Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 755 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#402478 03/01/15 06:04 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I am wanting to buy a tractor. I have been borrowing equipment and I am done with that. I have 60 acres 1/2 timber and 1/2 open. I just dug a 2.5-3 acre pond. I need something that I can mow, brush hog, landscape, and most importantly use to put in about 5 acres of food plots. I am thinking a 40-60 HP 4wd tractor with a loader. I know I would have to use a smaller disc and brush hog but I don't mind spending a little extra time because I enjoy the work.

Do you think this sounds suitable? Those of you with experience please let me know what you think. I do not have a preference on brand.

Thanks for any information and advice.

P
P
I bought a Kubota MX-5100 4WD with 6'house shredder and a 6' box blade,FEL,51 hp turbo. So far it has been great. I went with a name brand because there is a lot of off brand stuff out there- here today no parts tomorrow- wasn't worth the chance. The dealer is top seller and don't think anybody can beat him. I will give his contact info via pm

I have65 ac. And it has done well

Pat W

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 03/01/15 06:51 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
You need to consider if you want a category 1 or 2 tractor. I have one of the larger HP category-one tractors. It is a JD-1070 that I bought back in 1990. I'll let you know how well it lasts after another 25 years if I make it that long:) Buying a tractor with a nearby dealer is useful if you need parts. I did not buy JD implements though. My loader is Great Bend, my brush mower is Bush Hog, my finish mower is Woods, and my rototiller is Land pride. Kubota is a well respected brand tractor as well. Go for 4-wheel drive if you can swing it.

Last edited by RAH; 03/01/15 06:33 PM.
S
S
Deere's 5000 economy series are competitively priced with other brands. We have owned a number of them over the years when we had a commercial turkey grow out operation and I currently have a 5083 to play with.

Also have a 3038 hydrostat that I like that was also priced pretty good but it is only about 36 hp so likely smaller than you want.

The smaller hydro tractors are a joy to operate and handy as a shirt pocket. Very quick cycling, although a hydraulic reverser on a gear tractor makes loader operation a lot more effective and a little more closer to the handiness of the hydro. But if you want larger size implements to cover larger tasks, the small tractors are not quite up to it. Mowing large areas that are rough like a pasture they will beat you to death also.

If you have a bad back, pay attention to the seat suspension. It will make all the difference in the world.

Last edited by snrub; 03/01/15 07:21 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
T
+1 on a hydrostatic tractor. At 60 acres I'd lean to the 40-50 hp. Min. You need to shop the dealers close to you and pick the dealer. I'd stick to the major colors green, orange etc.
personally, I landed on green and would never look back. My pick for you would be a slightly used Deere model 4520, and since you will be brush hogging look at the cab. For my project I picked the slightly smaller version with the 3320. It would do everything you asked but would take longer because of the slightly smaller implements.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

D
D
We went with the DK45 4X4 hydro stat cab kioti. They run a bobcat motor and loader quick attach. 45hp.

We have 100 acres here but shes is just used for cutting grass and blowing snow. 6' bucket, 6' blower, and 6' mower.

We got this after running a Kubota L3110 four wheel drive hydro. With 30hp.

I really recommend the industrial tire. This is after having the ag tire like on the JD above and turf tires we had on the Kubota. If your blowing snow or pushing heavy with the loader you will love them. Then back to cutting grass they will not cut in on you when its wet.

Get the most power for the tractors size. This you will not regret ever. When they change the wheel base for an extra 10hp its not worth it for the weight added.

Love the Kioti and cab. Nice AC when cutting grass, no dust or allergies, no sticks in the face and best of all no heavy snowmobile helmet blowing snow. Just a T shirt.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0870.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
C
I think the most important factor is finding a good dealer.

B
B
If you consider investing in used equipment here are a few web sites you might find what you're looking for:

http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/

http://www.machinerytrader.com/

https://www.rbauction.com/used-farm-equipment

All advice and observations above are right on. In particular, I'd second snrub's recommendation to pay attention to the seat suspension, even if you have a good back. My next upgrade for my present CUT (compact utility tractor) will be a new seat arrangement. My back holds up to 8 hours of running small or large chainsaws, but put me on my Ford 1720 for a few hours of logging or snow plowing, and I'm stiff and sore.

If you like to research the internet, you might try tractorbynet.com for info about sizing, brands, dealers, pics, advice, DIY projects, on and on. IMHO, that forum approaches Pondboss in usefulness.

And, do your best to keep the tractor out of deep water. But come to Pondboss for help if you need to retrieve it...

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I ended up with a 4WD Kubota L3400...34 HP only pulls 5 ft. implements but reasonably priced and feels solid compared to others I "test drove." No bucket even thought it'd be handy if I did have one.

I went to a website tractorbynet.com for some helpful information and a forum to get some generic and specific info before I bought mine in 2006

Note that tractors were in short supply in south Mississippi just after Katrina so I had mine shipped from Kentucky.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
T
T
I bought an orange one with 4 wheel drive. it's is a 34 hp with the all Terrene tires. Like you I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions and then purchased the Kabota. So am I happy with my purchase? u betcha, would I do anything different, u betcha !! I would buy one with the ability to pick up more wt with the front end loader. Sure, it will pickup a full bucket of Agg lime and or dirt, but it wont pick up the heavier stuff, like a big tree trunk or 3' cement culverts. And it does not have a back hoe. Wished it had a back hoe smile So I suggest u look ahead and plan on spending a bit to get all of what I mention here. But if you can only get one of the thing I bring up, then make it 4 wheel drive because it will be the biggest regret u will have is with out it.
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
I've struggled with this over the years....do I invest in a single machine solution with a newer machine, understanding that I'm going to have 5 digit cash involved? Or is there another option?

For me I've ended up with older, specialized machines....I currently have a 3 machine combination that suits me. I've got a Massey Ferguson 2135 with a loader for dirt/rock work, a Massey 50 for bush hog/finish mowing/tilling/box scraper work, and an International 2504 with a side mount articulated sickle mower for pond bank duty and the occasional high HP towing/pulling needs.

I have the same $$ or more invested in my machines than I would have had I bought a new (or newer) 4X4 machine when it comes down to it. But for me a multiple machine answer has been the best. But I've got plenty of storage and the shop and tools to keep them running. That won't work for everyone.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
B
OP Offline
B
I have been looking for a few months and keep struggling with the direction that I need to go. I have no mechanical background so I would like to get something newer thinking that I may have less issues in the future, or at least have local support from a dealer. I do think a 4x4 will be the direction that I go. I enjoy reading everyones comments and pictures. I am sure it will end up being like my bass boats. Start at what is affordable and then getting bigger and better every year after lol.

D
D
I have had IH , Kubota, I agree with then dealer statement. Not many Case IH dealers around me. I like My IH better. Got a 70 Hp Kubota for my wife, in 2007 , no problems except front seals and that was self induced by hay netting. My only disappointment is handling the Big round bales , had to fill the tires with fluid and watch uneven ground with the Kubota. It is just short wheel base.
If American Made is Important Look where the tractor and Engine is made. I was surprised to find some Jon Deere had overseas Engines. Good tractors though.

M
M
The closer the dealer the better off you will be. Getting it worked on will be a lot easier especially if they come out, but also when you get parts the closer the better.

P
P
The Kubota dealer I bought mine from beat everyone's price by over 5K that's a lot of moola. There are no smaller tractors make in our country... Very sad.... Reason I went with Kubota vs others is it is made in Japan not China or Korea,plus they have a solid background unlike the fly by night brands... My friend bought one of those off brands.... They gone.... And no parts or service.... Piece of mind and the fact that you need a tractor for a long time... The Kubota MX5100 is a medium frame tractor but it will maneuver in tight areas such as woods... That makes a big difference

Pat

P
P
The only tractor I have is an 8n Ford. I just use it for bush hogging and blading the lane. Had it for 20 years with no repairs. I bought a used Terramite mini backhoe about 8 years ago from a rental place when they bought new ones. Got it for 4K and use the heck out of it. The front bucket saves me lots of lifting and is great for pulling fence posts. The weight of the backhoe gives great traction and digs a prettily impressive hole.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Poppy, I also have an old 8N and like it. The problem is that I like using my 38 HP JD more. I haven't cranked the Ford in 3 or 4 years.

The JD has turf tires(expensive mistake that I'm living with),4wd, shuttle transmission and FEL. The JD is about 10 years old and has less than 500 hrs on it. I use it mostly as a utility tractor and to put in wheat for the deer, bring in firewood, etc. The local dealer went broke. Running a business, booze and bimbos was too much for him.

The only problem I have with the JD is the cheap plastic cowlings. My land is extremely rocky and the only plastic that hasn't broken or cracked from vibration and the FEL shaking around is the fenders. Maybe any or all of the newer fiberglass tractors would have suffered the same fate.

A couple of things to think about. A grease gun is your best friend. Unless you are farming, a tractor without a FEL is only half a tractor. A FEL without 4WD is almost useless. Rear tires without weight can make an ugly corpse.

I don't use the ROPS or seat belt like I should. That has been a bad, dang near, fatal mistake on 2 occasions.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/03/15 05:11 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Dave, please wear your seat belt !! When I was young and first starting out in family life, I was an ambulance driver/attendant in Vernon Texas. A lot of farming goes on around that part of Texas. In two years, I was called out on 2 occasions, for tractor turnovers. Both were young guys and they did not survive the turnovers when trapped under the tractors. Today most tractors have roll bars and will keep the tractor off of you when you wearing a seat belt that hold you in place under the roll bar. Wear your seatbelt.
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
T

Good point on the seatbelt, but they're of little help without a ROPS. I put a ROPS on my older 1971 deere and wear a belt. When you live in a state like WV I think its a must, nothing is flat. Having 2 tractors is really nice because I have a backhoe on my primary worker that never comes off. Having another to mow and work the ground saves me a lot of time. Here is a sample of some of the slopes I mow.

Lunker
Lunker
We bought a 1967 Oliver 1650 gas tractor a few years ago, it works great for our acreage needs. 67 HP, it came with a loader, shredder, and an 8ft blade, the back tires are fluid filled.

J
J
I have two tractors the first being a JD 790 4x4 and the second a Mahindra 6530 4x4. Fortunately, in my area we have JD and Mahindra dealers which has been said is an important consideration in making a decision in buying a tractor. My 790 has been put through it's paces and amazes me in what it has been able to do and handle. My 6530 is simply a 'beast'. Thus far, I have primarily used it to clear and haul timber as well as brush. Dealer access and parts availability are two of the most important considerations

P
P
I looked at the 46hp mahindra and decided to go Kubota for many reasons, one being that the Mahindra was so loud even at idle the you would have to wear hearing protection just to idle. The other was the exhaust stack came up in a way that would get tore off with the youpon that I need to clear

Pat

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
One of the times I spoke of was just stupid to even attempt or even talk about.

The other was when I went straight down a hill, about a 30 degree angle, to scoop up a load of wet sand to haul to the house and let dry for kids to play with. The whole works started going over forward and, thankfully, I had the presence of mind to quickly stuff the bucket back down. Then I walked to the house for a shovel to empty out the sand.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails