Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,107
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 739 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey guys,

2-3 months left since my USA fishing trip. I have been trying to decide on a schedule and route for my trip.

I will be in NY on the first of the June. I will rent a car there and i plan to go up to Indiana, to meet Esshup(if he is available by that time). Bob-O also invited me to his place in NE Indiana.

When i asked "where should i go?" to folks in another discussion board they all insisted me to go up to Michigan for fishing. They told me it was a paradise. What do you think? I am not really a trout guy . I am not a good fly fisher. I am more interested in muskies.

After Northern regions i will drive down to NC(to see my host family for a couple days) and then down to Florida for Southern Fishing. Now, i don't know if Florida is a very good choice for fishing(especially freshwater) . And i don't know where in Florida to go , as well.

I plan to buy in inflatable kayak. So i will be free to fish where ever i like without having to go on an expensive fishing charter. Good idea?

As to my fishing purposes, i just want to catch a lot of fish(any species) in a clean and heavily green environment, in fair weather conditions(well... not always) .

So guys, i need to hear some suggestions from you now, to firm up my schedule and purchase car rentals and flight tickets.

Thanks smile .

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 05/03/15 09:16 AM.
L
L
If you stop by Maryland and I have enough notice I can be sure to take you out. I'm not guide, I have a good time on the water.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I wonder if Florida Alligators like inflatable kayaks???

P
P
No but they eat the boat "motor" sometimes

Fatih,

FWIW Inflatable kayak sounds like a leak and problem waiting to happen and perhaps ruin your trip. Just a thought, as it sounds like you will be driving everywhere, rent a small SUV. You then have space to carry all your gear and can rent or buy an inexpensive canoe you can carry around on top of the SUV.

Edit: Don't forget to buy a fishing license for every state you plan on fishing in public waters. Another thought, if you are planning on heading to Indiana first thing, you might want to consider flying into Chicago instead of New York.

Bill D

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/03/15 10:26 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey buddy, sent ya pm. I will be back in Indiana by June for sure.
Lucky7s invite sounds too good to pass up. For southern fishing, you don't need to go clear down to Fl. If you're going to be in the Carolinas area I'll bet ya get some offers from some of those good ol boys out that way. Very good fishin in the eastern mnts. If the Mich guys don't chime in, there is some pretty good Musky fishin right around Cecils place at Lake Webster and Loon lake. My son has a place on Loon and if ya don't mind tents you would be welcome there for a few days. Scott and Cecil should be able to suggest other nearby places.
Keep us all posted as you finalize your plans. Hope to meet you. Bob

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fatih,

Fishing with ESSHUP will be a lot of fun even if you don't catch any fish! Unless conditions are really bad, he will make sure you catch some great fish. He is just a really wonderful down-to-earth person, and one of the best of the best, especially when it comes to fishing, hunting, and cooking. You couldn't find a better person have as a friend.

Going down to Florida should also be a fantastic experience. Florida has it all -- except maybe for muskies. They've got lots of fresh water, brackish water, and saltwater fishing. Fishing Florida is really exciting because you never know what might be on the end of your line.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
B
When are you hitting NC and passing down to FL?

Perhaps a stop in GA might be of interest. We've got some great bass fishing.

Regarding inflatable kayaks, I've taken one around the world because it is a heck of a lot easier to transport than a fiberglass yak. As well as repair. Consider researching Advanced Elements inflatable yaks. Specifically;

StraightEdge Angler http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Elements-A...ight+edge+kayak

and their AE1012-R Advanced Frame http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-...nflatable+kayak

The Angler is designed for fishing with a nice wide open leg area and rod holders, while the AE1012-R is more sporty better tracking and you can use the top over legs for work area. Check 'em out.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you come to the Washington, DC area let me know. I'll be glad to give you a tour of the city and show some great fishing on the adjacent Potomac River.

Online Content
Fatih, please keep us all in the loop, and document, document, document. This could be an epic trip that many of us dream about. No boundaries of any kind is a vary rare thing these days.

AL

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
LukkySeven and CJBS2003, thanks so much for your offers. It looks like Maryland and DC are not on my route, but if it changes i will definitely stop by.

Rainman and Pat... Haha laugh . Is it really dangerous?

Bill, i don't know man. 35$ / day for a canoe sounds insane for me. And i might not be able to find canoe every place i go. I will get licences for sure. My flight is to NY. It is not a modifiable ticket. I will need to buy another ticket to probably Detroit.

Bob, you are amazing, man. How to refuse all the offers you have been making. No, i wouldn't mind staying in a tent as long as there is good fishing. Where is Loon? When i Google it , i see it is in the very southern part of IN. Webster seems to be full of lakes and ponds. Would love to be around there. I guess i will get in touch with Cecil, when the time comes Bob. I don't want to bother him 3 months in advance smile .

Ken , i thought that Florida had hundreds of species as you said but no one agreed with me smile . I will see... I have been corresponding with Scott for more than a year now. He is like a Pond Father to me. He is helping me so much with my impossible pond project in Turkey smile .

basslover , i always wanted to go fishing in GA. But never had a chance. I guess i will definitely stop by(can i have your email adress for further contact). Thanks so much for your kind offer.
If i will pay more than 200-250 dollars for a kayak i want to take it back home. Not just leave it. How much space do they cover? Can i fit one in a large luggage? A luggage = 200 dollars extra on the airplane. So, i am kinda confused. Maybe i should look for smaller kayaks. Something like that would be great http://www.bicsport.com/images/YAKKAir1-Bag_Website.jpg . I guess you are experienced on kayaks. I might send you a message, before picking one.

FireIsHot , when i see someone excited for my trip, i get even more excited. When i saw people wanted to know how my trip would go, i decided to film a little documentary. I will bring some GoPro camera with me and film it. USA is a fishing paradise for Turkish People. Because there is nearly no fish here. I want my people to feel the excitement i will have with every cast. It is like a virgin left in 50 ladies , ready to jump on your lure smile . Ehehe.

Last edited by Fatih; 03/04/15 11:21 AM.
R
RER Offline
R
I am in NE Florida and would be glad to help out if you are going to be near the Jacksonville greater area.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
L
L
Where in NY are you landing?

A great place to fish in NY is on the St. Lawrence river in Alexandria bay. Some of the best Muskie and Pike fishing that I know of is done there, and a very beautiful and unique area. However it is vary far Upstate NY so probably out of your way.

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

Please keep in mind that this country is enormous. I'd hate for you to spend the whole trip in the car. If you look at the driving times on a map you'll get the idea, for example NYC to Southern Indiana is at least 12 hours.

If you will spend most of your time in the middle of the country, I might suggest taking an additional flight to Chicago or Indianapolis and then renting a car there. You could then make a big loop through the midwest and south and fly out again from Chicago or take another one-way flight from some destination down the road and return the car there.

Something like this (http://bit.ly/17Rdsy6) would allow you to see a lot of PondBossers.

P
P
Fatih

Just stretching it a little on the gators... You won't believe how large Texas is if you planning to come here. Sounds like you really gonna have a great time fishing your way across the USA that is a trip of a lifetime. Heck most here would love to do that!

Pat

Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Please keep in mind that this country is enormous. I'd hate for you to spend the whole trip in the car. If you look at the driving times on a map you'll get the idea, for example NYC to Southern Indiana is at least 12 hours.

If you will spend most of your time in the middle of the country, I might suggest taking an additional flight to Chicago or Indianapolis and then renting a car there. You could then make a big loop through the midwest and south and fly out again from Chicago or take another one-way flight from some destination down the road and return the car there.

Something like this (http://bit.ly/17Rdsy6) would allow you to see a lot of PondBossers.

Wow, Bocomo how cool is that! If it were warmer I'd already have my bags packed!

Fatih, just think, all you'd have to do is program addresses into your GPS and put your car on auto-pilot while you're setting up your tackle for the next stop! Just thinking of all the Pondmeister's along that route, the pond knowledge you would gain, the fish you would catch, and most importantly, the memories and friendships created. That truly could would be the trip of a lifetime!

Come to think of it, what if you had a driver licensed in the U.S. to drive you around? You wouldn't need to obtain a driver's license OR insurance? Hmmmmm, now we're talking the trip of a lifetime for two!

Shall I check my calendar? grin

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fatih, you can't come to the US without seeing Texas.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
But DD1 he only has 45days! Takes longer than that to cross Texas

Pat

Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Wow, Bocomo how cool is that! If it were warmer I'd already have my bags packed!

Fatih, just think, all you'd have to do is program addresses into your GPS and put your car on auto-pilot while you're setting up your tackle for the next stop! Just thinking of all the Pondmeister's along that route, the pond knowledge you would gain, the fish you would catch, and most importantly, the memories and friendships created. That truly could would be the trip of a lifetime!

Come to think of it, what if you had a driver licensed in the U.S. to drive you around? You wouldn't need to obtain a driver's license OR insurance? Hmmmmm, now we're talking the trip of a lifetime for two!

Shall I check my calendar? grin

LL I am thinking caravan!

[Linked Image]
Fatih,

Sounds like you have your mind set on a kayak. If you are not experienced with a kayak, I suggest you get one where your legs are not enclosed for when it rolls upside down.

I have never priced an inflateable kayak but $250 seems low for a good one.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/04/15 08:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Fatih, you can't come to the US without seeing Texas.

From esshup's experience, who would want to go to Texas?

Just joking. It's a tad snowy...

Last edited by JKB; 03/05/15 05:04 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted By: Fatih
basslover , i always wanted to go fishing in GA. But never had a chance. I guess i will definitely stop by(can i have your email adress for further contact). Thanks so much for your kind offer.
If i will pay more than 200-250 dollars for a kayak i want to take it back home. Not just leave it. How much space do they cover? Can i fit one in a large luggage? A luggage = 200 dollars extra on the airplane. So, i am kinda confused. Maybe i should look for smaller kayaks. Something like that would be great http://www.bicsport.com/images/YAKKAir1-Bag_Website.jpg . I guess you are experienced on kayaks. I might send you a message, before picking one.

Fishing in GA rocks. The coastal areas have a variety of offerings and N GA is loaded with trout and the Piedmont (think middle to North GA) area is great for bass (largemouth, smallies, stripers and spotted). I've got a pond of course and access to another pond that I call "The Pen" because there are so many 5+ pound largemouth bass it's silly.

I will PM you on this forum so we can exchange email addresses and learn dates you are starting and ending your trip. To get an idea when you may be in the GA area.

With respect to KAYAKS if your funds can afford it do research into inflatables in the $400-700 range. You CAN pick up a much less expensive inflatable, but it is likely to be less stable, terrible tracking, less room, less durable, etc. To avoid losing yourself and or your gear in the drink I recommend looking at this YAK for your first inflatable YAK:
The Straight Edge Angler http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Elements-A...ight+edge+kayak

It weighs 41 pounds and so it fits within the 50LB baggage limit?

It folds down into its own carry bag and the folded dimensions are: 30 inches by 17 inches by 10 inches. So that totals 57 inches which is less than the 62 inches suitcase check baggage limit. So in theory it fits dimensions and weight limits.

This yak is also an open yak allowing you the easiest and fastest means to escape for any reason. You can and will get wet(ter) in the open design, but for a newbie safety and stability are paramount so I think it is a serious contender for you.

You may download the manual and read about its features here:
http://www.airkayaks.info/StraitEdgeKayak2011.pdf

You can see many pictures here that show many people fishing from this yak and how they leverage it for all types of fishing:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...007.EK0GoIv0UP4

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bill, get used to it from JerKB. If misery likes misery, figure it out.
Hopefully Fatif is savy enough to not let one negative person(?) ruin this thread.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
A good bet for Muskie fishing in Michigan is Lake St. Clair.

It's shallow and you can get on it with a small boat or kayak.

A 24hr all species license is $10.00. Muskie are C&R unless you have a harvest tag, which are free.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
First of all guys. I will be charged extra 1000 dollars , only for being 24(under 25) . Anybody can help me with that?(Maybe you know someone to help me?)

BobbyRice , thank you. PM sent.

Liquid i will be landing to JFK. The place you mentioned is real far away from me.

Bocomo, thanks. It will really be the trip of a lifetime smile . I should use my chance very well. I will be flying to either MI or IN. No worries.

Bocomo, Keith, Pat and Dave please don't try to seduce me to be on your route laugh . But danggggg... That's sounds delicious. Meeting all of you and casting to all your ponds. I wouldn't probably need to pay for hotels too. Hehe.

Let's make a little calculation: 7 days in MI and IN + 1 day driving + 7 days in NC + 1 day driving + 3-4 days in GA and SC + 1 day driving + 7 days in FL = Less than 30 days. I tell you what... I don't know if everything goes like this but unless i love a place and stay there much longer , i might have a good shot to be in Texas. I just don't know how to drive there? Too far away... Should be 3 days of driving for my sleepy eyes. Leaving the car in FL and flying to TX and rent another one there, will be little too costy for me but let's see...

Keith , would you seriously like to join me?

Bill and Basslover , if i will leave the kayak in the USA why pay 500 dollars? Extra baggage prices are just so sick. Guess i should find someone to sell it before leaving. Sure i would like to buy a decent one.

Basslover i know GA is very good for fishing. Can't wait to fish together. I definitely want to go with advanced elements. My researches say it is the best for this price range. I might consider leaving the pump and paddles in the USA, to get the weight down a little.

JKB, thanks. This is one of the destinations.

Bob, i guess he was kidding smile .

Last edited by Fatih; 03/05/15 08:38 AM.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails