Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 481 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
OP Offline
J
As some of you might remember, I decided NOT to take the advice of letting fish starve through the winter months.

Instead, I fed my Coppernose bream through the winter. And not just a little bit either. I fed these fish until they weren't hungry anymore. Currently , water temperature in my pond is 51 degrees F.

There are good guys here that know exactly what they are talking about. They will go nearly overboard and bend over backwards to help people here and give friendly advice. This forum is a fine forum and the members here are very helpful.

Having said that, I got advice about how winter pellet feeding is useless. That it is a waste of time. That winter pellet feeding will not benefit growth, because a fishes metabolism slows down once the water temperature drops ( which is true but it doesn't stop completely) That the fish will eat the pellets but not process the pellets correctly, thus growth will be nothing short of non-existant. That it is unhealthy to feed pellets during the winter months. That a fishes health would suffer due to feeding pellets regularly through the winter. And I would have to go back and look but there was a host of warnings, a very long list of why not to pellet feed high protein during cold water months.

It is starting to warm here a bit now. Spring is right around the corner. But today I bring you results of feeding during the winter months. They are hitting the Crickhopper lure made by Rebel which is a fairly sizable lure for Bream.

This fine specimen is smaller compared to the two I caught yesterday but did not have my camera out there with me yesterday. Trust me when I tell you, some of my bream are quite a bit larger than this. They are drop dead gorgeous, if I do say so myself.

The fish were caught, gently handled, the hooks came out easily, then released. My goal is 2 pound plus coppernose.
Do not know if that will happen, but it does appear that I'm headed in the right direction.

I give you results.

Last edited by Jason007; 02/22/15 04:20 PM.
A
A
Impressive, Jason. Congratulations!

Did you use floating or sinking feed? I've heard sinking recommended for cold water conditions as it gives the bluegill more time to eat the food, but this may or may not be valid. My pond is in extreme eastern Texas, near Hallsville, so if winter feeding helped you, it should work here too. I hope so!

Last edited by anthropic; 02/22/15 04:16 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Impressive, Jason. Congratulations!

Did you use floating or sinking feed? I've heard sinking recommended for cold water conditions as it gives the bluegill more time to eat the food, but this may or may not be valid. My pond is in extreme eastern Texas, near Hallsville, so if winter feeding helped you, it should work here too. I hope so!

Thank you sir.
I use only floating pellets. I wanted to see and monitor the action. With sinking pellets you don't know what's happening, how much is being eaten...or when to stop feeding.
I feed my fish until they stop eating. A fish will know when it's not hungry anymore.

Barring what may happen here when I give you this advice....I broke the rules. I do not know if it's wise to give you this advice.......but if it were me, I would do it. I would feed those fish.
The results speak for themselves, my friend.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Jason, I'm happy that your fish appear to be growing well. However, winter, to me at least, is more than a date on the calendar. Your water temps are 51 degrees right now, during the winter. If I were to take the time to chop through the ice on my ponds, I am fairly confident that my temps are in the mid thirties...during this same time period, in the winter. HUGE difference.

That's why most here are cautious about making blanket statements, such as saying it's ok to feed all through the winter. Too many variables such as water temps, that can make a difference.

What works for one pond in one location may not be advisable for another pond, in another location.

Also, in order to have any chance of determining the effects of winter pellet feeding, you need to select a group of bluegills, weigh them, place them into a cage, feed those fish throughout the winter, then weigh the very same fish again in the spring. Within every year class of bluegills there will exist individuals that exhibit both faster, and slower growth than the general population. How do you know that the bluegills you have caught recently weren't already in the higher percentile class before winter set in? In order to be conclusive, you have to judge the effects of winter feeding on the SAME group of fish, not select samples at random.

I'm happy for you, and I admire your enthusiasm for your bluegills.... I love seeing that in other pondowners, and I feel much the same way myself. But science is more demanding than that. Keep going, keep learning, and keep growing those fish. I'm hoping to see some giants!

Last edited by sprkplug; 02/22/15 05:21 PM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I recall your old thread about winter feeding but do not remember the stocking date and the size of these fish when stocked. Could you provide that information?

Great looking fish and if they were stocked as fingerlings last fall they have done well.

I think some of the guys up north would have to drill through a foot or two of ice to winter feed, which might not work out as well as it did for you. You southern guys have a lot longer growing season.

Last edited by snrub; 02/22/15 06:54 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Jason007
As some of you might remember, I decided NOT to take the advice of letting fish starve through the winter months.

Instead, I fed my Coppernose bream through the winter. And not just a little bit either. I fed these fish until they weren't hungry anymore. Currently , water temperature in my pond is 51 degrees F.

There are good guys here that know exactly what they are talking about. They will go nearly overboard and bend over backwards to help people here and give friendly advice. This forum is a fine forum and the members here are very helpful.

Having said that, I got advice about how winter pellet feeding is useless. That it is a waste of time. That winter pellet feeding will not benefit growth, because a fishes metabolism slows down once the water temperature drops ( which is true but it doesn't stop completely) That the fish will eat the pellets but not process the pellets correctly, thus growth will be nothing short of non-existant. That it is unhealthy to feed pellets during the winter months. That a fishes health would suffer due to feeding pellets regularly through the winter. And I would have to go back and look but there was a host of warnings, a very long list of why not to pellet feed high protein during cold water months.

It is starting to warm here a bit now. Spring is right around the corner. But today I bring you results of feeding during the winter months. They are hitting the Crickhopper lure made by Rebel which is a fairly sizable lure for Bream.

This fine specimen is smaller compared to the two I caught yesterday but did not have my camera out there with me yesterday. Trust me when I tell you, some of my bream are quite a bit larger than this. They are drop dead gorgeous, if I do say so myself.

The fish were caught, gently handled, the hooks came out easily, then released. My goal is 2 pound plus coppernose.
Do not know if that will happen, but it does appear that I'm headed in the right direction.

I give you results.

Jason, really nice CNBG – one if my favorite fish!
No advice from me, but lots of CNBG experience to share!

About forum advice, first if all, I determine if advice is regional and experienced based – I don’t overthink this stuff.
My feeding schedule is seasonal based, feeding more in peak growing periods and less in the hottest and coldest weeks, essentially year round. I let the fish tell me want they want.

There are so many variables involved, there are no set rules for me – our CNBG may be on a feeding frenzy in one pond and inactive in the other.

I say go for that 2 pounder, feeding based on observation.
Good luck with your program.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

T
T
Jason007, I also fed during the winter with the CNBG stocked in late November when the water temp was 51 and was advised to do so 1 second per day by Walt @ Overtons. I am along the La/Texas border in NE Texas. When the water temps got to 58 I fed 3 times per day in 2 second feedings. 8 am, 12pm and 5:20pm. I never saw them just tear the water up. But I did see them feed at every feeding. When this cold front came in last week and again today the water temp is 51 and I was just about to ask Bob Lusk @ the PB Conference when he said he feeds till water temps hit 46, so I continue to feed. And I have no idea what size my fish are. I am not even sure how many have made it through the winter. I hope u continue ahead to your goals. smile
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Also, in order to have any chance of determining the effects of winter pellet feeding, you need to select a group of bluegills, weigh them, place them into a cage, feed those fish throughout the winter, then weigh the very same fish again in the spring. Within every year class of bluegills there will exist individuals that exhibit both faster, and slower growth than the general population. How do you know that the bluegills you have caught recently weren't already in the higher percentile class before winter set in? In order to be conclusive, you have to judge the effects of winter feeding on the SAME group of fish, not select samples at random.

I kinda figured something like this would come up. I understand what you're trying to say and there may be some scientific merit to be had. So let me start from the beginning.

The fish in the first set of photos IS one of the smaller first year coppernose. Some of the ones I have caught are considerably larger. Over 9 inches Believe it or not.
I have the proof to back it up. So let us continue.

My coppernose were stocked on may 17, 2014. The majority of them were an inch to an inch and half long with lots of smaller ones than that and a few 2 inch fish.

My growing season for these fish was from may to late October when the water temps started to drop pretty good. Lets say 5 months. 1-2 inch fish can't really take pellets, so I didn't really start feeding until, I would say at least , July.

The growth rate I have personally witnessed from November until now, is nothing short of amazing. They said it couldn't happen. It did happen. I'm not trying to be a jerk and rub anyones nose in anything but I told y'all on the first topic where we had the big go round that I would post results, and that there would be no adverse effects and I nearly guaranteed that. I did everything but give a 100% guarantee.
I understand fully that different areas require different management. But here down south, Now I give you a 100% guarantee that feeding your fish high protein pellets through the winter months will absolutely NOT adversely affect your fish. On the other hand what it will do is grow your fish and that is also a 100% guarantee, and I stake my good name on it.
Absolutely, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I am so confident in this that I would advise the gentleman from Hallman Texas to absolutely feed his fish as much as they can take through the winter months, in east Texas.

The fine specimen posted below was caught at 5:05 pm central time Feb. 22, 2015 ( this afternoon) and was gently handled , measured and released quickly. This fish went from 2 inches maximum, to 9 and 1/8 inches, since May 17, 2014. The fish was measured while still hanging on the hook because I did not want to lay this beauty on the ground in the dirt and leaves and wanted it back in the water as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, I do not have a photo with the tape measure next to it, as this is hard to do by yourself with a fish hanging from a hook suspended in the air. The two I caught yesterday were larger than this.

The results speak for themselves. The photos confirm it.

Yeah I know. I have fairly large hands.

Last edited by Jason007; 02/22/15 09:36 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I have been confident, and subsequently incorrect, more times than I would like to admit. Confidence does not guarantee correctness.

"The fine specimen posted below was caught at 5:05 pm central time Feb. 22, 2015 ( this afternoon) and was gently handled , measured and released quickly. This fish went from 2 inches maximum, to 9 and 1/8 inches, since May 17, 2014"

Okay, but how much of that growth occurred during the winter period, say the previous 60 days? That's why the fish are weighed before and after winter....to see how much growth was obtained during the colder months. Maybe that fish was the very same size in November, or only gained a small amount over the winter?? Your winter is my fall...I see green foliage in your photos. I can't see the ground here due to snow cover. Big difference.

Another poster indicated hearing Bob Lusk say he fed until the water temps dropped below 46 degrees. What is his reason for discontinuing feed in colder water?

J
OP Offline
J
I have been confident, and subsequently incorrect, more times than I would like to admit. Confidence does not guarantee correctness.

"The fine specimen posted below was caught at 5:05 pm central time Feb. 22, 2015 ( this afternoon) and was gently handled , measured and released quickly. This fish went from 2 inches maximum, to 9 and 1/8 inches, since May 17, 2014"

Okay, but how much of that growth occurred during the winter period, say the previous 60 days? That's why the fish are weighed before and after winter....to see how much growth was obtained during the colder months. Maybe that fish was the very same size in November, or only gained a small amount over the winter?? Your winter is my fall...I see green foliage in your photos. I can't see the ground here due to snow cover. Big difference.

Another poster indicated hearing Bob Lusk say he fed until the water temps dropped below 46 degrees. What is his reason for discontinuing feed in colder water?

Nah, I have been posting photos of the fish and they have substantially widened and put on length over the last 90 days , November through January and 22 days into February........112 days.

I cannot argue with you about geographical location. I understand that is different.
However......I was advised NOT to feed high protein once water temperatures went below , some 55 degrees?
You can always go back and look a the old thread and see exactly what I am talking about. That has ALL proven to be false. ALL of it. How much more proof do you require? Because I am reasonably sure that I can make that happen. I 100% guarantee it. I can also guarantee you that I did not capture one fish in a cast net, or by rod and reel, that measured over 9 inches, 100 days ago.

There have been no adverse effects on the fish. None.
All they have done is get really wide and heavy.

Further evidence
This was one of the larger Bream in my pond , and this pic was taken October 5, 2014.

And here.....Feb 22, 2015....TODAY.
Can you not see the difference?

Last edited by Jason007; 02/22/15 10:45 PM.
J
OP Offline
J

The results speak for themselves.
I guarantee correctness 100% in this case.
Without a doubt and unequivocally.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Jason you have some dandy fish, and I hope you continue to learn, and share what you learn. That's what I'm trying to do also. But as I cannot make you see where the error lies within your theory, I will simply wish you well, and bid you continued success.

J
OP Offline
J
But as I cannot make you see where the error lies within your theory,

From what I see and judging by the results presented.........it's not my theory that bit the dust, with authority.But we can go back and look at that other thread and see exactly whose "theories" fell apart like I kicked kicked a jigsaw puzzle from the 30 yard line with 5 seconds left in the game.

A
A
I suspect that cold water feeding gets a bad rap because it is easy to overfeed. Metabolism slows, fish don't eat as much, so if summer feeding program continues there will be lots of waste and possible problems. Besides, if fish don't eat as much, how can they pack on weight?

But maybe we should reconsider. At the Pond Boss conference we learned about a big research project on the skinny bass of Grand Lake. They were skinny, the researchers discovered, because they roamed the lake in search of food. LMB were traveling 1 or even 2 miles a day, consuming a ton of calories to do so.

They resembled marathon runners rather than couch potatoes, but when it comes to bass, we anglers want fat couch potatoes. Now the researchers have placed artificial structure in the lake in order to get the bass to get their food without burning it off going all over the lake.

With that in mind, what if the cold water metabolic slowdown seen in BG is a blessing as well as a challenge? Sure, they eat less, but then they burn less, too. Result: weight goes up, even with less feed.

Maybe there are temperatures where feeding ceases altogether. Maybe pellets would have to be downsized, too. However, ice fishing for BG up north can be very productive, so we might be surprised.

Love to see more research on this topic.

Last edited by anthropic; 02/23/15 02:04 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jason, it damn sure wouldn't be me that told a guy from a warm weather area to not feed during what we call winter. Actually I freely admit that my advice is pretty useless in areas North of me. The fish in different climates have different metabolisms.

Right now, it is sleeting with air temps in the mid 20's. My fish won't feed or bite during this. When it warms into the 60's or 70's they will start again. And yet the guys up North are ice fishing and I don't envy them one damn bit.

One thing that you can take to the bank is that your fish, and mine, may or may not live long enough to make it to 2 pounds. As usual, it all depends.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/23/15 07:02 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I'm confused here? So you want to plead your case which is fine but you also want to make sure everyone knows you got some bad advice? I have a pond here in Arkansas have had it since 2009 I stocked CNBG in it in May 2010 they were 2 to 4 inches. I caught this bute below this last may. 4 years 11 inches long. It was close to 1.5 pounds. I have never fed from mid October to mid March. Could I have I guess I could have... but here is what I think. Your CNBG grow quite fast right up to about 9 inches that last 2 to 3 inches takes a while no matter how you feed them I think. A 2 pound CNBG isn't gonna get that way just off of feed. I believe genetics has some to do with it also! As I can catch a lot of 8 to 9 inch fish but 10 plus are not that easy?

If you feed in winter will you get to that possible 2 pound fish before I do? Well maybe... and maybe I already have some and I just can't hook them??

Bottom line is this. Any advise giving out here is just that. Free advise. If what you consider a "Pro" on this forum tells you something then I would take extra caution in what they say but that does not mean they are or will be right all the time. The term "It All Depends" was made up for a reason. smile Keep in mind a "Pro" on this forum is just telling you what they think is best it does not mean it's written in stone...

Attached Images
11 inch BG.jpg

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Jason007, to be honest, I don't think your results are being questioned as much as the manor in which you presented them. Absolute truths are very rare in fish management, and sometimes results that seem absolute, are more a result of a moment in time where everything hits just right, and may not be repeatable for others. I've had to learn this lesson myself.

Right now, I'm wintering some CNBG in cages, and I can tell you that at my particular brood pond, they feed more readily in ultra cold TX water (35-45 degrees) than those that are uncaged in the same pond. Why, I've got no clue. Is it light penetration, is it the inability to retreat to warmer water, is it the increased competition due to the restricted space, or is it just the fact that these caged CNBG are only a foot or two from the food, and therefore exert less energy to eat? I certainly don't know why yet, but later this spring when these CNBG are pulled, I'll compare the size of the caged vs. noncaged CNBG and check for size differences. If the caged CNBG grew over the winter and showed positive results, then I'll repeat the experiment next winter. So I guess what I'm saying is that if the caged CNBG grew more than the noncaged CNBG, that proves nothing. It's just a step in the journey to find out why, make those results repeatable for me, and then share those results to see if they're repeatable by others.

Good luck with your future plans.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 02/23/15 02:41 PM.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Here is the original thread that spawned this current thread of "The winter, pellet feeding debate! Results are in!".
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394452&page=1

The Lousiana winter is not the typical northern winter, cold water conditions that created the philosophy or thinking of no or little pellet winter feeding noted in the original thread. Some fish such as trout can readily be fed in real cold water. Many of those proposed ideas in the original thread were meant for ponds that develop significant ice cover during winter where water temps range from 39 to 33 or even 32F during aeration periods.

As Lusk in NE Central Texas noted during the recent PB conference VI: “ I feed (fish) till water temps hit 46”. If I had in Ohio the Lousiana winter climate, I would be pressing the envelope to feed my fish all winter just as Jason describes. Members have noted above that ‘winter’ feeding of fish is often dependent at least two main things: 1. water temperature and 2. if the fish are willing to eat. There are some cautions to be aware of as noted in the related threads for feeding pellets to fish during water temperatures below “46F”. Nothing is really absolute with raising fish except they will eventually die.

With advice here "you get what you pay for". One has to accept free and paid advice with some caution and often it should be compared to 2nd and 3rd opinions. This in reality also applies to paid advice from a doctor (MD). Believing blindly what an "expert" tells you can be risky. Sometimes that advice has some degree of bias or lack of full knowledge. who really has full knowledge? Adults should know this once they reach post teen years. Also advice is not always understood exactly as the advice is/was delivered.

Not believing the consensus and then trying something different is often how many new things are learned. Forging new ground is often adventuresome and definitely a learning experience. Will that learning be shared?

N8ly aptly stated in the original thread: “Don’t let anyone here or anywhere hold you back from doing your own experiments. That is how we all collectively will keep pushing the envelope and learning new things.”
“Some advice I have for anyone else reading this thread is, take the advice of the masses into careful consideration before moving forward with your own fish management plan or experiment. Make smart decisions within your own comfort level and spread out your risk according to the type of person you are. Essentially your management style with fish is typically the same as you would manage any of your resources in life. Diversify and be prepared for any and all potential consequences. (ie) If it comes fast, it can leave just as fast. “

Jason - please keep advised as to the progress of your new pond and the dandy, fast start, CNBG you are raising. Good job and very nice fish for their age.
1. Where did you buy these fish - remind other members???.
2. What brand and type of fish food are you using???
3. You might want to mark some of the larger BG with fin clipping to track their growth, recapture rate, and life span.?
We can learn from your experiences with winter feeding of BG in Lousiana. I am also really curious about how the green sunfish or their hybrids perform in your pond. From this thread:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30438&Number=389257#Post389257

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/23/15 11:17 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
And another thread that ran at the same time, trying to interject a little science into the subject:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30744&Number=394982#Post394982

Cody Note: the link above involves some insightful discussions of feeding fish in cold water and many pond owners, even some in the north, do feed their fish during cold water conditions. My favorite phrase that I learned from my major professor in grad school is "It all depends".

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/23/15 11:35 AM.

D
D
I support anyone stepping out and trying something. Congrats on nice fish.

I reckon several are irritated by an aggressive / abrasive tone.

As a research scientist, this is not enough to take a theory to a fact. Doesn't mean you shouldn't continue your way- the isolated datapoints look good. Just don't demand others accept blanket statements. Universal facts are rare with fish.

This place welcomes polite interchange of ideas among open-minded fish lovers.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Here is the original thread that spawned this current thread of "The winter, pellet feeding debate! Results are in!".
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394452&page=1

The Lousiana winter is not the typical northern winter, cold water conditions that created the philosophy or thinking of no or little pellet winter feeding noted in the original thread. Some fish such as trout can readily be fed in real cold water. Many of those proposed ideas in the original thread were meant for ponds that develop significant ice cover during winter where water temps range from 39 to 33 or even 32F during aeration periods.

As Lusk in NE Central Texas noted during the recent PB conference VI: “ I feed (fish) till water temps hit 46”. If I had in Ohio the Lousiana winter climate, I would be pressing the envelope to feed my fish all winter just as Jason describes. Members have noted above that ‘winter’ feeding of fish is often dependent at least two main things: 1. water temperature and 2. if the fish are willing to eat. There are some cautions to be aware of as noted in the related threads for feeding pellets to fish during water temperatures below “46F”. Nothing is really absolute with raising fish except they will eventually die.

With advice here "you get what you pay for". One has to accept free and paid advice with some caution and often it should be compared to 2nd and 3rd opinions. This in reality also applies to paid advice from a doctor (MD). Believing blindly what an "expert" tells you can be risky. Sometimes that advice has some degree of bias or lack of full knowledge. who really has full knowledge? Adults should know this once they reach post teen years. Also advice is not always understood exactly as the advice is/was delivered.

Not believing the consensus and then trying something different is often how many new things are learned. Forging new ground is often adventuresome and definitely a learning experience. Will that learning be shared?

N8ly aptly stated in the original thread: “Don’t let anyone here or anywhere hold you back from doing your own experiments. That is how we all collectively will keep pushing the envelope and learning new things.”
“Some advice I have for anyone else reading this thread is, take the advice of the masses into careful consideration before moving forward with your own fish management plan or experiment. Make smart decisions within your own comfort level and spread out your risk according to the type of person you are. Essentially your management style with fish is typically the same as you would manage any of your resources in life. Diversify and be prepared for any and all potential consequences. (ie) If it comes fast, it can leave just as fast. “

Jason - please keep advised as to the progress of your new pond and the dandy, fast start, CNBG you are raising. Good job and very nice fish for their age.
1. Where did you buy these fish - remind other members???.
2. What brand and type of fish food are you using???
3. You might want to mark some of the larger BG with fin clipping to track their growth, recapture rate, and life span.?
We can learn from your experiences with winter feeding of BG in Lousiana. I am also really curious about how the green sunfish or their hybrids perform in your pond. From this thread:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30438&Number=389257#Post389257

Very nice post. I know, I have a way of pissing people off. But you know , I was nearly run out of here on a rail on that last thread. I just stopped posting to it because of the animosity it was creating. I decided to go forward with what I was doing and let the results of my trial or error speak for themselves. You might even note that I never posted here again until yesterday, from the time of my last post on the other thread.

I've said it before, and I dont mind saying it again. You guys are indeed a bunch of nice guys. Polite and helpful. This is the forum I'll be posting to when I need advice, make no mistake about that. It's the finest pond management site on the internet and that can not in any way be questioned.

Now to answer your questions.
#1 The coppernose bream were putchased from Mr. Chris Brousard at Shepards fisheries just out of Lafayette Louisiana. He has a gorgeous place over there.
The bass were purchased from American Sportfish and the advice I received here influenced that decision......as they are Tiger bass. American Sportfish also threw in 60, or so, of their Coppernose bream.

#2 , I've tried several different types of food and ended up sticking to All Star. They seem to like it better, and it's more affordable at about 21.00 per 40 pound bag. I've gotten good results with it so that's what I'm sticking with.

The photos do the fish no justice at all. They all came from a cell phone with me trying to gently handle the fish and use the other hand to take the photo. They are gorgeous.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
All Star fish food is a stranger here. Can you provide any detail such as protein and fat content with manufacturer and location? Are any of your bass or uninvited guests of GSF(HBG) eating the fish food? You should also see good growth rates of the non CNBG. Also keep us advised to their status in your pond.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/23/15 12:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
All Star fish food is a stranger here. Can you provide any detail such as protein and fat content with manufacturer and location? Are any of your bass or uninvited guests of GSF(HBG) eating the fish food? You should also see good growth rates of the non CNBG. Also keep us advised to their status in your pond.

Funny you asked. I just walked in the house to post this photo.
This bass was caught at 11:37 am central time, feb 23, 2015.
This is one of the tiger bass that came from American Sportfish.

I stocked 55 of these on September 10, 2014.
In that time we have gone from fingerling to this.

Last edited by Jason007; 02/23/15 12:59 PM.
A
A
Beautiful fish, Jason. And your pond looks great, too!

Sprkplug, thanks so much for the link to the article. I was not aware that too much of the wrong kind of fat could be harmful for fish in cold water. Since carbs seem to be the culprit (as is the case with humans, too!), this would argue for a high protein, low carb feed.

Another variable to consider is pond depth. Rapid cooling of the water is dangerous in winter, so shallow ponds would likely be most at risk. Deep water is more stable and likely protective. Or maybe I'm wrong, does anybody know?

Another interesting article about winter feeding bluegill is on the American Sportsfish site. They make the point that cold water feeding increases body weight more efficiently than feeding when the fish are spawning, since so much energy goes into the spawn.

http://www.americansportfish.com/?option...8&Itemid=45

They also argue for sinking pellets, as the unconsumed portion will add to pond nutrients. They are not endorsing summer feeding quantities, mind you, just reassuring that some uneaten feed on the bottom is no big deal in most instances.

Some questions: If feeding happens during a sudden cold snap, are we endangering the fish by bringing them up to the surface? Or does one exposure to chilly surface water for 10 minutes really make much difference? Can the risk be minimized by sinking pellets in, say, 4 to 8 feet of water with greater temperature stability?

Last edited by anthropic; 02/23/15 01:24 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Not sure how much faith I have in uneaten feed on the bottom being no big deal? If you can't watch the fish feed, how do you know if they're eating at all? How do you know how much to throw out? I keep envisioning a scenario wherein a pondowner just throws sinking feed, day after day throughout the winter months. Sounds like a scenario for a pond bottom carpeted by fertilizer to me.

Of course, if that happens, they will probably be happy to recommend ($$$) a treatment option.... wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM