Quick question. I screwed together some pallets (2 high) and soaked them last year in the pond. They floated pretty much all year and I held them in place with orange drive way fiberglass stakes. This worked pretty well. Most are waterlogged and sinking. I nailed on some black landscape fabric to create a better flat surface for FHM spawning and to create structure/protection for smaller critters.

The dog likes to swim to them and stand on top of them and has torn off the landscape fabric. I'm thinking of pulling the pallets and attaching something more sturdy. I'm thinking remnant shag carpet? I have some remnant flat commercial carpet (low pile) maybe that is better? Or old linoleum flooring? Maybe rubber sheets if i can find some? Other ideas?

I need to create some more structure for the tiny guys to live in. I planted ghost shrimp last spring and never saw any again, they may not have had sufficient cover to escape minnow predation. I'd like to try again with more grass shrimp this spring and also try some scuds (gammarus sp) I have more weeds now so they may be able to hide there but trying to improve what I have as well.

Thanks