Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Painterpond, Energymble, Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann
18,533 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,018
Posts558,558
Members18,534
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
10 members (nvcdl, Ron crismon, Boondoggle, Sunil, tim k, Fishingadventure, etx-pond-c, Eagle26, RogersTailgate, papereater), 620 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lunker
Lunker
"Golden opportunity". laugh

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Shorty
"Golden opportunity". laugh

As long as he don't pee down his leg laugh

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I'm not anxious to step any deeper into this pile of sh*t debate,which never should have gotten to the point where it was taken this seriously. I stopped reading the original posts when "absence of lawsuits against the Purina Company" was offered as meaningful evidence of anything. What was to be next, a debate about whether Spiderman could lick Superman? But if there's a serious chance that Tony will see the need to leave the forum, here goes.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
Tony, the original poster of the Winter Feeding thread, and several other forum members went over the line.
Originally Posted By: me
I believe at every turn during those discussions, you did indeed take the highest of high roads. Your posts were unerringly courteous and thoughtful, while never conceding to a point of view that you did not endorse. There were many times when the rebuttals to your points could have caused you to respond in an inflammatory manner, and you never did. Your conduct during those discourses was a great example, in my opinion, of how one should conduct oneself on an internet forum. Or anywhere else, for that matter.
I stand by this. Show me concrete examples of Tony stepping over the line. In both threads, when another poster became overly agitated, he disengaged and let it go. Read though the other participants posts on the second thread. Seems to me that Tony's rejoinders are the very best examples of how to respond to Round Eye Fever, while not conceding to what may be an invalid argument

But my advice is to man up, put your big boy pants on, stop being a puss-cake, and drive on.
This is hardly helpful advice when feelings are already running strong. Are you trying to Moderate or Accelerate this situation? I would like to hear some of th other moderators weigh in on this, it does seem to get to the really basic priciples upon which the forum was founded.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As one of the other moderators, I appreciate your insight and comments, and those from the others. As moderators, I think we have become somewhat callused and irritated by what has been happening this winter. We've dealt with more personality issues, grumpiness, and rudeness than I've seen in all my years on the forum.

It has been six or seven years since we've seen something like this, and that one was over the use of plain old salt, NaCl. One person was banned. But, a number of us were up, well into the wee hours of the morning, dealing with it.

We try to be fair. The moderators communicate with each other daily. But, we've had a number of issues, especially in about the last nine months, where we've had to do a lot of counseling. We've had push back from a number of users who continue to push right up to the line and cause others to react very negatively, and it quickly degenerates from there.

I would say we've moderated/removed more posts in the last 3-4 months than we've done in total over the last 5-7 years. Most people probably havent even seen most of these posts.

As moderators, I think we are all quickly running of out patience. We've all recently gotten lots notices and PMs from people tattling on others over issues that do not rise to the level of moderation. And, it certainly gets my hackles up when someone starts bringing up legal issues and the court system over being moderated.

Remember, this is a site provided for our learning and enjoyment by Bob Lusk and Mike Otto. It is a lot of work for nearly no return except for good will and friendships.

Lastly, all moderators are volunteers.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yolk, I truly have no interest in trying to prove or disprove anything with any forum member, yourself included. Part of the original issue is/are blatant efforts to disprove or discount what someone else is saying.

There's plenty of innuendo, between the lines insults, calls for civility, and self admissions, starting on page 2 of that thread. There's also posts that were deleted, and self-deleted. Very few have clean hands on that thread. You, yourself, posted a lot on that thread although you didn't seem to take sides. You did seem to credit Tony for his "Shakes head, smiles, moves on" (paraphrase) comment.

You say someone "disengages." Sure, but why was there an need to repeatedly 'engage' in the first place?

As you are very well aware, we really don't treat each other that way, new or old member, 99.9% of the time.

Now, regarding your last comment about my advice. I do disagree with you, but do concede that RAH was much better in his statement, which is very close to what I was trying to say.

Who got banned, reprimanded, or suffered anything bad from any of those two threads??

The answer is nobody. So what is the issue here?

C
CMM Offline
C
I would like to say, as others have, that I appreciate this forum. What I have learned is invaluable. I look forward to different experiences, opinions and even personalities. I believe the job the moderators do is one that most of us couldn't be paid enough to do and they do it for free. Thank you, participant and moderators. Prayers for all of us.
Cmm

CMM

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Its been as long cold winter in the Midwest, and the day today in Indiana has been beautiful. Lets move forward this spring and leave this in the past. I am hopeful as the ice melts on my ponds that the fish fared better than some of us cooped up during the frigid winter. Get outside and enjoy the warmer weather if it has reached your part of the world! And celebrate Super PI Day!

Last edited by RAH; 03/14/15 03:40 PM.
Sure, but why was there an need to repeatedly 'engage' in the first place?

Sunil,

+1 IMHO, this is the wisest statement I have seen made in a good while. Well said!

Bill D

Just for the record, IMO You mods overall do a great job. I do not envy you your headaches!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yolk, I truly have no interest in trying to prove or disprove anything with any forum member, yourself included. Part of the original issue is/are blatant efforts to disprove or discount what someone else is saying.

There's plenty of innuendo, between the lines insults, calls for civility, and self admissions, starting on page 2 of that thread. There's also posts that were deleted, and self-deleted. Very few have clean hands on that thread. You, yourself, posted a lot on that thread although you didn't seem to take sides. You did seem to credit Tony for his "Shakes head, smiles, moves on" (paraphrase) comment.

You say someone "disengages." Sure, but why was there an need to repeatedly 'engage' in the first place?

As you are very well aware, we really don't treat each other that way, new or old member, 99.9% of the time.

Now, regarding your last comment about my advice. I do disagree with you, but do concede that RAH was much better in his statement, which is very close to what I was trying to say.

Who got banned, reprimanded, or suffered anything bad from any of those two threads??

The answer is nobody. So what is the issue here?

The issue, where I'm concerned is to try and prevent such an occurrence from happening again. In order to do that, admission must be made that things could've been handled better, ON ALL SIDES, BY ALL PARTICIPANTS...mods included. And yes, you're all volunteers. I understand and appreciate that. But the thread that seems to be the sticking point happened over two months ago...Where were the mods then?
I went back and checked, two of them posted in the damn thread, and apparently nobody had a problem with what I had said then?

Now, two months later, I get QUOTED from that earlier thread and all hell breaks loose. If it wasn't wrong then, how is it now? If you want me to never step over that line, then show me where the blasted thing's at, and quit moving it around.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Let it go. Life is too short. This is a great forum so lets work to make it a great place to visit. The specifics simply do not matter. Lets get to posting on the great pond experiences!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Believe it or not, That's exactly what I'm trying to do, RAH. Make it better by establishing a few parameters. I don't want to leave, and I certainly don't want a repeat of this fiasco.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you get in my area (30 miles west of Indy) please stop by and have a beer out on our dock with me.

Last edited by RAH; 03/14/15 06:56 PM.
Originally Posted By: RAH
Lets get to posting on the great pond experiences!

I was torn whether to post on this thread again until I saw this post from RAH.

As usual, I think of things in kind of a simple way. IMHO....

The PBF Rules and Guidelines provide criteria as to what constitutes an inappropriate post, We as members need to abide by the rules.

The PBF Rules and Guidelines provide direction to the mods should a post be made that is inappropriate. They are to be deleted.

IMHO The two threads that caused all these problems bring very little value to this forum. Actually, I see them as a big negative. Delete them.

Done

As RAH said, "Lets get to posting on the great pond experiences!"

Can't we just learn from this, not be prisoners of it?

My 2 cents FWIW

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/14/15 08:34 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Appreciate the offer, RAH. Would enjoy spending some time on the dock. You get down this way, be sure and let me know.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
This thread is really interesting, but think you just built a pond wink

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
When I envisioned the high road, it was beautiful. A lofty mountain path, perfectly smooth and easy on the feet, winding between the peaks and valleys. The sun shining down, blue skies, birds singing.

On one side, a pristine, alpine lake filled with giant HBG. This is after all, my vision.

Instead I found a rutted, barren, muddy goatpath, strewn with rocks the size of breadboxes. A dense fog blanketed everything, obscuring the sun. A sewage lagoon ran along one side. Don't want to think about what swims in there. No matter the terrain, I always seemed to be traveling uphill.

So I was pleased when I saw the signs indicating that despite the pitfalls, the road had indeed managed to convey me to my destination. Upon arriving however, I was surprised to learn that the road had brought me right back to the point at which I began my trek.

I was dismayed at first, figuring that the journey had been a wasted effort. This was the destination? But I've already been here?

Then it slowly dawned on me that maybe, I didn't need to leave the place, I just needed to make the journey. People saw. Some asked questions. A few walked with me. But nearly everyone contemplated the reason behind the journey. And that's a good thing.

Then the fog lifted, and the sun broke out. And what do you know, there was a beautiful alpine lake filled with giant HBG. And they were hungry. And I had my favorite St Croix with me.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Then the fog lifted, and the sun broke out. And what do you know, there was a beautiful alpine lake filled with giant HBG. And they were hungry.
Hate to break this to you, Sparkie, but you're actually back at the sewage lagoon. I can tell by what's in it.

But, whatever, we're glad you're here!!

F
F
It's the journey that counts. What we see, observe, and learn.... everyone is on their own, or at least should be, and they occasionally get bumped, intruded upon, woke up...which may/may not change their journey.

If I recall correctly, a few years back, you were in a thread that talked about how people ask for advice and how frustrating that can be. They want a pond just like yours, but then turn around and do something that makes you say "huh?".

My take on it was and still is, if they ask tell them but don't beat it to death. They may not(more like probably) won't listen to what you are saying, but all the same you have said it. It's up to them to listen. Perhaps after several years and lots of "bumps on that journey", they will pull out of that deep abyss of collected information and recall what someone said about such and such. Perhaps then their journey will then come full circle too.

---------

Meanwhile we all continue on our own journey, and I will say that I have missed your presence here and hope that changes and you will continue to bump into my path once in awhile, whether or not I listen is a different story.

Last edited by fish n chips; 03/15/15 08:59 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Then the fog lifted, and the sun broke out. And what do you know, there was a beautiful alpine lake filled with giant HBG. And they were hungry.
Hate to break this to you, Sparkie, but you're actually back at the sewage lagoon. I can tell by what's in it.

Watch out for the brown trout.....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

Wow....I practically butterflied and breaded that one for you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:37 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by FishinRod - 05/19/24 09:06 AM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?