Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,996
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch), 1,375 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#395921 12/29/14 11:47 AM
W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
We are going to be sinking trees in our neighborhood lake again this year. We are wanting them to provide cover for the bluegill population.

We are currently slightly bass heavy, and we are culling, and added threadfins last year to reduce the predation on bluegill. Currently most of our bluegill are 3-5", with few larger ones.

Last Christmas we sank trees in 3-5 ft of water near spawning areas.

What water depth would be best, and what types of areas?

The lake is about 100 acres, with little natural cover. We are expecting to sink about 150 trees.

Thanks

William
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Hi William

Low WR LMB population is being addressed well in your current efforts of culling LMB, establishing additional forage species [TFS], and boosting BG population with addition of cover. I'd continue to focus your placement of dense brush in shallow areas under 5-6' - think of bunching it instead of thinly spreading it. 2-3 bundles of trees in one area, move 100 feet, sink another. Sounds like you are on the right track. Did you see improved BG recruitment following your structure placement efforts last year?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
P
Teehjaeh57
Would you think a pathway of trees from the bank out to 5-6' would be a good option not only for BG but also for gambusia to hide in? My minnows get hammered by the LMB YOY

Pat W

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
We did see more bluegil. When you went up to the shallow trees they were covered in 1-2" bluegill.

We got the TS from Greg Grimes, and they are doing great.

William
S
S
Would a few in deeper water be a good idea so the BG have a place to hide as the water cools? Maybe the predation is not that great in the winter?

I don't know, just asking.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Lusk, et al prescribe dense shallow cover [1-6' depth] for forage [BG] population protection. Considering your goals [improved LMB WR], sheer size of BOW [100 ac], and amount of raw materials for structure [150 6-8' conifers] I'd focus efforts on shallow areas first. You're looking at placing 30 groups of 5 trees on over 4 million sq ft of water - so I'd lock down those shallow areas first. You're already seeing results from your previous structure implementation - improved LMB WR will likely result in conjunction with assertive culling efforts of low WR LMB. I think you're on the right track - give these efforts 2-3 seasons to reflect true impact. Keep taking L/W measurements and keep us apprised.

You did well with TFS from Grimes...he's a can't miss resource.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Teehjaeh57
Would you think a pathway of trees from the bank out to 5-6' would be a good option not only for BG but also for gambusia to hide in? My minnows get hammered by the LMB YOY

Pat W

Yes, I would not leave 50' of open water from shallow shoreline vegetation areas out to the brush piles...that's a lot of exposure to predation swimming out to the brush and back to the shoreline vegetation for feeding of invertabrates. Would likely take a beating - might be setting up the forage for major damage. I like the idea of placing trees from shoreline out to deeper water - like a finger - maybe with a T on the end. Allows them a safe highway of travel with limited exposure. Experiment with placement and map how you situate the brush piles. Some designs will hold more BG than others, then you retrace your steps, refer to the map, extrapolate data and determine what characteristics made the structure more or less successful. You'll likely arrive at a pattern and depth configuration that will prove the most successful model - then use that moving forward.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: snrub
Would a few in deeper water be a good idea so the BG have a place to hide as the water cools? Maybe the predation is not that great in the winter?

I don't know, just asking.

Yes...but I don't totally understand the dynamics of GA water temps and how they relate to movement of BG - so I'd leave that to others. Certainly you don't want to raise a ton of forage only to leave them in barren deep water getting hammered all Winter. Of course, I do this purposely to help manage my BG population...less cover the better - but our goals are inverse.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Lots of good ideas and text on structure in the structure archive

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Thanks for all the info and ideas.

I think I'm going to try the tree highways out to the piles.

Also should I look for 4-6' depth close to deeper water?

William
S
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Teehjaeh57

Pat W

Yes, I would not leave 50' of open water from shallow shoreline vegetation areas out to the brush piles...that's a lot of exposure to predation swimming out to the brush and back to the shoreline vegetation for feeding of invertabrates. Would likely take a beating - might be setting up the forage for major damage. I like the idea of placing trees from shoreline out to deeper water - like a finger - maybe with a T on the end. Allows them a safe highway of travel with limited exposure. Experiment with placement and map how you situate the brush piles. Some designs will hold more BG than others, then you retrace your steps, refer to the map, extrapolate data and determine what characteristics made the structure more or less successful. You'll likely arrive at a pattern and depth configuration that will prove the most successful model - then use that moving forward.

I wish I had read about fish highways before doing my structure/cover. I have a lot of isolated islands of structure. The good part is they go from the deepest water (10') to near the surface, but are still isolated from shore. Did all this just before discovering PBF. I may make some attempts this coming summer to install some cover out to a few of these structures to see how it works out.

I did get the chance to scuba dive a couple of times and see what was in various cover schemes. Lots of small BG in the cedar tree cover. The wooden layered structures I put in for FHM had tons of tiny fish around them. They were so small my poor eyes could not determine if they were FHM fry or BG, but some fish were definitely making use of hanging around what cover I had provided. Had to get my mask down within a few inches of the structure and bottom to see them. Maybe a half inch long.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
P
P
Wish I had enough energy and concrete blocks to fill lake with cedar trees as I kept all the cedar that was removed for the pond .. Got do something with it all, guess I can do a little at a time. That aught to give a good hiding spot for the YOY

Pat W

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pat, pound in a post/pipe, tie some rope on the cedars and loop the rope around the post/pipe. That keeps them in place and they will get waterlogged and sink.

Ewest does that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
Thanks Esshup
That's a good idea, would save some concrete blocks

Pat

D
D
I had a silted in pond dug out 2 years ago, had two points made. Cut down some big cedars then took a post auger and planted them upright.
put some gravel beds in. Looked like a lot of cedar cover when the pond was empty, now that it is almost full I sure wish I would have put in more. I do like my upright trees. don't know how many years they will last. Pond is about 1 1/2 acre, FHM, CNB. haven't found a way to get more cedars in without a lot of work , so I am adding slowly too.
Dale

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
150 trees in 100 acres sounds pretty light though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
We'd like more than 150 trees, we send an email out to all 2000 residents, and ask them to bring their trees to the lake. A couple of us also will drive around picking up trees.

We've made some improvements to a park at the lake, and put in a dock for kids to fish from, with a fish feeder. Also the availability of reasonably priced kayaks, has created a lot more use of the lake. This increased visibility has gotten the HOA to be very open to more funding.

The fact that the guys fishing the lake put in alot of work with projects around the lake really helps also.

Over the last 4 years we have probably sank 300 trees, so hopefully we are building a base of trees.

William
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
William you're doing it right - little bit at a time as resources are available - you're already witnessing some improvement with BG recruitment. LMB WR will follow in a season or two. If you up here in NE, I have 10 acres of cedars free to a good home like yours!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Even at that pace, the lake will be way short on cover for the fish. I'd look into using plastic wherever possible so you aren't fighting decomposing trees over the years.

For a "balanced" fishery, rough rule of thumb is 20% of the surface area is cover for fish.

Somebody check my math.

100 trees at 5' diameter = 6% of a surface acre?

π∙r2 is the area of the tree. 43,560 square feet in an acre.

Well, THAT didn't translate very well. pi times the radius squared should give the area of the 5' dia. christmas tree.

20% = 8,700 sq ft/acre

Last edited by esshup; 12/31/14 05:45 PM. Reason: math formulas don't work.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Wow! Looking at it that way, you need over 44000 trees 5 foot in diameter (19.6 sq feet/tree) to cover 20% of a 100 acre lake!

Somebody check my math

100 acres = 4356000 sq ft
20% of that = 871200 sq ft
area of a 5 foot diameter tree = 19.6 sq ft
871200/19.6 = 44352 trees

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/31/14 06:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
Even at that pace, the lake will be way short on cover for the fish. I'd look into using plastic wherever possible so you aren't fighting decomposing trees over the years.

For a "balanced" fishery, rough rule of thumb is 20% of the surface area is cover for fish.

Somebody check my math.

100 trees at 5' diameter = 6% of a surface acre?

π∙r2 is the area of the tree. 43,560 square feet in an acre.

Well, THAT didn't translate very well. pi times the radius squared should give the area of the 5' dia. christmas tree.

20% = 8,700 sq ft/acre

Engineers......they love the math! grin

C'mon Scott, admit it....sometimes you just gotta' wing it, seat-of-the-pants style, with no formulas! laugh

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Ok math wiz's, y'all are depressing me. I don't think I'm up for 44k trees!

Would the areas of deeper water say over 18-20' cut into the needed area to cover? We were planning to concentrate on areas close to spawning flats. We've got a pretty good bit of openwater.

Here's a Google earth shot of the lake, and a pic of the tree barge last year.

[/img]

[/img]

William
Hey William,

Don't be discouraged! IMHO Esshup was pointing out with his post that dropping all those trees is a great START but maybe you still have work to do. There are so many other things you can do to provide structure like, docks, fishing peers, appropriate vegetation plantings, rock piles, etc. I am not a pro, so this is just my take on it. Hopefully, Esshup and some of the other guys will come back with followup posts of encouragement and advice.

Happy New Year!

Bill

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/31/14 08:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Didn't mean to be negative at all. Agree with what TJ said..keep on truckin'!!!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
I'm not discouraged, I was just being a little sarcastic. I think we are headed in the right direction. We realize the HOA won't be on board to manage it as a trophy lake. Right now our RW on 8" fish is good, they are at 100%. As the bass get bigger the RW drops, by the time you get to 15" they are around 80%.

If we can stay at 80% or better I'll consider it a success. You can catch quality 4-6lb bass, and a couple of 10+ are caught each year. Unfortunately I can't seem to break the 8lb mark.

William
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM