Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Steve Clubb, Boondoggle), 1,154 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lunker
Lunker
Thanks Travis!

Lunker
Lunker
Travis, any tips on collecting scuds? Wetlands with no fish? Standard insect nets?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I found mine in a heavily vegetated backwater of a river over a sand/muck bottom. I used a finer than normal dip net and dug it into the thickest vegetation I could find. I then hand sorted through the vegetation, keeping an eye out for the little buggers. Sometimes they are flopping around a bit making them easy to spot, most of the time though they don't move much making them tough to spot with as small as they are.

Lunker
Lunker
I have only found scuds once here in Nebraska and that was at my dad's old pond which had a lot of milfoil in it. I think I have a better idea on where to look them now but they still might be tough to find, they are small and hard to spot.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Find a natural body of water, lake or river that has some extremely thick vegetation with a lot of organic accumulation. Often you don't even need a net, just rip up a big hunk of aquatic vegetation and start sorting through it.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hi
With a torch light,and a kids scoopnet, after it get dark, as they are nocturnal.
Once you develope a eye for it, and/or fine a spot you go the same place every time.
In day light turn over small rocks and you fine them clinging to it.

I disagree with them being werry hardy, we use the lack of, or decreese in scuds, in known natural habitats,that you normaly would find them, as a early warning system, that some thing? is wrong.

Here some other info links: https://www.fba.org.uk/journals/index.php/FF/article/viewFile/286/188
http://www.pondlife.me.uk/crustaceans/gammarusshrimp.php
http://lhsfoss.org/fossweb/teachers/materials/plantanimal/gammarus.html
http://people.cst.cmich.edu/mcnau1as/zooplankton%20web/Gammarus/Gammarus.htm

PAUL
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
There are large number of scud species out there. Some are very sensitive to water quality, others not so much. The species I have is one of the more tolerant species. If it can live in the Potomac River, it can live most anywhere. That river has seen some bad days...

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Would these work in an outside tank with green water in it?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I don't think the scuds of any species would do real well in primarily green water. They are detritivores and also graze a lot on periphyton especially that which grows on rooted plants- pondweeds.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
K
K
daphnia will do well in green water..
i've used grape, zuchini and mulberry leaves as "feed" for my scud cultures

Last edited by keith_rowan; 08/26/13 12:25 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Ok so a few guys on here know I am working on a perch pond. Pellet trained perch were stocked last fall and are growing very well on feed. We have dropped in the pond a solid 10,000 emerald shiners and 2000 fat head minnows. All seem to be doing quite well and feeding on pellet scraps too.

We have added 400 paper shell crayfish to the pond and since then the pond water quality has gotten so much nicer. It is clear and clean.

My question is, is there any benefit of me adding or trying to establish a fresh water shrimp population? There is a trout farm north of me that maybe able to sell me a bunch of these little guys to start the pond off. Water is hard pushing 8. I have a very good rocky shore and the crayfish just love it but I do not have any plants at all.

Could dropping in a few hundred of these fresh water shrimp be all for not and could I be wasting my time and money on them?

I really feel I should try my best to get as much diversity as I can in my pond.

Thoughts? Few pictures of the crayfish, fathead, and bluntnose shiners.

Cheers Don.

Great older thread with a lot of good links I've yet to get to all of them. DonoBBD, could you give us an update on how the grass shrimp, crayfish, etc. have done in your pond since this 2010 thread? I really like the looks of your pond in the pictures on the first post of this thread. Has it evolved the way you envisioned? Any more recent pictures? I recall you saying in another thread the metal dock cover getting blown off.

Thanks!

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Ok so a few guys on here know I am working on a perch pond. Pellet trained perch were stocked last fall and are growing very well on feed. We have dropped in the pond a solid 10,000 emerald shiners and 2000 fat head minnows. All seem to be doing quite well and feeding on pellet scraps too.

We have added 400 paper shell crayfish to the pond and since then the pond water quality has gotten so much nicer. It is clear and clean.

My question is, is there any benefit of me adding or trying to establish a fresh water shrimp population? There is a trout farm north of me that maybe able to sell me a bunch of these little guys to start the pond off. Water is hard pushing 8. I have a very good rocky shore and the crayfish just love it but I do not have any plants at all.

Could dropping in a few hundred of these fresh water shrimp be all for not and could I be wasting my time and money on them?

I really feel I should try my best to get as much diversity as I can in my pond.

Thoughts? Few pictures of the crayfish, fathead, and bluntnose shiners.

Cheers Don.

Great older thread with a lot of good links I've yet to get to all of them. DonoBBD, could you give us an update on how the grass shrimp, crayfish, etc. have done in your pond since this 2010 thread? I really like the looks of your pond in the pictures on the first post of this thread. Has it evolved the way you envisioned? Any more recent pictures? I recall you saying in another thread the metal dock cover getting blown off.

Thanks!

The crayfish are doing much better than I had expected. So much so that I am quite sure my perch left the feed early June and very few went back to it.

In the spring after we stocked them... so stocked in the summer and the following spring we had young crayfish that were just under 1" under every rock you would turn over on the shore line. What ever we hit on they just took right off in our pond.

Could be the 4" medium recycled concrete and the ph of just under 8 along with being a young pond with lots of bio mass to be gained to reach the limit of the ponds carrying capacity.

Only maintenance I have been doing for the pond is just adding pond dye when the bloom gets less then 18"s.

Didn't get into any grass shrimp. After all the reading with out having the plant life in our pond and seeing how fast the perch left the feed I expect the shrimp or scuds would have just been a snack and never populate. Thought I would stick with the local species and give them the habitat they thrive in. This I think was best for my pond application.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
S
Sounds great. I may give the crayfish a try this spring. We have so much FA they would have plenty to eat. Also have a lot of rock around the pond like you do for habitat.

Last year was so dry here the local seasonal small creeks that always have local crayfish in them were for the most part dry. We had good rains that filled the ponds and creeks since then, so maybe this spring will have better luck collecting them. I kind of gave up last year because of the drought, and also because I wanted to give the PK shrimp a chance to get established.

Thanks for the update.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM