Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
We simply don't allow those "types" on our grounds. Josh has a perfectly suitable pond for organisms of that kind.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
F
Good call

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
OP Offline
TJ - nuked it last night, but I'm afraid my calculations were off as no floaters as of yet.

Assumptions - to raise the water to lethal levels (12 or better PH) I need:

220 lbs of lime for 26,415 gallons of water

(based on 100kg/100 cubic meters at 1 meter depth)

There were 2 pools left, the small one was 15 feet wide, 30 feet long and an average depth of 2 feet. Calculating the volume of an ellipse takes me to 471 cubic feet. 7.5 gallons per cubic foot = 3532.5 gallons of water. Assuming standard alkalinity (I did not check) I should need 30 lbs or so. I added 100 lbs.

The 2nd pool was approximately double the size of the 1st. Simple math shows I need 60 lbs. I added 200.

I immediately had small fish piping and/or jumping out of the water. That told me I was on the right track. But no floaters this morning. I'm making the assumption that the cold water is inhibiting decay and thus they're all on the bottom.

Anyone want to poke holes in my math? My intention is to buy test strips today and check the PH - it'll be 24 hours after application. What should I expect to see, I'm assuming around 10 or better still? It hasn't rained so volume is the same as when applied.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
We simply don't allow those "types" on our grounds. Josh has a perfectly suitable pond for organisms of that kind.

The tadpoles and turtles are flourishing! In my attempts to diversify my fishery, I have been regularly seining the old creek on the property and catching a ton of I-don't-know-whats. Think I got a good start on things. I didn't want to be selfish, though, so in my attempts to improve that unsightly clear water you have at your place, and hopefully knock back some of those nuisance walleye and smallies, I've been introducing those same I-don't-know-whats in your ponds as well. You are welcome, sir.

OP Offline
Well something certainly went wrong...partial kill in both puddles but not complete in either one. I set traps in both overnight and caught fish in both.

So back to Menards I go, and I'm going to double apply. At this rate I'll have more $$ in Lime than I do in fuel to run the pump to drain the pond in the first place.

I'm guessing my volume calc was off, although I can't figure out how. I'm also trying to kill GSF fry, which are notoriously hardy.

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
OP Offline
Update - had the excavator come in and remove what much he could reach, as well as dig me some deep holes just for fun.

He didn't feel comfortable going down any further and honestly given the depth of the pond I wasn't too worried about it.

I'm going to set some more structure and start the siphon this weekend to refill.

Dale

T
T
I just joined and I'm reading through posts. I would love to see an update here. I am also planning a smallie pond in the northern part of the country and could use all the info I can get. Hopefully you will let us know more about the food chain you have planned?

S
S
Somehow I missed this thread earlier.

Did you get everything killed out ok dlowrance?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: therapist
I just joined and I'm reading through posts. I would love to see an update here. I am also planning a smallie pond in the northern part of the country and could use all the info I can get. Hopefully you will let us know more about the food chain you have planned?

Things are going mostly as planned....the pond is about half refilled after the clean-out project. I could start the pump up and finish refilling but at this point I'm not terribly worried about it.

I'm hoping to get the forage fish in it within the next week or two. The SMB won't come in until the fall.

Dale

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: snrub
Somehow I missed this thread earlier.

Did you get everything killed out ok dlowrance?

Snrub - not exactly. After using 2 different doses, one being twice the calculated amount and the next being 4 times the calculated amount, I ended up killing everything....with one exception.

Anyone want to guess what survived that amount of lime?

1-2 inch GSF. Them little critters are TOUGH.

The larger ones died along with apparently everything else, only the small ones remained. I seriously considered treating it yet again but decided if the little SOB's were that tough I'd let them stay.

The main goal of the restart was to remove the glut of top predators - CC's and a few LMB's - which was a success.

Dale

OP Offline
Some progress pics....coincidentally had to replace some tires and wheels off of one of the tractors (calcium chloride is REALLY hard on steel) and decided to try an experiment.

In addition to some standard U shaped SMB beds with larger rocks making the 'shelter' area and gravel in the bed, I decided to try making some raised beds with the tires and wheels...

Not sure of their effectiveness but I can say that if they work the odds of them getting silted over is lessened greatly.

Dale

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Tires and rims....ouch!! ($$$$)

Placement looks good, though!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Tires and rims....ouch!! ($$$$)

Placement looks good, though!

You got that right Sparky...first experience with buying brand new tires and wheels for the rears on one of the tractors...it was downright painful.

I varied the depth some on all 4 just to see if it mattered...shallowest will be at 3-4 feet at the actual bedding area, deepest will be 6 feet or so. From reading here that seems to cover the optimum range of bedding depths for SMB.

Dale

C
C
Ouch is right. I'm glad someone told me about rimgard, (beet juice made in Michigan) hopefully my rims on my John Deere won't corrode as fast.

OP Offline
canyon - that's what I had the tires filled with this time...the stuff is a little pricey compared to Calcium Chloride but it's worth it in the long run assuming you plan to keep the tractor for a good while.

Dale

T
T
I wouldn't let the green sunfish survive.

Honestly, I hate them so much that I would consider the most drastic measures possible to get rid of them.

If you get through with all of this work renovating and they ruin your fishing, you are not going to be happy in the least.

Consider small tactical nuclear weapons LOL.

Ronald

OP Offline
No worries there Ronald....I like the little guys. I know I'm in the minority on this board but I find them scrappy and fun to catch.

Dale

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Hey now....without GSF we wouldn't have HBG! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rotenone works well on GSF. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
canyon - that's what I had the tires filled with this time...the stuff is a little pricey compared to Calcium Chloride but it's worth it in the long run assuming you plan to keep the tractor for a good while.

Who deals rimguard in the area? I am going to have to put rims and tires on my tractor in the next year or so...

Also if you ever need hydrated lime again Home Depot in Alton stocks it for around $7 a bag. I don't remember which part of macoupin county you were in to know if that's closer than Menards in Springfield though.

My pond renovation thread here
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: BLUE72CAMARO

Who deals rimguard in the area? I am going to have to put rims and tires on my tractor in the next year or so...

Also if you ever need hydrated lime again Home Depot in Alton stocks it for around $7 a bag. I don't remember which part of macoupin county you were in to know if that's closer than Menards in Springfield though.

PJ's in Carlinville does - that's where I get most of my tire work done.

I'm definitely closer to Alton than Springfield, but I work in Springfield so it's more convenient...sort of...

Dale

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What about the weighted "foam"? When I looked into loading the tires in the tractor that was another option. No sloshing, no rusting. But it wasn't cheap - about the same price as a tire.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've seen windshield washer fluid used a lot.

Originally Posted By: BLUE72CAMARO

PJ's in Carlinville does - that's where I get most of my tire work done.

I'm definitely closer to Alton than Springfield, but I work in Springfield so it's more convenient...sort of...

Alright good to know, just have to find a pair of rims for it, 24x13's are an oddball size....

My pond renovation thread here
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
What about the weighted "foam"? When I looked into loading the tires in the tractor that was another option. No sloshing, no rusting. But it wasn't cheap - about the same price as a tire.

My guy here locally doesn't do that - and based on what I've read that's a real nightmare if you have to repair the tire. The beet juice is messy to drain and refill - but the foam is darn near a one use deal if you have to bust the rim.

Dale

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails