Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 740 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399202 01/29/15 12:00 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I have a siphon system made with 2" pipe. I am eventually going to have to drain one pond into another. What can I place on the end of the 2" pipe that will keep out unwanted fish but not interfere with the siphoning? Thanks for any help!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Can you fabricate a screen out of hardware cloth?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Ark, Best suggestion I have is to make an inlet Tee. Cap the ends and drill lots of 1/4" holes in a split, 10' long section. That will spread out and reduce the suction on the individual holes letting fish escape along with not reducing flow if some holes clog. I have also used a 4-way adaptor that looked like 3, 5' long chicken feet sticking out from the main pipe.

If you leave the ends uncapped, fish will get curious and swim in....then they are a real bugger to get out if twisted up.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/29/15 02:16 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Use a T on the end of the 2" pipe, with a 3-4" "nipple" going each 90 degree direction,take a roll of 1/2" mesh hardware cloth, roll a 4-5' section around a section of pipe the same diameter of the nipples, fasten it with zip ties to keep it from unrolling, slide it off the 2" pipe and slide it on the nipples, attach it to the pipe nipples with a hose clamp, and flatten the outboard end of the hardware cloth about 4-5", fold it over itself and you're done?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
In my experience draining a ponds which have Agridrains installed, I have always had a big BG plug the 4" drain sideways at least once during the draining process and reduce or stop the flow altogether. Sometimes this meant disrobing in mid 40 degree water, like the Fall 2014, and diving to 5' depths so I could get my hands on the fish to remove as it was too deep to reach otherwise. The experience was excruciating, and the fish was beyond nasty as I removed it, piece by piece, from the pipe. Good times.

Agridrain sells fish guards and offers other options to fit several sizes of pvc and install on the inflow end of the PVC which would have likely prevented all of my issues. Of course I never installed them, as it would have helped me immensely and made the draining process much simpler, which is evidently against my nature. My pain is the forum's gain, I suppose - or I'd have nothing to write about to make you all feel better about yourselves, collectively.

A DIY solution MIGHT be capping the inflow of your 2" pvc, and making 1" drain holes throughout the last 2' section of pvc. Even if a fish got too close to the suction and got stuck, you still have many drainage holes unplugged to continue the draining process unimpeded.

These are all options I should have considered installing prior to refilling the ponds. Please, learn from my follies, or be doomed to repeat. Misery loves company!

[https://ecommerce.agridrain.com/pdf/catalog.pdf]

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
So where is the video? grin

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Suction screens

For some ideas.

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby 2" suction screen

Last edited by snrub; 01/29/15 03:08 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Showoff

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Why not a plastic well point/screen with a filter sock over it? Or just the well point/screen by itself?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41832-15649-PPWP...&facetInfo=

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
In my experience draining a ponds which have Agridrains installed, I have always had a big BG plug the 4" drain sideways at least once during the draining process and reduce or stop the flow altogether. Sometimes this meant disrobing in mid 40 degree water, like the Fall 2014, and diving to 5' depths so I could get my hands on the fish to remove as it was too deep to reach otherwise. The experience was excruciating, and the fish was beyond nasty as I removed it, piece by piece, from the pipe. Good times.

Agridrain sells fish guards and offers other options to fit several sizes of pvc and install on the inflow end of the PVC which would have likely prevented all of my issues. Of course I never installed them, as it would have helped me immensely and made the draining process much simpler, which is evidently against my nature. My pain is the forum's gain, I suppose - or I'd have nothing to write about to make you all feel better about yourselves, collectively.

A DIY solution MIGHT be capping the inflow of your 2" pvc, and making 1" drain holes throughout the last 2' section of pvc. Even if a fish got too close to the suction and got stuck, you still have many drainage holes unplugged to continue the draining process unimpeded.

These are all options I should have considered installing prior to refilling the ponds. Please, learn from my follies, or be doomed to repeat. Misery loves company!

[https://ecommerce.agridrain.com/pdf/catalog.pdf]

I feel your pain as I had to swim out to restart my siphon last fall in Early November...

After that I installed a second valve at the waters edge so I didnt have to cap the intake side off when the pond level was way down and the discharge leg didnt have enough pull to clear all the air out of the line.

My pond renovation thread here

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday