Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,944
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (Chris Steelman, Rick O, Justin W, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, MOLINER, catscratch, Joe7328), 870 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
My new 2 acre pond had visitors this morning. At 9:00 am I quietly walked down to the pond and instead of seeing my 2 kingfishers sitting around I scared up a large blue heron! As I proceeded a little further another and then another flew up. There were 6 full grown blue herons on my shoreline!! As beautiful as they were how detrimental to my newly stocked pondfish are they going to be?? Should I be trying to get rid of them? This is my first spotting of any since we finished digging the pond on Nov. 1st 2014. Of course we have only had fish in there for about 3 weeks now. Why 6 at a time? As much as I have fished Lake Sam Rayburn I very rarely ever saw 6 at a time and within 100 ft of each other. Any advise would greatly be appreciated. Kind of freaked out about this many at one time.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That is very strange. I thought GBH were very protective of their fishing grounds.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If yer nice you'll get some bottle rockets. If yer not I pity the GBH population. Not really, I dislike those end Cormorants VERY much.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
L
L
As much as I "get rid" of them, they keep coming back. I only have a 1/4 pond, but I see them from time to time. There's plenty of other water for them to find instead of mine. Couldn't tell you the actual damage that they cause, but I don't want them. Same thing with the snapping turtles.

If I remember correctly they're federally protected, without obtaining a permit to remove them.

I've had 2 on my 2 acre pond before but normally just one at a time, I think for the reason RAH mentioned.

It took daily trips to shoo them away, in which they would normally leave just by showing up. But I too have used bottle rockets for the stubborn ones.

I can't tell you how many fish they injured or killed, but I know one is too many! And just finding one fish with a stab wound is enough to get the blood boiling!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
GBH are federally protected - u are correct. Ponds with gradual slopes are most vulnerable - 4:1, 5:1, etc. One of the reasons I promote steep and deep fast is that it limits wading hunting birds' ability to wade far from shoreline, makes hunting harder in deeper water, and reduces their overall hunting "area" to just first couple feet of shoreline. Cecil, Condello and others advocate rebar strung with wire around the water's edge which supposedly the Herons are unable/unwilling to step over to reach the water. Supposedly they do not like to land in water, only the shore, so this effectively discourages them from utilizing a pond protected in this way as a forage source. They are routinely on my hatchery ponds and main pond as well, and are very wary. They can spot me hundreds of yards away, and will take flight before I can get close to discourage them, but they always return. They fly high and survey the property before choosing a pond to target. If they see me on the dock feeding fish, they'll take a sharp turn and head elsewhere. For such a large bird, they are very stealthy.

I'd try the rebar/wire around your water's edge and see if it helps. Maybe Bruce or Cecil will chime in with their direction/experience. Even if you get a predation permit from the state, these are very wary birds, and unless you live on site opportunities to target them would be few and far between in my experience unless you have a 12 ga strapped to your back at all times.

I should add, I have several SMB from my recruitment/grow out pond annually with stab scars on them. No clue how many the GBH end up getting, but it's a disturbing thought. I'm going to string the rebar this year around the SMB pond and see how it works. I'll post the efficacy of the strategy - I should be able to determine fairly quickly as I can see fresh tracks in the silt in shallow water very easily. Hopefully I'll have a promising report.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I do live on the property. The pond is only about 200 ft from my back porch and down the hill.Will these birds go north in the spring and summer? I was thinking I have seen these birds in east Texas year round.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
these are very wary birds

that they are....
one time i was a long ways away from one at my pond
and the bird was aware I was there
i had my rifle with scope..
knew they were protected
but wanted to get a better view thru scope
the bird was fine until I raised that gun up
to look thru the scope....as soon as I started
looking thru the scope he was up and flying away
I guess they are that "aware"...I was like "wow"

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Lunker
Lunker
They migrate, however I'm sure plenty remain to create a resident population in southern climes, like yours. Fortunately we get a break, then again, I'd like to see one try to hunt through the ice.

Yeah Zep...it's like they have a sixth sense.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
P
They and cormorants are very wary birds! I tried to pull a sneak up on the cormorants through the woods.... I can sneak up on deer and pigs... But cormorants and GBH they are sharp eyed ... I would think right now the little CNBG would be in too deep of water for the GBH to get to, nothing is safe from cormorants due to their diving ability.... I will keep trying to "get close " to the cormorants

Any ideas?

Pat

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
TJ,

I've seen Cecil say many times that the GBH won't land in water so the fishing line technique. I noticed an egret this past weekend land in the water about a yard from the shoreline in about 6 inches of water... Have you or anyone else ever noticed this in egrets?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
D
D
Wow I don't know, I have never seen 6 on a pond either. I would be concerned. I have one or two max and not everyday.
I agree on sharp eyes on GPH and cormorants.

P
P
How long do the cormorants stay down south - do they migrate?

F
F
You might have seen more like that because of a change in the weather. They may have been recently pushed of their normal feeding areas. Another thought is that they may be looking to mate up, tis the season?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
They stay in the Louisiana marshes and canals around New Orleans year round

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
This one was fearless, if not even mocking me! Actually I think it was laughing at me, knowing I was completely helpless in my boat. I got several stills and video as well. He was in no hurry to leave!

Just standing there flashing me, and taunting me!

And to know it did this to one of my LMB was just chapping my a$$!

]

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:31 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner