Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, esshup, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 749 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#399763 02/03/15 04:45 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I am building a 2.5-3 acre pond. They begin tomorrow. I am planning on building a dock for the boys to fish off of but also to swim off of. Should I build a floating or stationary dock? Water levels can fluctuate here in MO a few feet throughout the summer.

What would you prefer?

Thanks.

P
P
Bowfisher

Welcome to PBF

My pond is a year old and not full yet. I had a floating pier/dock built. I guess I would have to say that I like the floating dock idea, even though it will lean a little until the water level comes up more. I do like the idea of being close to the water no mater what level does. Mine still has to come up 5' more to be full just weigh both before doing it

Pat W

S
S
Here is a thread on docks where you might find some useful information.

Adding a dock

This is the specific post of that thread with pictures of my dock.
snrub's dock

It is a combination with a fixed dock, then a floating section on the end connected by an 8' ramp. We like it.

Last edited by snrub; 02/03/15 08:10 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
B
Wife and I battled that same question. We ended up putting in a fixed T-dock. Like you we were worried about the fluctuating water levels but ended up with the fixed b/c it is a lot harder to put in after full pool. Lot easier to add on with floating like snrub did.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I slightly prefer a fixed dock (stability), but to be honest I am running into a problem finding a professional dock builder to do it. I've spoken with two dock building companies and they both said the way they do a fixed dock is with a barge. One guy has a 37 foot barge and the other a 28 foot barge. And they don't think they can launch a barge that large into a 4 acre lake with no ramp. So I may have to go with a floating dock (like shown below), which wouldn't be the end of the world.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
R
My vote is for a stationary dock. If fluctuating water levels become an issue, you can easily add a floating extension to the fixed dock.

T
T
I used my 19 yr old grandson to help me build a 12x16 floating dock. I used 55 gal drums for floating the pier. I set it up where I attach a hand control trolling motor to move the pier around the pond when needed. And it works like a working barge or platform when placing or adding structure around the pond. And it can be moved to the center of the pond for a place for the teenagers to swim or sunbath off of. U can't do any of the above with a fixed pier. And it is pretty stable, not perfect but I have little to no skills when trying to be a builder or mechanic. So all in all I'm good. I am thinking about building a floating walkway to extend the pier past the 16' of pier I have now.
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I used my 19 yr old grandson to help me build a 12x16 floating dock. I used 55 gal drums for floating the pier. I set it up where I attach a hand control trolling motor to move the pier around the pond when needed. And it works like a working barge or platform when placing or adding structure around the pond. And it can be moved to the center of the pond for a place for the teenagers to swim or sunbath off of. U can't do any of the above with a fixed pier. And it is pretty stable, not perfect but I have little to no skills when trying to be a builder or mechanic. So all in all I'm good. I am thinking about building a floating walkway to extend the pier past the 16' of pier I have now.
Tracy

I think that's a great idea. Might do it myself!

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
F
F
May sound crazy but I purchased a used 28 ft. pontoon boat with a metal top and no motor to use as my dock. I will build a simple wood walkway from the bank about 16 ft. out to it and attached with a hinge bracket for water flucation. It also will be stabilized on each end to the shore with metal rods attached to posts buried in the ground.Electricity can easily be run out to the boat for house boat living if needed.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
+1 on the combo boat/dock idea!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
OP Offline
B
Great ideas! Thanks. I am leaning toward a permanent structure with an attached floating dock. They are digging as we type, so excited!

Originally Posted By: bowfishersmith
Great ideas! Thanks. I am leaning toward a permanent structure with an attached floating dock. They are digging as we type, so excited!

Bowfishersmith,

Just some food for thought....Considered making that floating section detachable with a mount for a motor? After reading this thread, it sure does sound handy to have a little barge you can move around should you ever need a work platform for spreading herbicide, placing structure, etc.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In a pond with fluctuating water levels (more than a foot or two) I like a floating dock. But, that depends on what you will be using your dock for. If it's just a sitting and swimming dock, a fixed dock will work with a ladder to get out of the water. If your pond doesn't freeze solid, it's difficult to put a fixed dock in "after the fact" without a lot of equipment and expense. If the pond freezes solid with enough ice to walk on, sink the posts and build at least the supporting framework during the winter on top of the ice.

Zep, talk to Brian about his dock.

I used barrels for my floating dock, and have a few that are taking on water, even with siliconing the bungs in place. This summer I'll be swapping out the barrels for purpose built floats.

A floating dock has to be anchored or tethered so it doesn't move side to side with heavy winds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
Zep, talk to Brian about his dock.

Thanks esshup. Al told me a bit about it.
Can't wait to see the finished project.
I called the installer name he provided,
and I think the number was disconnected.
I also e-mailed their home office and they
told me they could not provide any installers
name in north Texas.

B
B
bowfishersmith,
Here is what we did with our fixed dock. We initially started using Brettski's design but found stainless steel connectors to be quite expensive. Ended up extending the concrete piers above the water line and using ZMAX connectors to attach the beams. We used 80lb bags of 5000 psi Quikrete, an electric mixer, and a 5-gallon bucket. Kicked the sides of the tube as we were pouring to even out the mix which worked extremely well.

Used 8" sonotubes with rebar, holes were augered to depth of 4'

Rebar consisted of 3 verticals (1/2") wrapped with mesh to keep it in place

Beams attached to columns, consisted of 2 2"x8" glued and nailed/screwed

The entire job was very labor intensive but we have been quite happy with the results. Top of the dock will set about 15" off normal pool. Still need to add the decking but the barn has taken priority as it is quickly turning into a 5 year project.

Last edited by Ben Adducchio; 02/18/15 07:28 PM. Reason: Updated Links

T
T
I also set the poles before the water level rose. Now that the pond is full and frozen, I used the ice for scaffolding. I really like the idea of an temp. attached floating dock for a platform. I will build it this summer.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Last edited by RAH; 02/04/15 04:39 PM.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
RAH you've always had a cool dock.
It's party central!
I bet the kids love it.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
They are off at college and are at that stage when they are establishing their independent lives. Kind of tough for mom and dad, but we are happy to see their lives developing. It is pretty cold now, but we are anticipating spring! Snow is falling and the mercury is dropping fast... I guess that term dates me:) Life is good

D
D
We built this floating dock. Our water level can change about 3 feet through the year. We have in water weights that hang from a pulley system that takes all the jounce out of the dock.

She is 16X16 with a 16X5 foot gain way.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
2013-06-24 17.40.20.jpg Dock.jpg dock2.jpg dock3.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
We built this floating dock. Our water level can change about 3 feet through the year. We have in water weights that hang from a pulley system that takes all the jounce out of the dock.

Cheers Don.

Don,

My wife saw the pics of your dock and loves it. Her only concern is without a railing, some of our typical guests may take an unplanned swim after a cocktail or two! grin

Bill

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/04/15 07:50 PM.

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This thread has been added to the Common Q&A Archives thread: Pond Docks, Piers, Jetties and Decks

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
D
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Cheers Don.

Don,

My wife saw the pics of your dock and loves it. Her only concern is without a railing, some of our typical guests may take an unplanned swim after a cocktail or two! grin

Bill

Bill we have had 11 full sized people on this dock with out anyone taking an un planed swim but with the kids there is always an impromptus nudge.

If I was to build this same dock again I would have filled these barrels with water 30%. The dock would sit lower and have more mass that would make it more stable.

A seat/railing could be added for sure. I really like the idea of nothing smaller than 16X16.

Cheers Don.

EDIT: forgot to mention that that lovely gazebo did not make it a full year before the wind folder her up like a cheap lawn chair. We really liked it but could not keep it from wind. Now I just came across this picture from this summer. I now have two 10 foot umbrellas that we open up when we want shade and close them up when we are not down at the dock. They can spin 360* so we can shade the dock as the sun moves across the sky.

Attached Images
IMG_2966.jpg
Last edited by DonoBBD; 02/05/15 09:43 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
T
T

Cheers Don.

Don please describe your water weights. My floating pier is pretty stable but would water weights help even more? and haw are the pulley's designed??
Thanks
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My water level doesn't fluctuate much but I put in a floating dock because I could do it myself. Mine is a 4x8 walkway mounted to the shoreline with 6x6 posts then a 12x12 platform. All using floats/hardware purchased from dockbuilders.com

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023