Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,104
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure), 725 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dad feeds coarse ground sunflower hearts. He has a tray under the tube feeders. No messy hulls to clean up. You'd be suprised the number of species that have eaten there, even some that weren't supposed to be attracted to the sunflowers.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
JKB can't wait for your feedback. Thanks in advance for your help.

Probably won't like my feedback, but I did spend a lot of time on this today.

Making it safe is my number 1 criteria, and, yes you can wink

Cost will be prohibitive on your part, because we need more than a light socket and switch that you decide to flip at any given time.

Electricity is an Equal Opportunity Killer, it just don't care shocked wink

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: JKB

Cost will be prohibitive on your part, because we need more than a light socket and switch that you decide to flip at any given time.

Now there is the difference between an engineer, and a hack like myself. The engineer looks for ways to foolproof his design, (as much as can be, anyway) trying his/her best to remove the human element, with their unfortunate tendency for making mistakes, and replacing them with technology.

The hack, (me), says "you need to be smarter than a fencepost to use this thing, capiche?" laugh

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: JKB

Now there is the difference between an engineer, and a hack like myself. The engineer looks for ways to foolproof his design, (as much as can be, anyway) trying his/her best to remove the human element, with their unfortunate tendency for making mistakes, and replacing them with technology.

The hack, (me), says "you need to be smarter than a fencepost to use this thing, capiche?" laugh

I just chalk it up to Natural Selection. wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Starlings are hammering my suet cakes...

We borrowed the simple design depicted near the bottom of this page; the Starling Stumper . A regular old suet cage with a couple of feet of cheap, lightweight chain (open/close the chain links with pliers). When you put in the suet cake, leave the plastic tray on it like a hat. It won't stop the all of them, but deters most. The remaining peckers, tit mice, nuthatches, etc are very comfortable inverted.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
A small solar panel, U1 Lawn mower battery, start capacitor, and a little wiring you could zap a finger off a full grown coon grabbing at your feed if needed for under $50. For another $10, you could add a remote arming/disarming system if you care to be more selective on what goes poof...Definitely lethal, and definitely indiscriminant in what gets fried, so you'd want a way to control what gets hit.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/30/15 09:44 PM.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y

.....so we can infer that you think you're smarter than a hot dog, too?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
We talking all beef hot dogs, or the cut-rate, mystery meat franks?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Starlings are hammering my suet cakes...

We borrowed the simple design depicted near the bottom of this page; the Starling Stumper . A regular old suet cage with a couple of feet of cheap, lightweight chain (open/close the chain links with pliers). When you put in the suet cake, leave the plastic tray on it like a hat. It won't stop the all of them, but deters most. The remaining peckers, tit mice, nuthatches, etc are very comfortable inverted.

Thanks Ski...I have a horizontal feeder, and a dual side vertical. The vertical is getting hammered, but it's preferred by all birds. Might just have to sit it a while until the Starlings move on.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
J
teehjaeh57 it was my intention to state another way of looking at wildlife as I experience it and not a degradation of your views. Science is my first love along with the evolution of the universe and earth which has shaped my thoughts over a life time.

Online Content
Personally, I don't think the word invasive is as descriptive as the word nuisance. Here, Eurasian Dove are classified as invasives, but they don't create a problem for me, so I leave them alone. Gophers on the other hand, are a big problem in this particular area. I've tried every method known to man to remove them, but all that works is strychnine based grain. Am I happy about that? Nope, but I'm less happy about the damage they do, and the annual expensive of treating and dragging pastures to remove them and their damage.

TJ is a long term steward to his property and if House Sparrows, who are classified as invasives, and in his case a nuisance, cause a deterrence to his enjoyment, and or goals, I say go for it. Remove them. That, at least so far, is every property owner's right.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've been following this and believe TJ has about as much chance of excluding sparrows as he does flies.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup

I've tried those and they give me heartburn, plus taste icky, WT?

Only ever get real Veinnas, from Franks in GH. Just picked up a couple packs. These are really good!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
teehjaeh57 it was my intention to state another way of looking at wildlife as I experience it and not a degradation of your views. Science is my first love along with the evolution of the universe and earth which has shaped my thoughts over a life time.

Thanks John, and for the record, I appreciated your thoughtful comments on your original post and didn't feel your comments were derisive. I may one day find myself in your position - for now, however, I'm merely trying to achieve some balance and return to a hobby that sustains me during the long dreary winter months in NE.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I've been following this and believe TJ has about as much chance of excluding sparrows as he does flies.

Management efforts to date, over the past several years, have been pretty successful. After one thins the herd, things are quiet for 3-4 months until another flock moves in. It's not about a permanent solution - it's about temporary relief so I can watch/photograph my native birds before I need to start trapping again. Now that squirrels have rendered my traps ineffective due to bait stealing, I'm looking for a new option.

FWIW IMHO If nothing else, this thread has served to remind me that people have their own opinions on just about everything and that they have a rite to have that opinion. It is when we forget to respect the rite of others to have their own opinions that things go wrong.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/02/15 07:29 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I think a computer controlled DEW is the only real solution.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
A small solar panel, U1 Lawn mower battery, start capacitor, and a little wiring you could zap a finger off a full grown coon grabbing at your feed if needed for under $50. For another $10, you could add a remote arming/disarming system if you care to be more selective on what goes poof...Definitely lethal, and definitely indiscriminant in what gets fried, so you'd want a way to control what gets hit.

Rex, let's talk soon. I like the idea of a battery...sounds a lot simpler than the death ray on which JKB is working.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do ya think the native Americans considered Columbus or De Soto as an invasive species?

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Rex, let's talk soon. I like the idea of a battery...sounds a lot simpler than the death ray on which JKB is working.

(Not a death ray, that was just a video I found while searching for an existing product to satisfy your wishes)

My first thought was to discharge a capacitor into your feathery pests, but that seemed a tad messy from a control point. Then bounced around the path to ground method, still not to my liking. Next version was completing an open circuit between 2 phases, electric chair style, turn them into a little motor. No ground, no neutral, just 240V. I'm liking that a whole lot better.

Then, I'm calculating potential kill based on various perch designs. During the interim, I'm looking at frequency (Hz). While 60Hz is more than adequate, the lower you go, the more effective. What's the easiest way to lower frequency?, obviously, a VFD. Well, this has 3 phase output, all the better. Now I have 5 potentials rather than 1 with 2 potentials being really imbalanced (I should do a KFC patent search for their extra crispy)

Needless to say, a light switch won't quite do the trick for a control here. Enter a small PLC, you can do amazing things with these.

The theory here is to fire a "One Shot" charge of sufficient duration while the pest is between 2 phases. Have to add some redundancy on the output so a pair of force guided relays fired from isolated daisy chained outputs from the PLC. 2 outputs per relay, that should be sufficient.

Inquiring minds want to know, so we put current transducers on each leg (output wire) to measure the current consumed with the shot. Another task for the CT's is if after firing the shot and I'm still seeing current flow, I can just blow the circuit breakers. (that sounded more manly than saying I'll just trip the STO)

Well, if you are measuring something, ya might as well data log it. Just goes hand in hand. Nice thing, is a lot of this stuff has web servers. You would want to get the right one tho.

Let's say, TJ has a decent wireless network at his place. He's out mulling about his property doing chores, or whatever. He sees one of these pests where he want's them, by design. Damn button to fire this is in the house tho, and it's a long run. Could be some really good exorcize, but by the time you get there, the pest has moved on. You're a tad out of breath and disappointed at the same time. May as well sit down for a minute and catch your breath, re-plan strategy.

Enter, the smart phone. It's on your wireless network, right? Open a browser, preferably Safari or Chrome. Enter the IP address of the web server and bookmark the remote view page, by design. A button will show up, along with other stuff, if you wish. Touch the button wink

People always freak out, in their own way, when I put the control of machinery on their cell phone. I never leave it there and always disable the feature after the dog and pony show. A couple weeks ago I put the control of a robotic welding cell that I just built on this dudes phone. Gave him some instructions and within a minute or so, he was running it from his phone. He said, no way!, this is freaky! Yep, and it's getting disabled. Just wanted to show you this.

Although, having a pest between 2 phases, by design, and firing a shot, would be more fun than TJ can handle. I'm just wondering what the possibilities of picking up a signal thru the conductors are. Determine pest location and which conductors it's presently in contact with. Getting to "AUTO MODE" could be a challenge.

Ya see, I'm kinda thinking in the direction of rodents here as well. Everyone want's to build a better mouse trap. What better way than to Zap them?

OK, hope no one get's a Darwin moment from this.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Well shoot.

And to think I was just going to equip my device with a DNA sampler that only activated when the target species landed on the perch.

Back to the drawing board.

I was thinking optical analyzer and up the voltage. Could get them coming in while still in flight.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Well shoot.

And to think I was just going to equip my device with a DNA sampler that only activated when the target species landed on the perch.

Back to the drawing board.

No Spark, this is real.

J
J
Sparrow & Starling bird trap. 20 years ago when I had my Martin house and was trying to get rid of sparrows I came across a large bird trap with no moving parts that was made of screen with or hardware cloth. I tried to find this on the internet but couldn’t. The pictures showed hundreds of dead birds in it, and may have been 10 to 20 feet wide. When you catch a sparrow they are dead within 24 hours, so how they cleaned this trap I don’t know.

Anyway I am guessing it is based on this principle. When a bird tries to escape it flies upward. So think of a garage with the door up. The door forms a shelf about 18 inches from the ceiling. When a bird flies into my garage they hardly ever fly out the door opening but fly up higher and light on the door self. I usually have to get my fish landing net and chase them around the garage catching them to get them out. Using this same principle you might drive 4 fence posts in a rectangle, rap around three sides with cloth screening leaving the 4 side open. Then make a shelf of screen maybe half way down the opening and running back maybe a 4th of the way to the back. Then put a cloth ceiling to enclose it. Put seeds on the gound. The drawing won't display right. Take away the dots in you mind and you see the trap. Just an idea.

I---------------I
I........BIRDS.I
I.........------I
I
I---------------I

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:15 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails