Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
P
P
Na yall got it all wrong-- them there oil sheiks rolled over and needed a few more wives so the price went up

JKB #399501 01/31/15 07:25 PM
A
A
On a related topic, I hope to hire a dirt guy to begin moving dirt for my pond in a week or two. How much difference do lower diesel prices make per cubic yard moved?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

JKB #399502 01/31/15 07:38 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Probably none to you unless yer dirt guy is honest. I believe UPS added a surcharge for fuel and did not remove it when gas prices dropped. Read the other day how many millions the airlines are saving per weak and their charges haven't changed.
Hope I didn't wiz on yer parade.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
JKB #399503 01/31/15 07:45 PM
I'm with Bob. The decrease in oil prices is recent. The reduction in fuel cost is just adding to the bottom line of the fuel users at this point and is not trickling down to the consumers. Maybe if the price stays down, that will change.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Bob-O #399505 01/31/15 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
I think yer ALL out ta get me. I ain't paranoid, I'm realistic.

I don't think yer paranoid Bob. Sometimes I hear those little voices in my head too! grin

[Linked Image]
Bob-O #399516 01/31/15 09:50 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Probably none to you unless yer dirt guy is honest. I believe UPS added a surcharge for fuel and did not remove it when gas prices dropped. Read the other day how many millions the airlines are saving per weak and their charges haven't changed.
Hope I didn't wiz on yer parade.

Since I ship UPS about every week I can tell you they not only didn't they drop their increases in prices after oil shot up in 2008, but they are still tacking on not only a fuel surcharge, but a residential pick up surcharge, and residential delivery surcharge. And they raised their rates in December 4 percent for domestic shipping even though costs have gone down. This is what happens when a corp gets on the stock market and doesn't have much competition. And don't even try and collect on their insurance. It's almost impossible if you packed the box yourself.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Bill D. #399517 01/31/15 09:55 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I'm with Bob. The decrease in oil prices is recent. The reduction in fuel cost is just adding to the bottom line of the fuel users at this point and is not trickling down to the consumers. Maybe if the price stays down, that will change.

Why should it? Most of the airlines in the U.S. are owned by a very small group of carriers now. If you don't have to worry about customers running to a competitior due to lower prices why drop your prices? Can you spell monopoly?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Why should it? Most of the airlines in the U.S. are owned by a very small group of carriers now. If you don't have to worry about customers running to a competitior due to lower prices why drop your prices? Can you spell monopoly?

Get used to it my friend. Big companies are sucking up the little companies everyday and merging with other big companies. The days of competition in the market place could soon be a subject only for history books.

[Linked Image]
Bill D. #399522 01/31/15 10:38 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Get used to it my friend. Big companies are sucking up the little companies everyday and merging with other big companies. The days of competition in the market place could soon be a subject only for history books.

You're preaching to the choir Bill. grin

JKB #399524 01/31/15 10:47 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Actually, everyone is skeptical, so don't think prices will drop on goods and such.

Why would you do that in the freak nature of this?

Had a run of lower priced fuel that buzzed around the country and put consumer bucks in other areas.

I'm not convinced, nor entertained the thought that these low prices would be sustainable for any duration.

My personal opinion is that fuel prices will eventually come back with a vengeance on the consumer.

The US...

Take what you can get and be happy wink

JKB #399562 02/01/15 11:42 AM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
and then the big boys will add on Another fuel surcharge...

Just do it...
JKB #399564 02/01/15 11:57 AM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I don't begrudge UPS, FedEx or airlines leaving charges and prices in place for a little while. They drained billions of reserve capital when prices rose daily...that reserve is how they survived, and a smart business will recoup what they can, when they can for the next bout of hard times! I'm not so sure the savings in fuel means people are just spending that extra dollar in their pocket....the smart person is putting it back into their savings that got depleted, just like the businesses...

Rainman #399573 02/01/15 01:44 PM
P
P
I don't think its the gas price that is the factor, it's the price of diesel that matters. Trucks and trains run on diesel. Down here diesel is 1$ higher than gasoline. So untill diesel drops nothing will come down in price cause transportation costs drive prices

Pat

JKB #400304 02/09/15 09:03 PM
Lowest it got to here was $1.81. Back up to $2.27 today.

[Linked Image]
Rainman #400306 02/09/15 09:27 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I don't begrudge UPS, FedEx or airlines leaving charges and prices in place for a little while. They drained billions of reserve capital when prices rose daily...that reserve is how they survived, and a smart business will recoup what they can, when they can for the next bout of hard times! I'm not so sure the savings in fuel means people are just spending that extra dollar in their pocket....the smart person is putting it back into their savings that got depleted, just like the businesses...

Sorry Rex they're as crooked as a dog's hind leg. But then so are a lot of corps. That's why they have an army of lawyers to defend them and creative investors to find loopholes. And when the stockholders are pressuing a corp to make more and more profts...

Was going over invoices of my UPS shipments. It appears they routinely tack on extra charges as the claim my boxes weigh more than my ceritified scale says they do. Imagine that? On top of that my boxes are manufactured be certain dimensions to ship my frozen fish. I.e. 24 X 10 X10 for my 4 to 5 pound trout. How they come up with 24 X 10 X 11 to charge extra baffles me.

They also bill me weekly which doest't give my check time to clear. I have to be careful so I don't overpay.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/09/15 09:30 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I've not used UPS in ages...way too many damage claims and only one damage claim with FedEx in 6 years of exclusive use. I just can't agree with the blanket feeling a corporation is "crooked". The army of lawyers is to navigate the sea of useless, duplicitous and often conflicting Federal Regulations and parasitic lawyers trying to recover damages with frivolous suits...Are you in business for yourself to lose, or make money? Corps employ tons of people, and make money...no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy their products or services (except the government, now)

Rainman #400317 02/09/15 11:56 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I've not used UPS in ages...way too many damage claims and only one damage claim with FedEx in 6 years of exclusive use. I just can't agree with the blanket feeling a corporation is "crooked". The army of lawyers is to navigate the sea of useless, duplicitous and often conflicting Federal Regulations and parasitic lawyers trying to recover damages with frivolous suits...Are you in business for yourself to lose, or make money? Corps employ tons of people, and make money...no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy their products or services (except the government, now)

Of course no one's forcing me Rex. But I really have only two choices: UPS or Fed Ex. It's called an oligipoly. Use one of us or take a hike.

Fed Ex is even worse than UPS contracting out drivers and squeezing them.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That depends on which branch of FedEx you are talking about. FedEx Home Delivery (purple/green) is (or was) contract drivers, FedEx Express (Purple/Grey) is not (or was not) contract drivers. They worked for the company and didn't own or lease their trucks that they drove.

If they are overcharging you for weight, or for measurement, call them to task on it at that time that they fill out the bill. If you weigh the box on your scale, and they weigh the box on their scale, and both are certified, then somebody's scale is wrong...... I believe that if a box weighs 5 pounds one ounce, then you are charged for 6 pounds, not 5. Think of the bill as a contract between two parties. If you agree to it, you sign it and pay the amount. If it's disputed, the dispute needs to be ironed out before the contract is paid.

Or, just do like a lot of businesses are doing. The buyer pays for the shipping charges, and they get to pick what service they want to pay for. If FedEx is a PITA to ship from, then don't offer that as an option.

i.e. for me here, UPS has better delivery service and better customer service than FedEx Express, FedEx Home Delivery and USPS both run about even in regards to timely delivery and customer service. UPS will put a package inside my enclosed back porch, out of the elements, rain or shine. FedEx Express will put it inside a clear plastic bag and put it out in the weather by the front door if it's raining, no bag if it's sunny out. FedEx Home Delivery will leave the package by the front door, no bag even in rain/snow and USPS will leave the package in the driveway at the base of the 2 step concrete front porch or put it by the front door, no plastic bag, no matter what the weather is.

(The door to the back porch is literally less than 25' away from the front door.)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
JKB #400349 02/10/15 01:33 PM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
When I owned my importing business (from Egypt), I used both, and they were both pretty good. We used UPS every day for shipments within the US, and they were really great - always came at 2 pm, and would wait if we weren't ready.
Some genius at UPS put the default setting at "next day" so if you don't change to "2 or 3 day etc" each time, you got stuck with a rather large bill. I don't fault them at all - that's just business. Whoever came up with that should be given a giant raise - can you image the number of times a day someone hits the "finish" button w/out making the change?
Cha-ching!!!!

Just do it...
JKB #400413 02/10/15 10:22 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I don't know, but for me, FedEx has UPS beat in every category. I can have them pick up at my home, ship next day with a cut-off time of 9:45PM (at the airport, and if I am late, which for me is often, the pilot himself will take my package and scan it at the first stop. My packages leave St Louis at 10:25PM and are on a customer's doorstep by 10AM the next morning....1 minute late, and the on-time guarantee kicks in and my freight is free. I just can't beat a turn around time under 12 hours unless shipping same day to an airport. I can deliver 100# of fish from STL to LAX in about 3.5 hours for $65. Like I said earlier, only one damaged shipment in all my years of exclusive FedEx use. Before that, I let UPS and FedEx compete for my shipping, and UPS service was simply horrid, late deliveries, damaged/crushed boxes with no notations and any claim took weeks to settle. With FedEx, even a torn outer box was notated, and if one second late, it was free.

I use mainly overnight services, but even when using ground service, my FedEx next day service area (same price anywhere in the lower 48 as up to 4-day) is also nearly triple the geographic size of what UPS offers me.

Cecil, I'm truly sorry you think so many companies are crooked...If they were, they'd have no employees, or customers, have their hind legs cut off and quickly be outta business. FedEx and UPS are the BIG 2, but far from the only options if you chose to dig. The reason they are so big is they did the legwork for door to door delivery, and for what I consider, a VERY fair price to deliver nearly anything I hand them, anywhere, door to door.

Last edited by Rainman; 02/10/15 10:58 PM.

JKB #400414 02/10/15 10:30 PM
Call me sentimental, but I like getting my mail everyday. I try to ship everything I can USPS to support those folks. Hard working bunch of people.

I really like those boxes they have that if it fits it ships at one price, regardless of weight (max 70 lbs).

Edit: I also like they will come to my place to pick up the package and offer the same timeframe delivery options as the private companies.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/10/15 11:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
JKB #400416 02/10/15 10:52 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Scott is spot on about the shipping contract also (and weights) 5.01 pounds is charged at a higher weight. A mis-cut or improperly taped box stamped 20x10x10 that will actually measure .001 over is charged at the next increment. These companies have governmental agencies up the yin-yang verifying their scales and measuring equipment...I can assure you, NO busy clerk is paid to screw over a customer by adding a bit here and there....they don't have the time nor concern, nor motive to do that. I have had my packages audited and occasionally got upcharged, but since I gave myself a 3 ounce error margin on average weight, I never disputed putting in too much water or dry ice. Also, occasionally my boxes would bulge, exceeding the size listed and when passing through their lasers, it would get upcharged.

Size and weight is CRITICAL for these shipping companies, they demand accuracy for loading reasons and aircraft balancing, NOT to screw the little guy!

Rainman #400419 02/11/15 12:03 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, I will need to ship some fish later on this Spring, we gotta talk at the conference. You have any experience shipping internationally?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #400472 02/11/15 08:24 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I leave the international customs/paperwork headaches to the customer and ship to Miami. There are some forwarders there that navigate the international regs and quarantines...It has been a while and I can't recall any names.

Rainman #400473 02/11/15 08:53 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Unfortunately, If you have to ship to another country from your origin in the US, you have to do the paperwork to kinda help it get to it's destination. England is the worst, and it don't matter who you use.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images