Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,124
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Angler8689, anthropic, jbird5986, jpsdad, Sunil, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 875 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hi,
I’m looking for a good, used YSI 550A DO meter with 12’chord and probe. What is the price range for this meter-used?
Thanks a lot.
David

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No idea but they come up on Ebay from time to time.

What do you need it for?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey Cecil, what ever happened to Hi, welcome to the forum? Also asking what he's gonna use it for warrants an answer like I'm gonna check the water temp.
Hey duce and a 1/4, welcome to the forum. If you have not been lurkin, you probably need ta know that things have to described in detail for Cecil. Sorry no one logical has responded.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I was going to respond earlier, but got side tracked.

Welcome to the forum, David.

My personal experience with meters, is if you can afford the cash, buy them new with warranty and all.

Buying a used meter with sensors could be worse than buying a used car. Sensors have a life, and are a big chunk of the purchase price, so I would go new and as the first owner.

D
OP Offline
D

Thanks for all your responses. I figured this forum would be a great place to ask questions, get answers and opinions from experts that use this equipment daily, know where to find used and what prices are good and not so good.

Thanks for the heads-up on Cecil, I'll keep and eye on him.

Actually, I need to test DO in beer mash as it ferments. Yeast thrive in oxygen enriched environments and I use supplemental oxygen to accomplish this. I’ll also transport baitfish, game fish and pond fish occasionally.

I have found 1 unit in Houston that was purchased new last July with 2 membrane kits (5 each with electrolyte solution) , used for C&R fishing tournament - $400 .... your thoughts?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Hey Cecil, what ever happened to Hi, welcome to the forum? Also asking what he's gonna use it for warrants an answer like I'm gonna check the water temp.
Hey duce and a 1/4, welcome to the forum. If you have not been lurkin, you probably need ta know that things have to described in detail for Cecil. Sorry no one logical has responded.

You're right Bob. That did come off as terse. My apologies duce and a 1/4. I didn't mean it that way.

What I was getting at is we get pond folks that think they need an expensive D.O. meter when in reality they don't. D.O. is rarely an issue in southern ponds, and if it is, as in an algae bloom crash, if you know what you're looking for, you can tell without a D.O. meter. And if you are a knowledgeable recreational pond owner you shouldn't find yourself in that situation in the first place.

I can see a fish farmer that is pushing carrying capacity to the limit, with special aerators on stand by, needing a D.O.meter, but not your typical recreational pond owner.

Just trying to save someone some money they could use elsewhere on the pond like a diffuser system to prevent stratification that causes an anoxic layer. When this anoxic layer flip flops an expensive D.O. meter won't help you.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/31/15 05:32 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: David 225

Thanks for all your responses. I figured this forum would be a great place to ask questions, get answers and opinions from experts that use this equipment daily, know where to find used and what prices are good and not so good.

Thanks for the heads-up on Cecil, I'll keep and eye on him.

Actually, I need to test DO in beer mash as it ferments. Yeast thrive in oxygen enriched environments and I use supplemental oxygen to accomplish this. I’ll also transport baitfish, game fish and pond fish occasionally.

I have found 1 unit in Houston that was purchased new last July with 2 membrane kits (5 each with electrolyte solution) , used for C&R fishing tournament - $400 .... your thoughts?

Well why didn't you say so! shocked grin

Another possibility is to see if YSI ever has any reconditioned ones available.

$400.00 is half what I paid for mine brand new about 10 years ago.

There are some new meters in the $200.00 range like this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/YSI-DO200A-Dissolv...si+oxygen+meter

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/31/15 06:02 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
See, ya start talkin them 8 syllable words and Cecil understands.

D
OP Offline
D
I know you didn’t mean it that way and I took no offense at all Cecil. I figure this is just Cecil being Cecil. I have no doubt of your knowledge, experience and expertise and appreciate your sharing in-site and advice.

I hear Bob summing it up nicely, when I talking with Cecil - talk scientifically, talk technical, be specific and to the point… like talking to the professor in Graduate School. I got it, I like that.

My application is high density live fish transport and high density yeast culture in the steady state using supplemental oxygen administration year-round for both.

Attempting to insure maximum safe oxygenation with mechanical aeration is not a consideration, but I need to know the DO’s. Thanks a lot for the Amazon url Cecil.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You're too kind David. Yeah I can come off as a know it all. I can assure you though I am quite aware there is a lot I don't know!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang it, duce and a 1/4 is another big brain !!
Cecil, you should know me enough ta know I'm just yankin yer chain. I find it humorous that you crack on Bill C and have to explain that yer just jokin and then I have to do the same for you. Also since there is a lot you don't know, if ya have any ?s just call me.

D
OP Offline
D
Bob, without additional research, of the top of your head; is Bug’s Bunny a rabbit or a hare? Cecil probably already knows the answer.

Just Trivia: Years ago, don’t know your age, but long ago when I was a kid, before TV when my family sat around listening to radio stories in the evening after supper… did you know that Amos ‘n’ Andy was a Minstrel show written and voiced in by 2 white guys? That was Amos Jones and Andy Hog Brown from Harlem, NY... in case you're ever on a TV game show and the correct answer is worth $50K.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I have a good used YSI DO200 that needs a new cable/probe. Got a new setup and kept the old meter as a spare. After 5 years of taking weekly DO readings I decided to take a break; so don't need a spare.

PM me if interested.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather

I understand the whole conversation and both levels of explanation, but what bothers me is the fact that you are going to USE the SAME DO PROBE in POO water from your fish that you are going to put in YOUR BEER?????

NOT ME, I would need TWO probes.

I think your priorities might not be in order. SPEND the MONEY and GET TWO probes....OR I'll have to consider ratting you out to our fellow Texans about your POO Beer.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Duce, I'd have ta ask Cecil. I do know how many days of the week start with a T, do you?

D
OP Offline
D
Highflyer has a good point regarding contamination using only 1 probe, like an old fashion glass oral-rectal thermometer used rectally and then orally without disinfecting it between applications. Thanks for pointing this out. Sure don’t want to make my yeast sick.

A new probe with 1 membrane cap and a 3 meter cable for a YSI 200 DO meter is $260 at Wally’s. If I use 1 probe for both jobs it’s best to keep the poo-probe out of the clean mash as you pointed out. I sure don’t want to contaminate whole the batch of mash and so I’ll just get a small sample of mash out of the barrel and test the sample. Pitch the sample out after testing and the whole batch stays clean.

Well Bob, let me see… I figure there’s 4 day a week that start with T - Today, Tomorrow, Tuesday and Thursday.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
There are relatively easy ways to safely and effectively cleanse or disinfect an oxygen probe. Check with the manufacturer when in doubt.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Is the beer something you are selling to consumers, or just for personal use?

Last edited by JKB; 02/04/15 06:17 AM. Reason: beer
D
OP Offline
D
JKB,
The meter is for personal use, not for resale until I'm finished with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday