Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 710 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JWF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So as way of introduction...

My wife heard of this site from one of her co-workers, whos husband gave a very strong +++ for Pond Boss.

We bought a property last fall that we plan to move to this summer which has about a 0.2 acre pond. During the purchase process and in the fall, we liked the potential of the pond but is way overgrown and was very full of algae.

The previous owners said there are some natural springs which feed the pond and there is flow (small but persistent) out of it into nearby waterways.

The property overall has not been maintained for something like 10-12 years so there are many downed trees laying in the water and lots of invasive species of growth on the banks of the pond.

Since we have had 2 weeks of near zero weather I took about 5 hours yesterday to chain saw and remove a lot of the growth and trees/branches that were fallen over into the pond. I figure I have about another 5 hours to get the majority of the circumference cleaned up.

I have used forums similar to this for other activities so I hope to get lots of advice on what to do to make this an attractive and healthy feature and to raise some fish.

Welcome to PBF JWF!

Your wife's co-worker's husband is now your best friend! You have just joined the best pond forum in the world. I say that cause there are members literally from around the world and the pros here are at the top of the field. They will be asking you questions so post a little more info on the pond if you have it. Depth and current fish population? Your goals for the pond? Looking forward to seeing some pictures too!

Edit: I left out the best part. You get the advice of the top guys in the business for free! grin

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/01/15 09:55 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
C
JWF, also a hearty welcome from another Michigander. I'm from the west side of the state near GR, what region of Michigan you from? There are several east and SE MI members of PB with lots of experience and very nice ponds. Tons to learn, just fire away your questions. I agree that pictures help too. You might want to learn a bit about your water quality when ice is out and also the soil at the bottom of the pond.

My pond is also small, probably 1/3 acre or less and it is plenty big enough for me to maintain by myself. Do you have lots of trees and leaves in the pond? that may be the first project, determining how much muck you have in the bottom.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/02/15 10:16 AM.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Another mini pond member. Welcome! The best part of a small pond is it's easier and cheaper to fix mess ups. You came to the right place.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
J
JWF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Here is a summer picture when we were in the property purchase process and a winter picture from about the same spot. I am going to post on the main forum (I think) thread to start getting input. Thanks to all and I am happy to find this 'community'.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af200/motogman/Winter%20sm_zpszlujhhzw.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af200/motogman/Summer%20sm_zpslvqcthmf.jpg

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
That pond to me looks like it is a good candidate for a complete pond renovation. It does look like a good pond for amphibians. I suspect that it has frequent fish kills especially during winter due to dissolved oxygen loss. The main thing you should do when the ice melts is to determine how deep it is and how thick the muck layer is on the bottom which is likely 3ft+ thick.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JWF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I plan to take a half day tomorrow to cut some more brush around the edge and will take a hatchet to try to cut a hole in the center to probe the depth. I have posted on another forum that seems to be where the most viewers are located. hopefully that is the right thread to start gathering recommendations on how to do the renovation recommended.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Once the ice gets 10" thick it is hard to cut a hole in the ice due to the handle hitting the side of the hole as you get deep into the ice.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Welcome JWF!! Where about in Michigan?

You mentioned a small, but persistent flow to nearby waterways. Are these State waters?

That would be a nice thing to know up front, and is any of this considered a wetland area?

Usually swampy stuff like you have with a spring or two, may have gotten into the database. Every pond around here has.

If it is a classified wetland and/or feeder source to State waters, I would want to make sure! If it is, don't touch it!!!

You'll have to go thru some aggravating BS with people that don't know what the hell they are doing!

I understand that the Gestapo the Mole set up is pretty much disbanded, but would not want to take a chance on the remnants that are in place.

J
JWF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Good point. I have plenty to do without fighting the thickness of the ice.

I think I have fixed the picture...

One of the other posters mentioned this pond probably has lots of leaves and muck - I agree. How do you clean that up?

J
JWF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
JKB...

Prior to purchasing the property I did a bunch of research and checking and this is not a registered or controlled body of water. I was worried about that for the reasons you allude too.

C
C
Any updates JWF?

M
M
Here are a couple hand tools you may be interested in to help in maintaining your pond. Go to following websites
www.weedgator.net
www.cattailcutterpro.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass