Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1), 725 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have a solar tripod deer feeder I do not use any more. Any ideas how to utilize this to feed my fish on 2 acre pond?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
T
T
maybe attach a trailer finder (located at Tractor supply) to the tripod legs at the same level as the seed dispenser, making a 180 degree backstop, which should cause a bounce back of the feed to the direction u want. May not be perfect but I think it would work. Or float the feeder to the middle of the pond and let it do a 360 like it was designed.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
S
Do you have access to a welder and are you handy with making something out of steel?

The reason I ask is, someone on here a year or so ago made a very neat swinging arm made out of pipe that swung the feeder out over the water. Pipe swiveled on another pipe and the feeder was placed out over the water. He swung the feeder to shore to fill it.

My memory is fuzzy. It may have been a fish feeder rather than a deer feeder, but in my estimation maybe the way to make a deer feeder work for fish is somehow you need to get the feed where it needs to be in the water. One way would be to actually put the feeder over the water rather than on the bank.

Just an idea to spark your own imagination. Not a definitive plan.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I been using a Remington deer feeder now for 5 years. Here is a pic of it in the water. Course its only in about 5 feet. If your ponds edge gets deep fast this will not work, but it works great for me. I go out and fill with my boat when I need to or sometimes I walk out there with my chest waders on. The one thing I like about this setup is with this feeder throwing food in a 360 even some of my smaller fish closer to shore get some too. It's not just throwing it out to the bigger fish in deep water! In this pic you can see a few things going on. 1. My son has a nice LMB on he caught near the feeder lurking for BG. And 2 on the right you can see my air station running. I also have a small brush pile just about 10 feet on the other side of the feeder for fish to hide in while they are waiting on the food. It works great for me. The only downside is filling it up and swapping out a battery, but if yours is solar then you only got one down side and thats filling it up from time to time.

Attached Images
Deer Fish Feeder.JPG
Last edited by RC51; 01/08/15 08:35 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I do restore vintage cars and have been a mechanic all my life. I have welding capabilities. Anything you can think of will help.I was thinking maybe all I have to do is build a shroud around my spinner with just a small opening to direct the food one direction.Seems around here in east texas I can buy a good deer feeder for 1/4th the price of a fish feeder. The food is expensive enough.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
D
D
Ya same here. I can buy four deer feeders replacements for the price of one the high end fish feeders.

I used heavy gauge aluminum to block 180 degrees of the fan. First shroud did not go the full height in that area and tried to zip tie it in. After a few days the shroud lifted and negated its purpose. So round two made the shroud fit tight and loosened off the three screws that hold the fan assembly to the bin. Placed the shroud in and tightened up the three bolts pinching the shroud in place. Running a year and a half this way with no problems.

Ours has the three legs. There is three bottom sections and three mid extension legs. I have two with extensions and one with out. The one with out happens to be the battery side with controls so this side is on the bank. The two longer legs are in the water. A flat rock on the shore can level the single leg or tip it to shoot the feed higher farther.

This one got a good flooding with the fan and motor under water for a good 12 hours. Still working like a charm.

I have it placed about 8 feet from our weed and tree bed so the young will get feed with the hopes the young perch will learn to pellet feed too.

I can shoot some pictures of it if you need. I have it pulled out for the winter.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Dono, Sounds like we have the same feeder with the 2 part tripod legs.I would greatly appreciate the photos you spoke of if you are sure it is not too much trouble.About how far does it shoot into the water? What fish food do you use. I will not have catfish. Only bluegills and lmb.

D
D
Originally Posted By: Flame
Dono, Sounds like we have the same feeder with the 2 part tripod legs.I would greatly appreciate the photos you spoke of if you are sure it is not too much trouble.About how far does it shoot into the water? What fish food do you use. I will not have catfish. Only bluegills and lmb.

We have perch and out pond is about 1 acre and it will shoot the feed about 30-40 feet from shore. The feed is Martins high energy 5mm.

Let me shoot some pictures of the feeder and close up ones of the shroud.

I have been working on my 69 valiant two door post for some time now and the aluminum I used was scrap from my inner fenders. The stock fenders were roached and the hooker super comp headers drop out the fender anyways... so hacked them out and bent up aluminum ones. Need a source for some zues clips up here in Canada. So hard to find off the shelf.

Our pond project and new home build has side lined the big block four speed project for the time being.

Here is a picture of it on our shore. One I had on hand. It will put feed over top of the lily pads.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
IMG_3007.JPG

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Flame, I converted my old programmable feeder under a 55g barrel on a tripod. I taped a 2' tall, heavy plastic "curtain" around the bottom of the barrel to stop the scatted of pellets and made a "ring" out of 3/4" PVC pipe I had laying around with 4 elbow's. I placed my tripod on a submerged island that was about 4' under water with deep drop-offs and submerged trees/logs around it on 3 sides.....it worked pretty well once I got the spin time adjusted right. I was worried the humidity and morning/overnight fogs that always happen when there is a difference in water and air temps would soften and clog the funnel, but it never did.

3' under full pool....

Bluegill feeding under feeder with solar panel power cable in view...

Last edited by Rainman; 01/08/15 12:47 PM.

P
P
Flame

Get Stickem to show you a pix of his feeder out in the pond

Pat

Edit: ps watch how much you put in the barrel at one time cause you want to keep fresh feed in it. Corn for deer can last longer than fish food (fish food loses nutrition the older it is). And humidity is an issue down here. That's y I like the Texas Hunter feeder that only holds 70 lbs. at a time. Usually one bag almost fills it up

Pat

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 01/08/15 01:23 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
re: price of fish food.

Expensive is a relative thing, and it depends on how much per pound it costs. If you look at good quality fish pellets vs. FHM cost, you'll see that pellets are a LOT more cost effective when breaking it down into nutritional value per pound of each. Plus you don't have to worry about introducing a species that you don't want in your pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
Esshup
I definitely agree with you. you get lots more lbs.of fish per lb of pellets in relation to FHMs in more ways than one. We know how getting unwanted fish in the pond however they get in

Pat W

Originally Posted By: Flame

Flame,
I'm not sure what a dock feeder cost, but I understand that they are a bit more expensive than some of the lower end deer feeders...but, you generally get what you pay for. Beings that I have no dock, I picked up a Moultrie $99.00 tripod feeder on sale in September prior to hunting season. I have it set up in my pond in ~4' of water. I throw 1/8" & 1/4" mixed floating feed. It easily throws pellets in at least a 30' circle. The spinner is approximately 1.5' above the water. It holds 160lbs of feed. I usually put 100# in to keep the feed fresh. Like mentioned above, I load mine with the help of a 14' alum boat. If you wish, send me (PM) your email address or cell number and I'll shoot you some video of the distance of fish feeding around the feeder. Once I get my dock finished, I'll graduate to a dock feeder. Until then, the tripod works just fine...it's just a little bit more trouble loading out of a boat.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
S
For a trip down memory lane for some of you this thread is back from 2002. Lots of info.

Fish Feeders

The post about hacking up dead animals, putting in a square mesh cage and hanging it over the water so the fly maggots drop in for the fish to eat is a classic.

Last edited by snrub; 01/08/15 04:33 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
P
P
Snrub

This is true but now there is much better feeders out there than back in 2002. Much of the information is still relevant today as back a few years

Pat W

C
C
I have 2 deer feeders in my pond I just took
4x4 and a big post drive drove them in the ground out in the middle of my pond screwed big lag bolts in them and put the leg holes over the lag bolts so it can throw 360 works great just have to go out in the boat to feel them

Last edited by cwadeer; 01/09/15 12:42 AM.
If cost is a determining factor, a directional slinger can always be added to an existing feeder.
various slingers

AL

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
If you go to this link you will see my fish/deer feeder in action. The video starts a little slow but it will show you how it works. I believe I only had mine set to 2 seconds at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKurgpaUPfQ

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Good video Cory

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks TJ that was a while ago I have since had to up my feed time that's for sure! But it works pretty good. I use AM600 and I may put some 400 in there also from time to time and mix it up. Everyone once in a while the spinner might get jammed on a piece of AM600 most of the time when that happens it's because the battery is getting weak.

RC

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I have two tripod deer feeders that I use. I swapped out the 360' motor for a directional, and they both work well. It is tempting to fill both up, but I only add 1 bag at a time to keep issues with spoilage/humidity and jamming at bay. Never had an issue yet using aquamax products ( don't use the large lmb size pellets though, bg only so far)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails