Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (FishinRod, Sunil), 1,077 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
Lunker
31 mph winds with gusts to 39 mph now.

Last edited by Shorty; 02/01/15 11:31 AM.

Still snowing heavyily. 8 to 10 on the ground. Weather radio just went off. Our Winter Storm Warning is now upgraded to Blizzard Warning till midnight. Winds at 45.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
About 6 inches now on the ground and drifting. Snowing harder also.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Originally Posted By: Shorty
I had to get on the roof last night and brush the snow off the satellite dish in order to get it to work.

Shorty, if you can still find one of these water cannons (or similar), one shot with some warm water and you can easily clean off the satellite dish from the ground.

They work GREAT!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Letting up here from time to time now. Probably not going to get the amount predicted.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
"About 6 inches now on the ground and drifting".
Dang Cecil, sounds like me and a bottle of Ripple in my high school days.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Lunker
Lunker
I'm guessing 8-9" here, lots of big drifts with the wind, digging out is going to be fun in the morning. It is supposed to drop down to -14° tonight, at least the wind is supposed to calm down later but it is still blowing at 20 mph now.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I decided no UPS pick up tomorrow. I can clear my 300 plus foot driveway of 3 foot drifts with the snow blower but I'm concerned the driver will have serious issues tomorrow on the back roads. I can't have frozen trophy fish stranded somewhere.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/02/15 03:45 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
We have 16" on the ground here so far, still coming down hard. Clearing that with the 72" blower should make the Kubota snort a bit in the morning. Went for a short ride at 5:00PM, plows hadn't been out all day, drifting was getting bad. Thanks.

Bryan

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The lake enhancing the snow a little Bryan?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yes I think so. The snow band here today has been pretty steady. At the rate it's coming down I would bet we get another 5" by morning. Thanks.

Bryan

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
9" in LNK - first few inches was dense and wet, tough digging out today, one scoop and had to dump it - no pushing. Very heavy, but roads are already fine - no big deal. School called for tomorrow, I think because of the windchills tomorrow AM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
Yes I think so. The snow band here today has been pretty steady. At the rate it's coming down I would bet we get another 5" by morning. Thanks.

Bryan

Snow has started back up here. Supposed to be a "wrap around effect" of the low pressure system.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
No snow for us, but it rained most of the day with a little sleet mixed in this morning. 60% chance of snow after midnight, with little to no accumulation expected. All ponds wide open. Quite a change from the forecast they were giving Friday afternoon.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Pretty much over here. Got about 8" from what I could find out. I was out a little while ago, pretty much just drifting. 31 was the only road plowed.

My sister calls. Her car died just down the road from her house. Her and the kids walk home. She calls a wrecker to get it towed home. Within about a half hour from when she left the car, the wrecker shows up and they are where the car WAS. Wrecker dude says it's already been towed. Who would have done that? Police, so give them a call. She makes the call. They tell her that she has to come in during business hours, pay the $50.00 fee, then they will tell her where her car is. She pays the wrecker dude.

I told her that it's probably the same wrecker dude you called, but now you're gonna pay him twice, plus storage, plus having it towed home or to a shop, after you pay the police their cut of the scheme.

That township she lives in is really strange. I do know that if the speed limit is 35 and you're going 36, you will get a speeding ticket. They have a few speed traps as well. One road is 55, then it drops down to 30 without warning and you can't see the sign until you're 50' from it. I didn't get caught in that one, but there is another that goes 45 to 25, and you can't see that sign until you are passing it.

Interesting on the news this evening. They'll have a story about this tomorrow, but a criminal law expert says that every person in Michigan commits a criminal offense at least once per week, and they don't even know it. Should be interesting.

Originally Posted By: JKB

Interesting on the news this evening. They'll have a story about this tomorrow, but a criminal law expert says that every person in Michigan commits a criminal offense at least once per week, and they don't even know it. Should be interesting.

I'm betting it will be one of those weird laws like "You can't go out in public without combing yer hair."

It's starting out be a good day! Got up at 4:30 to dig out the 12 inches and big drifts from 180 foot driveway and front walks so kids could get to school. Haven't bought a gardern tractor yet so it's a walk behind blower for the task. Grabbed a cup of Joe and the phone rings. School is cancelled. Figure I'm up so might as well dig out, Look out the window and my buddy had come by during the night and plowed everything! Think I'll have another cup of Joe! smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/02/15 06:12 AM.

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm guessing 16-18" for the storm here, the picture is in a sheltered area. I measure in the same place and it usually is pretty close to local reports. This is only the second time I've run cleared the drive this year as the kids have usually been handling it. My tracks from when I went for a ride yesterday at 5:00 were barely visible this morning.

Bryan

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7587&filename=image.jpg

Attached Images
image.jpg
W
W
Sitting at 18-20" in the far south suburbs of Chicago this morning.It was not a fun ride into work this morning in NW Indiana! Never ceases to amaze me the amount of idiots who think the conditions don't apply to them or their vehicle. Unfortunately, more times than not they end up killing someone else because of their stupidity. Watched a lady blow by me on the left lane (bar far the worst lane condition wise) on I-80 in some small SUV. She did at least (2) 360's before coming to a hault in the middle of the I-80 a 1/4 mile after she passed me. Thankfully everyone else was driving responsibly and was able to slow down to allow her to clean out her drawers and proceed on her way without hurting anyone or herself. Needless to say she wasn't driving very fast when she started back up!

Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
I'm guessing 16-18" for the storm here, the picture is in a sheltered area. I measure in the same place and it usually is pretty close to local reports. This is only the second time I've run cleared the drive this year as the kids have usually been handling it. My tracks from when I went for a ride yesterday at 5:00 were barely visible this morning.

Bryan

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7587&filename=image.jpg

Do I dare ask about the installation of that basketball goal? grin

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
We picked it up for $10 off Craigslist, I think they were trying to move it and it was partially frozen to the ground so they left it. Thanks.

Bryan

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I did my 300 plus foot driveway and the neighbor's this morning with my walk behind 4.0 h.p. Toro. Wouldn't want to do that every week!

Lunker
Lunker
My wife ran our tractor and eight foot blade up and down our 400 yard driveway several times this morning to get it cleared.

L
L
We wound up with about 18" total, but not much wind. Last night there was only a few inches and I didn't expect to have to get up in the middle of the night to plow. I should have when I realized I couldn't see any hint of the driveway in the morning!

I use a little 400cc Kodiak 4-wheeler and 48" Rhino plow, and it has worked great for the past 11 years. A few buck of maintenance and new batteries every so often and that is it. I use a winch to raise and lower the plow. It is fun unless there are big drifts that are hard. That spins the vehicle around, so you have to slam the drift several times to bust through!

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Still digging out around here. Official total 19.6" of snow at Plymouth, 12 miles to the East. Lost internet for a day, and it's been off an on before and after that. Mom & Dad's snowthrower broke, so I was over there to clean their place. Their driveway is over 200' long and 14' wide, and that doesn't include the area between the house and pole barn. It took me over 6 hrs to clear my place, and I still have to get the lake house cleared today, then go clear an absentee landowners place that will take all day, if not more.

Snowplow ate both my neighbors and my mailbox again, so the back-up is out (mailbox screwed to the top of a step ladder). Replacing $60 mailboxes once a year and band-aiding them together half way thru the winter is getting old. The plow usually buries the lake house pretty well, so that will be fun.......

Mike, I used to do a lot of sledding in the 80's, but due to the lack of snow in recent years I never kept up with it. Artick Cat El Tigre, I had over 200 studs in the track, carbide wear bars on the skiis, different carbs and exhaust. Pyrometers for each cylinder because I got tired of melting pistons. On the lake it could carry the skiis for a LONG ways even with minimal snow on the ice.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
19" of snow...wow! Not a single flake on the ground down here!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump