Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Bought a house last spring that has two ponds equaling about 3/4 of an acre. All we were able to catch out of it was tiny tin brim and tiny catfish. Didn't catch anything larger than my hand. Caught no bass. I'd like to turn one into a bass pond and the other a catfish or Crappie pond. Can I stock bass fingerlings with our them being eaten by the other fish or do I need to do a chemical kill off? Any info you have would be helpful. I'm pretty clueless.

Hi Arktiger,

Wecome to PBF!

Can you post some pictures of the fish you have now? I am sure the pros will be able to identify the specie(s) and be better able to offer suggestions.

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
A
OP Offline
A
Man, I wish I had thought of getting some pictures. The only pictures I have is of my kids holding them up and they are so tiny you can't see anything about them.

Ok, so how acquainted are you with different fish species? For example, are you sure your tiny catfish are not bullheads? One easy identifier is the tails are squared off on a bullhead where on say a channel cat, the tail is deeply V shape. The bullheads also often have a light brown or yellow belly.

[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
If I remember correctly they looked more like the bullheads you describe. Do I have any options this time of year to look at the fish population before I decide what to do in stocking season. Are fish traps an option?

A
OP Offline
A
Here is the only picture I could find of brim. Believe it or not, this is actually one of the large ones.

Originally Posted By: Arktiger
If I remember correctly they looked more like the bullheads you describe. Do I have any options this time of year to look at the fish population before I decide what to do in stocking season. Are fish traps an option?

Do you have any ice on the pond? I assume no, but weather is weird everywhere now so thought I would ask.

[Linked Image]
Here is the only picture I could find of brim. Believe it or not, this is actually one of the large ones.

Kind of hard to see, but from the mouth gap, I am guessing green sunfish. Hopefully, a pro will weigh in with an opinion.

[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
No. It froze over a couple of weeks ago but that is very rare.

No. It froze over a couple of weeks ago but that is very rare.

Then the answer to your question is NO. There is no safe way for you to try to assess what is in your pond as long as it has a thin ice cover.

[Linked Image]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
How large are the ponds? The bluegill does look pretty stunted in the picture, I don't see the GSF colors, but the picture is kinda fuzzy. The smile on your daughter is awesome regardless of fish species and size!

If the catfish ARE bullheads, personally, I would pump the ponds as low as I could and add however much Hydrated lime it takes to raise the pH over 11 to kill everything and stock according to new species goals wanted.

What part of Arkansas are you in?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
It do look like a GSF to me. And in the absence of appropriate numbers of predators, that may well indeed be a large one.

look at the size of the jig in its mouth...aggressive buggers!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
A
OP Offline
A
Quote:
Then the answer to your question is NO. There is no safe way for you to try to assess what is in your pond as long as it has a thin ice cover.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It froze over one morning but is not currently froze over. That is rare.

Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It froze over one morning but is not currently froze over. That is rare.

Then get some worms and go fishing and post some clear pics for the pros.

I see two pros have already risen to the bait of this discussion so I will drop into the background. These guys won't steer you wrong.

Good Luck and good fishing!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Rex is the pro, I'm just a lurking poser.....a lu-ser in other words.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My ID vote goes to Green Sunfish!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
OP Offline
A
[/quote] Then get some worms and go fishing and post some clear pics for the pros. [/quote]

I didn't think they bite well this time of year?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Rainman
How large are the ponds? The bluegill does look pretty stunted in the picture, I don't see the GSF colors, but the picture is kinda fuzzy. The smile on your daughter is awesome regardless of fish species and size!

If the catfish ARE bullheads, personally, I would pump the ponds as low as I could and add however much Hydrated lime it takes to raise the pH over 11 to kill everything and stock according to new species goals wanted.

What part of Arkansas are you in?

I was afraid of that. What kind of cost is the lime? I think my dad has a pump. I live in south Arkansas in El Dorado.

[/quote] Then get some worms and go fishing and post some clear pics for the pros.

I didn't think they bite well this time of year?
[/quote]

They will bite man. Just slow your fishing techniques way down. You only need a photo of one sunfish and one catfish.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill D. and Arktiger. The sunfish is a green sunfish.

Rex is getting old, his eyes are going and he has a small screen on his phone. wink grin

If you want to turn that pond into a LMB pond, you don't have to kill or remove them. Just stock advanced sized LMB at least 8"-10" or larger fish at 50 - 75 per surface acre. The GSF will eat fingerling LMB, so there's no point in stocking small ones. Wait until the LMB have chowed down on the GSF for a while before stocking BG, but then if you do you have to stock advanced sized BG to prevent the stockers from getting eaten by the LMB.

You could drain both ponds, either with a large trash pump or via the overflow if you have a valve on it. Then kill the remaining water and any wet spots in the pond bottom with either hydrated lime or rotenone.

Unless you want to do a lot of management (i.e. removing fish yearly) don't stock crappie. If you want to turn that other pond into a Channel Catfish pond, you might not have to drain and kill it, but the bullheads in there will be competing with the Channel Cats for food. Bullheads have rounded tails, Channels have deeply forked tails. BH are black or brown on top turning to white or yellow on the bottom. CC are silvery/blue on top usuallywith spots on the smaller ones turning to white on the bottom.

Last edited by esshup; 01/24/15 10:25 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I agree, my eyes suck, and I felt it was a greenie...If both Bullheads and GSF are in the pond, are they subject to being flooded out? If not flooded, the ponds were probably bucket stocked from a local creek.

Arktiger, don't feel to heartbroken if needing to kill and restart, if the ponds are smaller (under an acre), they will be fairly easy and inexpensive to start over on.....

I drained and nuked a half acre pond this past summer in a single day. next day was spent netting out dead fish. The client had a nearby creek and by the next morning, we'd re-stocked it. It IS smelly and muddy work, but not overly difficult.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/24/15 10:50 PM.

S
S
Yep. GSF

Here are a couple of threads concerning GSF. Some good discussion on the subject.

100% GSF

GSF

Fish n chips discovery and management of GSF

Good luck whatever you decide to do and welcome to the forum

Last edited by snrub; 01/24/15 11:38 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
A
OP Offline
A
Here are my two ponds. I am leaning towards draining them and liming what is left. The two ponds equal .8 acre. A few questions.

1. My dad has a high pressure water pump. What kind of time are we talking for draining it down?

2. How much lime will I need and how much will that cost?

4. Judging by the look of these ponds how would you stock them. I would like to have them each stocked kind of differently. I am mainly interested in bass, brim and Catfish. I would like crappie but hear they get out of control. The wide pond is 9 to 10 feet. Lots of trees laying on bottom and I have heard a rumor there is even a car. The skinny one is probably 7 feet at its deepest. How would you distribute the fish?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since I don't have enough information about the pump I will give you information on how to figure out the time to pump.

You gotta figure it on gallons per minute or gallons per hour.

A 1 ac area covered with water is 325,851 gallons (one acre foot). A really rough rule of thumb is take the maximum depth, ÷ that by 2 and multiply that by the surface area to give you acre feet. Multiply that by gallons and you'll get the volume. Find the GPM or GPH of the pump and do the math.

To lime it, you need enough hydrated lime to get a pH of 11+. A cheap pH test kit that allows you to test for high pH will help immensely. Get all the damp spots too, as bullheads will burrow into the mud to survive.

If there's a lot of muck on the bottom of the pond, now would be a good time to get an excavator in there to clean it out. Doing that will save you $$$$ in the future battling weeds and/or filamentous algae.

Then while it's drained, put cover in there for the fish to make it easier to fish the pond, and to help the fish population.

Different areas of the country has different prices for lime, etc. You want hydrated lime or quick lime.

Do you want large bluegill and 2#-3# bass? Do you want a catfish only pond? What about Hybrid striped bass and hybrid bluegills/maybe some redear sunfish in one pond, Hybrid Bluegills and channel cats in the other?

Will you be feeding the fish on a regular basis? (i.e. daily)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Looking at the aerial view, you could build a couple of siphon drains for less money than pump fuel would cost, and once started, no fuel tank refilling or work till they are near empty. I'd probably drain the upper pond into the lower...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails