Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
OP Offline
B
No updates for a while. I have a 10" titanium rod in my arm from breaking it 5 years ago. With all of the heavy lifting adding structure I had my lower pin pull out. Therefore I had surgery yesterday morning to remove the pin. So it has slowed me down a bit. Here is what my arm looked like before surgery.

Now to the important stuff. I had a load of very large rock to start placing in the pond. I have 4 loads coming so far. I was able to get it for $75 a load, very pleased with that price. My wife wants to use some of it for landscaping. She can't believe that I want to cover it up with water. lol

Attached Images
arm with loose pin.JPG pond rocks for structure.JPG
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice rocks ! Hope the arm gets better quick - and don't hurt the arm moving the rocks.

B
OP Offline
B
Sorry for only posting pictures of rock but as soon as I heal up and get some equipment these will make some nice structure for the swimmers. The picture shows 3 of the 4 loads that I have had delivered so far. It is freezing cold here in MO. Supposed to be another cold, snowy and freezing rain filled weekend. The pond has over a foot of water in the deepest end at this point. Just from the overflow of the spring. I'm hoping the rains hold off until I can get all of the structure placed.

Attached Images
Rock for structure.JPG
F
F
Ouch!

B
OP Offline
B
I drove out to the land yesterday to see how things were looking. Snapped a few pics for you guys. I am very pleased how quickly the spring is running into the new pond. It is now over 2'deep in the deepest end. You can see some of the structure that I placed a few weeks ago. I have a long ways to go. Hopefully within a few weeks I can start back to doing some manual labor at the pond.

Attached Images
pond 2 feb 26 2015.JPG pond 3 feb 26 2015.JPG pond feb 26 2015.JPG
B
OP Offline
B
We received about 6" of snow. Thought we would enjoy the inside of the pond while we could!

Attached Images
pond snow pile.JPG pond w kids sledding.JPG pond w snow.JPG pond w wife and kids sledding.JPG
T
T
Nice pics. I noticed the pallet pyramid structure and thought I would pass along my experience with the ones I built. I put Christmas trees inside some of mine and weighted them down with a 40 lb bag of cement. That did not work to keep them where I put them. I found two of mine floating one day and had to then add cement blocks tied on them to hold them in or near the bottom. So u might want to add more weight or stake them down where they are before the water rises.
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks, I do plan to add some concrete blocks to them. I have some big rock and brick in them now but I was planning to add more weight. I was sidelined for a while because of arm surgery. Hope to get released and to start working on it again in a few weeks. Hopefully before much rain.

B
OP Offline
B
The pond has over 3' of water in the deep end now. A little bit of it is from a few inches of snow but mainly from the spring. I still have some work to do with my concrete block piles. I was just getting them started when I had to quit because of my injury. Hopefully I can poke around some this weekend. It was down to 5 yesterday and its supposed to be in the 50's and 60's over the next week. Might be a little muddy though.

Attached Images
Pond filling up march 5.JPG Pond filling up 2 march 5.JPG
S
S
Originally Posted By: bowfishersmith
Thanks, I do plan to add some concrete blocks to them. I have some big rock and brick in them now but I was planning to add more weight. I was sidelined for a while because of arm surgery. Hope to get released and to start working on it again in a few weeks. Hopefully before much rain.

Just don't over do it and ruin the surgery. Not worth making it a "permanent" injury.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
OP Offline
B
My boys and I hit it pretty hard over the weekend in between trips to basketball games and church. You wouldn't think it would be so time consuming. I am very sore this morning but my arm has held up well. If you look at the picture that shows the little pond in the background you can see my 11 year old's leaning tower of tires. I ran out of room on my phone and couldn't take any more pictures. Most of the pallets have plastic drain tile and tires in them. They may never hold a fish but they do look nice. I have some really big boulder rock to move but I will need some much bigger equipment to do that. I will also start adding some cut down trees and stumps. Any suggestions or advice?

Attached Images
pallet and rock structures.JPG pallet structures on dam.JPG tire structure.JPG
T
T
looking good, I will tell u when I did my tire things, I drilled holes in the top side of the tires, so air would escape an the tires would stay in place. But half of my tires still floated when the water came up. I then got in the boat and tried to move the tires back to where I first had them. But, they were heavy and I had little luck moving them back. I had my portable hand drill with me and so I drilled larger holes in the top of the tires and they went straight to the bottom. I was not able to hold them up at the surface. So they now set on bottom in the area they floated to. My point here, is make sure u have drilled some holes the size of a nickel in the very top of your tires. I did drill holes in the beginning but I am guessing they were to small or were located in the wrong spot on the tires.
Tracy

Tracy
B
OP Offline
B
That is good to know. We have drilled holes in all of them but they are definitely not the size of a nickel. May need the boys to go back with a bigger bit. I also have them weighted down with some concrete blocks. Some of the structure are also staked down with rods and fence posts.

B
OP Offline
B
More structure. What kind of growth is this in the two pics around the spring in my little pond?

Attached Images
My little helper.JPG Coles Leaning Tower of Tires.JPG More Structure.JPG Spring w growth.JPG Little pond growth.JPG
T
T
I think it is FA, sorry but I have enough trouble pronouncing it much less spelling it smile
Tracy

Tracy
P
P
Yup that's it

B
OP Offline
B
Is there a good way to get rid of some of the FA? Its not all over my little pond but I don't want it transferring into the big pond either.

In my little pond, I skim the floating stuff off with a dip net. If the conditions are right, you won't need to worry about transfer to your big pond, it will come all by itself anyway! grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/10/15 04:29 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
OP Offline
B
We plan to put our house in the area of the walnut tree. The pond is over 450' long, not sure how wide. I really enjoyed the 60+ degree day that we had yesterday. Went out after work yesterday and basically just walked around the pond and day dreamed. It's only 4 miles from my current home. So it is real convenient.

Attached Images
pond overview.JPG
Just found this thread. Very nice looking pond!
I've been going through some of the same situations with building a pond.
Mine is on a smaller scale, and no spring to fill it. I'm waiting on rain, and it's pretty dry in NE Missouri. Plus I didn't come in "under" budget! Ha.
Looks nice. I wish I could have done it when my kids were younger, but it wasn't in the budget back then.
I'm trying to lure the grand kids out now.
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks SetterGuy! This project as along with our 58 acres has been a family decision all of the way through. My wife and I both have pretty good jobs for our area but our pockets are not very deep. We so badly want our kids to have an opportunity that we didn't have so we have made sacrifices to make it happen. In fact I sold my new crew cab truck and purchased a very nice 2004 truck with only 71,000 miles on it just to get away from another vehicle payment. My priorities have really changed in the last few years. Our two boys love being at the "ranch" lol. They are really liking "Money Pit Lake"! Neither of them can wait for the water to fill. I am starting the beginning stages of our 12'x 20' stationary dock this weekend. There will be no walkway. The end of the dock will be in at least 10' of water so the boys should have no problem jumping off of it when at full pool. There is always something to do! Your grand kids will love it too!

B
OP Offline
B
We started building our permanent dock. Decided to go 12'x 16' with a 6' walkway. Was going to do it 20' out to get more depth but couldn't get any materials longer than 16'. So we decided to go ahead and do a walkway as well. The depth of water at the end of the dock should be 9-10' of water. Which I think is deep enough for the kids to jump off of. I was very lucky to have my pond builder to come over and drill the 10 holes for us. He is a great guy! Should look different by next weekend.

Attached Images
dock day one.JPG
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Great start. Looks like it will be a very functional dock. You will get lots of use from it.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
B
Nice!! Building a pond sure is fun isn't it? It's good you're taking lots of pictures. As our pond filled, we marked its progress w/pink flamingos. It was funny to look at all the wildlife tracks that came up to them to check them out. We poured concrete pillars for a dock before the pond filled up but still haven't gotten around to building it yet, and it doesn't look like it will be for awhile. That's no so bad as it always gives us something else to look forward to.

B
OP Offline
B
I was able to get my dad and a friend of his to get the posts set before the rain hits that they are predicting. I couldn't get away from work. My dad is an old contractor and has built many of houses in his day. I hired his friend to help him with some of the heavy lifting and more of the tedious things. I think it is looking really good. We used 5 x 5 posts with 2 - 2x8's for the beams. We have 10 posts and 3 beams. The joists will be on 16" centers. I will be using 2x6's for the flooring. Of course everything is treated. I think it will serve our needs, just hope it lasts a while.

Attached Images
dock day two.JPG dock day two b.JPG
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy