bad since the bird is 'protected' and not nearly as common as the other 'predators' I have had to deal with.

I am going to 'plant' as many feeder goldfish tonight as I can. They can be my decoys once they get bigger... of course the LMB will likely take most before they grow to Osprey feed size. HA!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Chris, things are great here. Our 8 year old drought got broken.

Also, I got a Great Grandson about the time you got the baby girl.

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Good stuff there Dave! 8 year drought.. yikes! Hope it didn't come all in one day. Ha ha

I had to re-read that 'Great' Grandson Part... you must be old enough that you had to walk uphill both ways to school... barefoot... in the winter... (Of course in Texas Winter might be pretty nice) \:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/18/24 06:14 AM
How many LMB to remove?
by Foozle - 04/18/24 05:59 AM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump