Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I'm looking at an area about 1.5 acres for construction of a new pond. The area has a small creek (about 8 inches of continuous flow and 2 ft. during heavy rains) running through a very steep area. One side of the proposed pond is a bluff area, climable with only a rope from above. The other side is a rolling pasture but about a 45 degree slope to the creek. The elevation from one end of the proposed area to the other is very flat.

I can't excavate a pond 'hole' and let the creek feed the pond as it would be too deep and steep in an area already similar to a ravine or small canyon.

Can I build a dam on each end of the pond and route the creek under the pond via a long culvert or pipe system? If so, any suggestions on the piping material and proper sealing as the pipe penetrates the dam on each end? Also, could I apply clay cover over the creek pipe so the pipe doesn't actually penetrate the dam 'in' the pond but 'under' the water level of the pond.

Thanks for any help!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Parksman,
I really don't think you would be sucessful diverting the creek under the pond. With the potential amount of water flow you have I would bet a 4ft dia. pipe would be minimum. Then what happens if the under the pond pipe stops up .. you will most likely loose both your dams.
Why not build a dam/levie parallel to the creek on the pasture side isolating your pond from the creek?

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
One of the problems of damming a creek is the amount of soil that comes down the waterway after a big rain. You might start out with a pond and end up with a marsh. Look at old beaver dams.

The other problem that comes to mind is lack of control over fish that enter from the creek and possible diseases, not to mention effluents. I agree with Ric; build it elsewhere but close to the creek. In times of drought you could always pump emergecy water from the creek.

P
OP Offline
P
The creek won't feed the pond in any way. Ric has the same concern as me aqnd that is a stopped up culvert under the pond.

I can't really excavate into the pasture because the slope is so extreme the bank would be so high the access to the pond would be unusable. To picture the scenario just think about a small creek in the bottom of a steep sided ravine. The drop in elevation from one end of the property yo the other is very small. That's the reason I was considering the 'under the pond' routing of the creek. There is a significant amount of runoff water and a ground fed spring to supply the pond with water.

Maybe its not a good location? Any other thoughts?

P
OP Offline
P
That's a good point. I'll shoot it with the transit and make certain. I'm guessing its about 15 ft deep. You are correct that one side would be too steep to excavate. It is a bluff wall. The other side could be worked with a dozer and high lift. The pond would be about 200 ft long and 90 ft wide. I had laid it out with a 3:1 slope on both sides of the dams.

My plan was to bury the creek pipe under 2' of clay fill in the bottom of the pond. I was planning on using a 3' pipe with concrete at the culvert entry and grating pipes to prevent large sticks from entering the culvert and lodging inside.

Is this too much of a risk to be successful?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
parksman,
Post some pix of the site.
The grate idea would be high maintenance. If it ever got clogged ...

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!