Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O, anthropic, Justin W), 974 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Might be a good idea to contemplate the shape of the perch, in order to ensure the target falls away and off of, rather than right on top of, the hot zone.

I figured you'd consider that while working the prototype this weekend, Tony.

Will totally factor that into my design, Nikola.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Can you put corn out to distract the squirrels away from your sparrow trap? To me trapping seems like your best option, either you need a better trap or a new way of setting up the one you have. I am skeptical that you can find a way to electrocute sparrows effectively.

HOW DO BIRDS SIT ON HIGH-VOLTAGE POWER LINES WITHOUT GETTING ELECTROCUTED?

On high power lines the birds are not grounded. You could hang on one too. They need to stand on both the hot and ground wire to get fried. That is why it was suggested a 1/8 inch spacing between the wires. The bird's feet will be on both at the same time. Have to complete the circuit.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/29/15 09:22 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
Lunker
One would have to figure out how to get the sparrows grounded without tripping the circuit breakers in the house as soon as you flip the switch.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Surely I'm not the only one here who's cooked a hot dog with an extension cord and two nails??

It's all about the conductivity of the unfortunate party. If you laid a chunk of copper across the two wires the circuit breaker would pop for sure.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/29/15 09:45 PM.

[Linked Image]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I could always go with a battery indoors if circuit breakers are a concern.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

You are basically trying to make a big bug zapper

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

That's what the males look like. I am in TJ's camp. Make 'em disappear. They push out a lot of native birds. They've been around for so long that many people don't realize the problems they cause. Starlings too. Both are on the permanent hit list and get whacked whenever possible. I have more freedom, so the .17 Mach II gets used when they are perching on the martin house - 50 yds from the house. They make good cat food, or catfish bait.

TJ, do the comments that everyone is making sound familiar? wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
Respectfully I disagree

Pat

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 01/29/15 11:42 PM.
Not a real significant thread for Pond Boss forum, in my book....oh well, to each his own.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Guys - If you want to disagree with the scientific community on the importance of managing invasive species, I encourage your passion. Author a thesis challenging the position - it's not my obligation to defend science. This post was made under the topic "Wildlife Management" for the purpose of soliciting ideas on management of an invasive species and ways to humanely euthanize them. Pond Boss magazine and the forum routinely deals with feral hogs, bullheads, carp, beavers, muskrats, even LMB etc. trapping and euthanizing - it's an important management topic that effects many of us. It might interest some, and others not so much. I hope those interested will share their ideas and experiences. If you're in the latter group, don't feel obligated to participate in the discussion if it makes you uncomfortable.

Certainly you're entitled to your opinions, whether based on science, emotions, moon phases, or whatever happens to be motivating your feedback. The real head scratcher for me is, why you feel obligated to share your personal opinions with me on the topic? That might be a good topic for a brand new thread! I can assure you, I'm not recruiting others to my cause nor encouraging anyone to manage their own HOSP populations, nor trolling for your approval. I'm merely citing scientific and empirical data as my motivation.

Lastly, Stickem - hey, hate to break it to you, but I've never made a "significant" forum contribution to date - so don't recommend holding your breath. I find consistency is the key.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Wires on a perch will just deter the sparrows. I use an electric fencer. Put the ground on the perch and hot lead near food, and like that hotdog the 2 nails roast things fast. I haven't found a constantly hot fencer unit in a while. The 60 cycle pulse units are higher volts, but lower amps, so a little less lethal.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Rex, I'm putting this on the back burner for now. Shifting my focus to establishing a foundation which will promote the welfare of orphaned feral hogs in Texas.

P
P
It's not that we are against taking out critters that cause problems and or damage crops or whatever it's the difference in geography. Here in Texas they have never been known as a problem to anything that I'm aware of. Just never would think of a sparrow as invasive.

Pat W

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Rex, I'm putting this on the back burner for now. Shifting my focus to establishing a foundation which will promote the welfare of orphaned feral hogs in Texas.

I, and I am sure others headed to the conference, will do our best to support your noble philanthropic endeavors TJ. I pledge to do all I can to supply you with as many orphans as possible, even if it means spending my hard earned dollars on more cooler space for the undeserving parents to reside in....

J
J
I caught English sparrow's in a wire trap cage to keep them from my Purple Martin house's until one day I asked myself why was one life more important then another in his case. Because a Martin is more fun to watch, prettier or some preconceived thought that I din't like them? Because they are an invasive species? How many years does it take for an invasive species to become a natural species? 100 years? 1000 years? If a sparrow flew south to South America every winter and flew back in the spring would they be considered an invasive species while a Humming bird does this and isn't considered an invasive species?

I put out a dozen blue houses and I get Tree Swallows in half of the and sparrows in half. That's fine. I feed woodpecker with grease and all kinds of other kinds of birds with thistles seed and bird seed and get some sparrows, which is fine also. In my pond area I have a variety of wild foods growing for the birds like Mulberry's, Blackberry's, Raspberry, Silk leaf Dogwood's, Cattail's and more which bring in a large variety of wild birds. I took my sparrow catching cage down.

Guys - If you want to disagree with the scientific community on the importance of managing invasive species, I encourage your passion. Author a thesis challenging the position - it's not my obligation to defend science. This post was made under the topic "Wildlife Management" for the purpose of soliciting ideas on management of an invasive species and ways to humanely euthanize them. Pond Boss magazine and the forum routinely deals with feral hogs, bullheads, carp, beavers, muskrats, even LMB etc. trapping and euthanizing - it's an important management topic that effects many of us. It might interest some, and others not so much. I hope those interested will share their ideas and experiences. If you're in the latter group, don't feel obligated to participate in the discussion if it makes you uncomfortable.

Certainly you're entitled to your opinions, whether based on science, emotions, moon phases, or whatever happens to be motivating your feedback. The real head scratcher for me is, why you feel obligated to share your personal opinions with me on the topic? That might be a good topic for a brand new thread! I can assure you, I'm not recruiting others to my cause nor encouraging anyone to manage their own HOSP populations, nor trolling for your approval. I'm merely citing scientific and empirical data as my motivation.

Lastly, Stickem - hey, hate to break it to you, but I've never made a "significant" forum contribution to date - so don't recommend holding your breath. I find consistency is the key.

TJ,
...I seem to have incited discontent within you...sincerely not my intent. Perhaps you are correct with regards to personal opinion...note well taken. All I ever desired here is to learn about ponds.
Respectfully,
stickem'

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Like Rex, I haven't seen a continuous fence charger in awhile. As a kid, we had a few that had no problem burning an errant weed in two, or apparently killing a squirrel now and then.

Managing a pond, a woodlot, or your own backyard often involves making choices that may not be acceptable to everyone, worldwide. And while I admire the philosophy that says all life is equally valuable, I myself do not share in this belief. I've mentioned before how my upbringing resulted in me learning the importance of having a reason for killing something...profit, protection, and provisions.

These days, most killing I do is in the form of protection. And that's highly interpretative. Some may see a wild area encircling their pond, going back to nature, and simply love it in that form. I see a jungle, overgrown with weeds and undesirable vegetation, and I break out the brushcutter and maybe a chemical or two.

A muskrat swimming across a still pond, returning to a den filled with young ones can be a tranquil sight. But I find it much more pleasing to my soul when the crosshairs of a 3x9 settle on the critter, right where the waterline meets the fur.

Management. I'm willing to bet that we all practice it, in one form or degree.

(The project is on hold? So, laying awake last night thinking about bird zappers has been for naught???) grin

Last edited by sprkplug; 01/30/15 07:36 AM. Reason: afterthought

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Think Death Ray:

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Naw Tony, was just trying to take the edge off the thread which, for some reason, elicited negative personal narratives questioning the ethics of my management activities. Not to stoke the coals, but in the spirit of full disclosure, I also treat nutsedge and crab grass in my lawn, and spray musk thistle at my farm. The latter of which I'm required to do, by NE law.

In case anyone is curious - standard song birds I attract to my feeders consist of:

Northern Cardinals
Bluejays
Red bellied and Downy Woodpeckers
Northern Flicker
Black Capped Chickadees
Juncos
White and red bellied nuthatches
Carolina Wren
House Finch
Goldfinch
Tufted Titmouse
White throated Sparrow

A standard tube feeder filled with sunflower hearts or nutrasaff will last 3 weeks feeding these birds.

When a flock of HOSP finds the feeder, they will drain it in a matter of 5-7 days, and due to the sheer numbers restrict or prevent feeding by native birds. HOSP cause fiscal damage in addition to other documented issues. Birders like myself set traps when a new flock [typically 15-20 birds] finds the feeders, and thin the numbers until numbers are more manageable.

JKB can't wait for your feedback. Thanks in advance for your help.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Naw Tony, was just trying to take the edge off the thread which, for some reason, elicited negative personal narratives questioning the ethics of my management activities.

Management activities?

Heck, I read though the whole thread, patiently waiting for the recipe for "Oiseau a la Hudson", cooked to perfection in the green egg.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Not much for heavy cream based sauces, more of a Spatzwurst, Sauerkraut und Knodel guy. I'm working on it, Dave.

How about a fine mesh grid floor....fine enough that food can be scattered and you can get several at a time?

Sprkplg brings up a really good point in trying to get the targets to fall off the floor rather than on it. Making clean-up a simpler solution.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
B
B
I'm probably one of the few birders who watches his birds w/a 12 ga or a .22 w/birdshot next to him. I don't enjoy killing invasives, but I acknowledge the numerous benefits of eliminating them. One thing that has drastically reduced their numbers is switching entirely to black oil sunflower seed--no mixes. They mess around some w/suet cakes but nothing like they do w/a mix w/millet or cracked corn. It has certainly not affected either my bird numbers or species. My favorites are rose breasted grosbeaks in season and our resident towhees.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Starlings are hammering my suet cakes...they'll be next on the list, but they're wily. One flies in some day, then returns with the flock the following day. They will clean out a cake in a couple days which would typically last me two months.

HOSP can't crack the shell of black oils, but some of my preferred birds don't like it, either. It's certainly a tradeoff, unless I can thin this recent herd somewhat. Good tips Brook! Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday