Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I have a pond that I am draining and restocking in south Arkansas. I really like to fly fish but have mainly fished for trout. What would be the ideal type of fish to have in my pond for pond fly fishing?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I haven't been fly fishing that long but I have caught plenty of bluegill on a flyrod. George, here on the forum, swears by HSB. He catches plenty in his ponds. Look up some of his posts. If it was me, I'd restock with some BG first to get the forage base going, then decide on what you want to do. Somebody will come along here shortly with more knowledge than me.

Welcome to the forum!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

C
CMM Offline
C
Arktiger,

Hey, hopefully George1 will chime in, but in the meantime, I have a pond in W Central Missouri stocked with BG, LMB and RES. I have caught all of them on the fly. If you are already set up for trout, that rig should allow for a heap of fun with some large gills. LMB on a 6 or 8wt rod are too much fun smile

I would look at what species and sub species (like the CNBG and Florida strain LMB maybe) do well in your area, figure what you want to focus on in your pond. Because any fish you can catch on traditional tackle, you can catch on a fly rod! I was fly fishing with my father this summer on a local stream for smb and he caught a channel cat on a crawfish streamer. Biggest fish caught that day.

Have fun and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

CMM

CMM

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hybrid striped bass (HSB) and hybrid bluegill (HBG) make a great combination in a small pond. Both take feed very effectivly. They grow fast. Best of all, they are extremely agressive and don't seem to become hook-shy very easily. The HSB will keep after any reproduction from the HBG.

Flies, spinner baits, worms, you-name-it -- these two types of fish will grab anything very quickly as it gets near or into the water.

One of my ponds is set up this way, plus it has channel cats. It is incredible for young and elderly guests -- and certainly I enjoy it also.

This is a "put and take" pond. It requires regular infusions of new fish stock. It requires a good feeding program. Culling is absolutely necessary.

I tried trout in this pond last winter. I couldn't get the trout out last spring because the other fish were so much more agressive in going after any bait hitting the water.

Good luck,
Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 01/28/15 01:40 AM. Reason: Grammar

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Arktiger
I have a pond that I am draining and restocking in south Arkansas. I really like to fly fish but have mainly fished for trout. What would be the ideal type of fish to have in my pond for pond fly fishing?

The only reason I have a pond is for fly fishing and the only fish I target specifically is Hybrid Striped Bass - my favorite pond fish.
“It’s not the fish in the fight - it’s the fight in th fish!"

They are much easier to catch than LMB and fight much harder and have an appetite for almost any fly that matches the hatch - be it simple pellet flies (egg) patterns), simple Wally World poppers, Clousers or streamers.

“OUR” ponds are actually my son’s ponds, and his LMB are an important addition that we mange for, but I seldom target them.

I have fished conventional tackle only a couple of times in some 10 years and then only to cull overpopulated LMB. I have caught every species of fish in our pond on fly tackle at one time or another .

Check out the Fly Fishing topic - Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=390410#Post390410

Lots of topics about flies on the forum - most fun was the fly naming contest that Ewest won - Mrs. G’s $Gill - gonna try to tie up a few for show and tell (silent auction) at the up-coming Pond Boss conference.

Lots of fun pond fishin’ on the fly!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

A
OP Offline
A
My ponds are both .4 acres. Would Hybrid striper work in that small of an area? I've only seen them in lakes around here.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Arktiger
My ponds are both .4 acres. Would Hybrid striper work in that small of an area? I've only seen them in lakes around here.

My answer is YES...our small 1/4 ac pond is a little jewell..good for up to 4 - 5 lb HSB ...they grow larger in large ponds but plenty of fun on thr fly in small ponds!

Check out:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=398080&page=1

They will do best with little to no structure and cover for HSB predation to avoid BG overpopulation - no LMB though except same sex.
I have no experience with HBG but others have good results.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good advice by all above. Any normal pond species properly managed to stay catchable and not overpopulated will work for fly fishing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The only thing you have to watch is catching and releasing them in warm water. George has a pure O2 "first aid tank" that he places the HSB in so their O2 is replenished before releasing them back into the water when it's warm out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
G1
Should O2 them before catching them ... Supercharged HSB.... Now that would be fun George

Pat W

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump