Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That is a lot from just two minnow traps in a single set. Can't remember if I would have had that many in one trapping total from two traps but at the worst pretty close. I can trap for a few days, moving the traps around, and definitely reduce the catch numbers. When the traps start producing less and less and the catch size gets a lot smaller will lay off for a while. Just have one minnow trap out in the old pond now and get from zero to two GSF and up to a couple BH.

Not sure if I'm actually reducing the population that much, or simply trapping the ones that have become accustomed to the feed and go in the trap well. Gives me some personal satisfaction that there is positive progress anyway.

Caught two LMB last night out of the old pond (dang! forgot the mouth gape), one 13" and one 14 1/4. That is pretty darn good considering there are only six or eight in there moved from my other pond. Caught one a while back at 14" also. The 14" ones seemed to be fat and healthy. The 13" looked ok but not especially fat. Was totally surprised because wife and I were casting small plastic jigs (1/32 oz) to see if we could catch any larger GSF. Did not expect the LMB to jump on the hook. They were in a couple foot of water cruising the shore line, I would imagine looking for a GSF meal.

Last edited by snrub; 10/23/14 09:12 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
O
O
Originally Posted By: snrub
I had to look up what spotted bass were.

Here is an article about them, with an interesting map that shows them being native to the very small area of SE Ks I live in. There is a small area of drainage that drains into the Spring River drainage into Missouri that is unique to SE Ks. Although on the map it appears the SE Ks area drains down into Oklahoma which would indicate the Neosho River. So not sure about all that. Anyway, it shows Spotted Bass in my area.

Thanks for the suggestion. The fish has my interest peaked at least.

Spotted Bass article

Spotted bass in Kansas

Yea, I have to tell you I love those "Spots." The ones I catch are like sticks of dynamite with fins and tails. The phrase "big things come in small packages" comes to mind when I think of them. Built like small torpedo's they are real acrobats & are always willing biters. Biggest I've caught has been around 3 pounds. Seems like when you catch one all the others race over to area where you are fishing and stack up like cord wood eager to take your bait. It's not the kind of behavior you would expect from a Bass? To me they act more like a White Bass than a Largemouth? Before these I don't think I had ever caught a Spotted Bass. They're probably not for everyone? But I'm huge a fan of them now!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My trapping this summer has used three bare wire mesh minnow traps; 2 regular Gee minnow traps and a large cylinder trap 30"x15"dia. Drab color bare wire and non rubber coated traps catch more fish vs shiny metal or rubber coated. Traps soak for 2 to 4 days and catches of GSF in the 3 traps range from 19 to 113 (Ave 51). GSF can be a real nuisance when bass are not present. I will likely have to renovate.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/24/14 06:58 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Ran the 3 traps again today (3 day set) and collected 79 GSF mostly YOY sizes toward the annual total. Three days later caught another 48 GSF.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/29/14 01:52 PM.

C
C
what size wire mesh are the minnow traps?

Something like the 10 x 10 wire mesh seen here - www.bwire.com ?

If so - did you fabricate your self or bought it some place?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Mesh size for my traps is standard 1/4 hardware galvanized cloth purchased at builders supply places. I have both commercial traps and homemade traps with 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" mesh sizes.
Examples:
Gee Brand minnow traps
http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/gees-galvanized-minnow-trap-g-40

Larger styles
http://ktraps.com/high-quality-minnow-traps.html

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ran across this old thread on GSF and decided to add the link to this thread.

JHAP and DIED old GSF thread from 2006

jdfarmer's GSF thread

GSFxRES hybrid thread

John

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I added this entire thread to the Sunfish Primer - GSF Section in the Archives.

Thanks for doing that Bill. If only JHAP and D.I.E.D. would log on and see that's our beloved GSF now enjoy a proper home and are going down in history...not just infamy. Those two guys haven't been online for either side of a year. Don't suppose they both suffered some horrible fate in the mouth of the terror of their ponds, do you?
GSF, as we know, are aggressive beasts.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes, thanks Bill.

Now those misguided enlightened individuals that profess to see positive qualities in the damned much maligned fish will have an easy reference for additional foolishness enlightenment.

John

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I still say GSF look best dead, planted beside a corn kernel in the garden! grin

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It is just that JHAP and D.I.E.D are so busy removing excess GSF from their pond trying to keep it in balance they have no time to visit the forum.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
It is just that JHAP and D.I.E.D are so busy removing excess GSF from their pond trying to keep it in balance they have no time to visit the forum.

LOL! I might have to take over for these guys as representing the fine fish that is the green sunfish. I never understood it until I experienced the power of this magnificent fish grin

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, the haters have an aversion to busted tackle. These guys certainly don't get hook shy.

I once drank the "Hate the GSF Koolaid". Then I started catching some bigger ones. When I caught a "big" one I was disappointed by the size and would toss them on the bank. Then I asked myself why I was fishing if I didn't enjoy the fight. That's when I stopped trying to eliminate them.

Mine must have come from the hatchery when I initially stocked.

The fight is/was different than a BG. They try to take your fishing pole away from you.

The growing seasons are longer here and more of their offspring get eaten. In the absence of bass, they, like other crosses, would certainly over populate. I can see where that makes a difference up North. But, in a balanced pond in a warmer weather environment, I have never seen them dominate a pond like the guys up North do. With bass, they tend to pretty well die out over time. They just cannot compete with BG and bass reproduction numbers.

Since there are no large predators in my forage pond, they seem to make up about 50% of the population. That will certainly increase over time even though they only spawn annually and BG have a rolling spawn.

I do not hesitate to transfer them from my forage to my bigger pond. To me, they are just more bass food. If a couple escape predation, I will appreciate the fight.

If you tied a 7" GSF tail-to-tail with a 9" BG, the BG would be drowned in a short time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
GSF, what's that? Are you talking about swamp trout?

My brood pond GSF experience mirrors Dave's, and in 15 years, I've never seen, seined, or caught a GSF in the big puddle. If you have larger alpha predators, GSF just don't spawn enough to mess things up. At least that's been my experience.

What has really surprised me is that CNBG/GSF hybrids are nonexistent in the brood pond. Different spawning cycles maybe? I would have thought at least once a year they would have synced up.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 01/16/15 07:29 AM. Reason: ADHD

AL

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well I'm about as close to the middle of the northern and southern ponds as one can get, so it will be interesting to see how my old pond fares with its GSF population. I had a few larger ones and a good bunch of smaller ones, now I've introduced adult (5-6") BG and a few LMB so it will be interesting to see how the GSF fare.

I've quit trapping the GSF and BH's and going to see what evolves. Will likely pull out every GSF and BH I catch by line, and otherwise let the LMB do their thing.

Last edited by snrub; 01/16/15 01:42 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
Would you entertain the idea of feeding the fish in that pond? Either by hand every day or with an auto fish feeder?

What other goals do you have for that pond?

As an update to this thread, actually did start feeding in this pond about 6 days a week. Basically every day while water temperatures were above 55 degrees but would miss a day once in a while. Will start up again feeding next spring as the water warms, probably about mid-March or first part of April.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Never ceases to amaze me how aggressive a GSF can be toward a bait half the length the fish is.

Attached Images
010.JPG

John

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
John that's neat.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is one aggressive little GSF.

Put me on the list of GSF proponents...pound for pound they're a ton of fun to catch.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Another update to the GSF saga. Been feeding them (along with the BG when the BG can beat the GSF to a pellet) and when the feed hits the water you would think a school of Piranhas were in the water instead of sunfish. Those greenies really put on a show at feeding time.

Lots of 5" GSF and also catch about 2 GSF to 1 BG when fishing, so I'm not too unhappy with that catch rate.

Have to be a little careful feeding this pond as there is no aeration (this is my old refurbished 1 acre pond) and I do not want to get the biomass so great there is a fish kill. Besides, don't think I could afford the feed bill if I fed all the feed these GSF would eat. Have never found the point of satiation but instead just feed a couple pounds of feed for the acre of water.

Also catch quite a few 4-6" BH from last years spawn. Still removing the BH and GSF as I catch them, but had a minnow trap in the water for about a week and caught very few small GSF or BH, so took the trap out. I think the half dozen LMB I put in there last year along with the larger GSF are taking care of the smaller fish.

Will probably start returning the best of the best GSF back into the water and try to grow some really nice GSF. If there is such a thing. grin

Last edited by snrub; 06/09/15 09:51 AM.

John

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ya know, there's not a lot to like about GSF until they bite. But then...........

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
GSF are not nearly as much fun to bash without Jhap, Died and the GSA

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Ya know, there's not a lot to like about GSF until they bite. But then...........

+1 Imagine hanging into a 8+ inch GSF on ultralite. Now that would be a hoot! smile

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??