Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Freg, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS), 955 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I am fishing a small pond that has lot of stunted bluegill. If I didn't almost catch a large catfish and an 8" bluegill during my first fishing trip there, I would not even believe that bigger fish exist in this pond. All I caught last few weekends are 1-5" bluegill and some red horse minnows. The fatheads are so abundant and hungry, that when I throw a piece of bread in the water, they attack it. And I mean ATTACK it. The water around the bread is just boiling and several of them always jump on top. The minnows only get raided by the bluegill when they push the bread close to some weeds near the shore. So I have two questions:

1) How do you target the larger bluegill, without attracting the small ones. (larger bait? tough bait? open water, cover?) How does their lifestyle differ from the small ones?

2) How do you catch catfish that has recently been hooked? I tried chicken liver, all kinds of store bought bait. The chicken liver sure doesn't want to stay on the hook. I even tried trot lining this weekend. One hook was missing, the rest were empty. I just think there are so many bluegill in this pond that they clean the hooks before the catfish has a chance to get to it.

This sure is different than salt water. There, if you are catching nuisance fish, you just move to different spot, or you just can't catch anything that day. Here the pond stays the same and you just have to figure out how to get them.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
sound like you need a good, and I mean good! feeder!

It depends on what type of cat it is and how big it is....
Try your trot line again, but this time load it with small 2-4 inch bluegills. Hook the blue gill right below the dorsal fin where he will stay alive...try to set out about 6 to 10 hooks and write us back an tell us what happend!

C
C
ed you might wanna try some artificial bait for the larger bluegills...either some type of small spinner or you can even go with a small crappie jig. as far as catfishing goes id wait...big fish get suspicious quick and there smart...after all thats what got them soo big. i would then presume fishing after a week or more...try this and see if it works:

first off if you can find a shaded area or a place where you wont be seen by the fish as easily...fish there. next catch a couple of bluegills and put them in a bucket...5 should do. you will want to hook up your pole with some 10-12 lb test line and a good strong hook. next hook one of the bluegill between the tail and the dorsal fin. dont cast out the line or anything just lower it in the water a couple feet out from the bank and get ready....dont let any slack get in the line...actually you should try to keep the bluegill at the top of the water where it will splash around. while this technique might seem brutal to some...it is a way to kill some pesky 5in bluegill....after a couple of minutes the fish will probably wear itself out so you will probably want to throw that one out and put on a fresh one

at my pond in w.va. there is about a 6-7lb pound bass in there that will eat nothing but bluegill...so i normally use this technique when trying to just get a glimpse of him...plus the excitement of watching him chase it is unbelievable. i've also got him on a fly line a couple of times by accident fishing for large gills. i know everytime i do it...i see him.....let me know how it works.

Chris

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Ed
A trick in keeping chicken livers or any soft bait on a hook is to cut small pieces of your wifes DISCARDED hose & wrap around the livers & tied off at the top. They can be premade or applied after the liver is put on the hook.
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
R
R
Ed, one way to reduce the numbers of small gills is to use some jumbo leeches if they are available. I would think that the live fish on the trot line should work. If you want to pole fish, you may want to try some fresh cut bait. Frogs will also work.
Robert B

R
R
I meant reducing the number of small bluegills caught. Slip bobbers are an excellent way to present leeches in a pond.
Robert B

I
I
has anybody ever tried to spray a little WD-40 on there catfish bait/chicken liver. sounds crazy, but works.

i don't think studies have done on the effects of the wd40 on the water, but just a little bit shouldn't hurt. so don't freak out if there are any ultra conservative environmentalists out there!! mark

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Mark,
I think you mean ultra liberal environmentalist ;\)
Sorry, I couldn't help that,
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday