Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
EGS, Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!
18,527 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,459
Members18,527
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,602
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
10 members (LeighAnn, Brett B, jludwig, Pat Williamson, FishinRod, RobS, JKK, Jason D, Ponderific2024, Theeck), 1,148 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
Esshup,
My goal was to seek out, size, and purchase the new chains that have rubber tracks over as cross members (rungs) and chains for the 2 long inside and outside lengths. I think there are at least 2 makers of these and they are designed to help not scar up asphalt. Reviews are very positive except when on glare ice rubber cross members do not grip very well. That may be an issue for me if I ever dare put my JD X485 on the ice to clear snow. I didn't know how to size the rubber chains on the slightly larger HDAP tires and so held off on purchasing. Maybe they are the same challenge to install.

Since I already had the metal chains I gave them a whirl and I can see that I might have to ask the next time I buy chains if they need a little bigger size on the larger tires. Thanks for feedback on how it works on your JD345.

I bought the HDAP and rims to have 'winter tires' and 'summer tires' and so the ballasted tires don't run around on the lawn in the summer. Maybe when I take the winter tires off I can more easily fuss with the chains and then keep them stored with the chains secured and very tight so I never have to put them on or take them off again...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have the bar (ag or lug) tires for when I use the rototiller and thought that they would work as good as chains in the snow. Nope. I thought that by throwing chains on them it would improve their function during the winter. Yes, but marginally.

I get better traction with the turf tires and the chains when using the snowthrower.

The chains will even mark up concrete driveways if you spin 'em. Just ask my Dad........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
The chains will even mark up concrete driveways if you spin 'em. Just ask my Dad........

They really do that if they are on your fork lift that weighs 10,000 lbs, and ya don't even have to spin!

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Being a gluten for punishment, I added more crossbars to the Mule chains; doubled the number actually. It is pretty much unstoppable unless it gets high-centered in a hard snow drift.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The biggest problem with chains, as I see it anyway, is the Superman complex....that's where we see a need for improvement, and act on it accordingly.

"The thing was helpless on snow/ice before I added the chains/bigger tires/studs, etc, now it can go anywhere, climb trees and swim rivers, and it's more powerful than a speeding locomotive"

Okay, but it's been my experience that all things mechanical have an inherent, weak link. And once that weak link is identified and bolstered, then the weak link just moves up the mechanical chain so to speak, to the next weakest area. And chances are, this one might not be as benign as a spinning tire. ($$$).

Adding chains is fine, as long as the machine is still operated within its rated capacity. But I have many customers who push the envelope too far with their new-found traction, and then I get the call. Good for my business, bad for their wallet.

When I worked at the dealership, I remember getting the service bulletin from Deere advising that installing chains, or switching to lug tires on the entry level, inexpensive lawn tractors, would void the customers warranty on the spot. Those spinning tires were intended to be the weak link. And the next weakest link turned out to be the axle shafts themselves. Ouch.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Tony, when I had a real job, DFD would open all the station speakers during icy weather, and tell everyone to install chains on all apparatus. Within 2 hours, guys were out of service and calling for a service truck. Brake lines, diamond plate, and axles definitely don't like improperly installed snow chains. Couple that with aggressive driving, and chains can go south very quickly.

AL

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I enjoy modifying most things. If I go too far and have a failure there is a shop full of tools and equipment for repairs. It has always been that way.

I recall welding up hotter camshafts for lawn mower engines when I was a kid; sometimes good results sometimes bad.

I tore down and reassembled my first car engine in the 6th grade, it didn't run (no carb), but I learned a lot.

Still learning and bumping against normal.

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Dwight
I enjoy modifying most things. If I go too far and have a failure there is a shop full of tools and equipment for repairs. It has always been that way.

I recall welding up hotter camshafts for lawn mower engines when I was a kid; sometimes good results sometimes bad.

I tore down and reassembled my first car engine in the 6th grade, it didn't run (no carb), but I learned a lot.

Still learning and bumping against normal.

Bumping is fine. It's repeatedly bashing your head into the thing over and over that leads to problems.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Bumping is fine. It's repeatedly bashing your head into the thing over and over that leads to problems. [/quote]

Truer words may never have been written. I worked with another engineer years ago that just never picked up on that concept. It was "don't try to confuse me with the facts and the data, I am right!" That situation did not end well for him. Bumping is great as long as we learn from it!! smile

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dwight, that reminds me of the time my Brother and I installed a small drone aircraft engine onto a Cushman motor scooter. It took some odd engineering to get every thing hooked up. The thing lasted about 40 ft. before everything but the engine came apart and pieces of metal flew everywhere. Dad locked the tool chest for awhile.

When we got a little bit older, beer was generally involved in our "I wonder what would happen?" projects.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Got er done.

Bremer Pond Weather
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Nice!!

What are the little plates for?

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Pedestal seat mounts

Bremer Pond Weather
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That's what I figured, but with you, ya never quite know.

P
Online Content
P
Looked like .50 cal machine gun deck mounts... LOL

Pat W

Very nice fishing pontoon, Dwight.....that thing would look great in SE Texas!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
P
Online Content
P
Yes it would Charlie

Pat W

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jrschneider, Robocopc
Recent Posts
Forest Pond in the White Mountains