Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 774 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#395307 12/20/14 02:17 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I got to visit my retirement property back in Nov. Got a contractor lined up to build the pole barn while I was there. Its a 24'W X 30'L X 12'H built from rough cut, kiln dried 1"x10" pine, board & batten. That's all the budget would allow for now. A cement slab will come later. I bought some 3/4" insulation panels for the sides. Going with 5-6" of foam insulation to be blown onto the roof later on. Since I'm going for a rustic look, I'm thinking of spraying diesel on the untreated wood. That or a semi-transparent stain/sealant. Any suggestions?

DAY 1

DAY 3

Last edited by roadwarriorsvt; 12/20/14 02:22 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I love the wood siding look although it won't be no maintenence like metal siding. ( I speak from experience as I live in a log home.)

Never heard of spraying diesel on the wood. Interesting.

I have found going with a high quality coating on my log home saves me money in the long run. You will have to apply the cheaper coatings more often.

Will it be a major adjustment to retire in a temperate climate after living in Hawaii all those years? Will you miss Hawaii?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/20/14 06:29 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Never heard of spraying diesel on wood. It seems to me that the odor would somehow always be present on humid days. Am I wrong?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
RW, why diesel? What is it you want to accomplish? Letting the wood age in color? Diesel for a insect preventative?

I worked with a guy who used diesel (mixed with something else?) on his concrete forms so they released. I agree with Dave, whenever I have used it for experimenting in purposes like this, the fumes are longer lasting than the original purpose it was meant to do.

Cecil, what brand and formula do you use?

I would think spraying diesel would be frowned upon by your insurance guy if you are planning to insure the building.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
RW, why diesel? What is it you want to accomplish? Letting the wood age in color? Diesel for a insect preventative?

I worked with a guy who used diesel (mixed with something else?) on his concrete forms so they released. I agree with Dave, whenever I have used it for experimenting in purposes like this, the fumes are longer lasting than the original purpose it was meant to do.

My dad always used diesel and used motor oil on concrete forms. He used the same mix to settle dust in the hog barn and in the hog oilers.

[Linked Image]
RW,
Yes, diesel (as well as mixed with motor oil) is an old school remedy. But lve used that application only when the wood physically came in contact with the ground (or formation). I have some old wooden decks, used as bridges for crossing a creek. I applied the oil / diesel solution liberally before laying the bridges in place. Not a cure-all, but to slow down rot. Im not sure if I would apply to the walls of a building.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
R
OP Offline
R
@Cecil: I'll probably have to get used to the extreme summer humidity in the summer, but that doesn't last forever. I won't miss Hawaii at all. I'm a country boy that got stuck over here due to my career. People over here just aren't friendly like in small southern towns.

I had planned on using a good quality stain such as Sikkens or Cabot's. But since I'm going for that old rustic look, it was suggested by family and the contractor to consider using diesel. The diesel/motor oil combo was the widely accepted method, I guess mainly in the South since most on here have never heard of it. I'm thinking leave out the (used) motor oil since that would give it a darker appearance. My brother will spray a small section on the inside of the barn to show me how it looks since the inside will be covered with insulation anyways.

@DD1, you have my attention now with what seems like a valid concern with the odor.

@Cecil: I would also be interested to know what stain/sealant you've used and your results. I understand different stains can have different levels of success in different regions.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Roadwarriorsvt,

Interesting about the humidity. I would have thought Hawaii was humid too, but I guess not. I hear the cost of living is high in Hawaii though. What kind of career did you have? Military? Marines?

The following product is what I used on my last adventure after power washing. I say adventure as my log home is quite high. Used lots of ladders! Here we're just getting started on the back.

This particular product would not be the choice for new siding, but if their others products are half as good they are outstanding. Just used a deck version too.

http://www.sashco.com/products/transformation-log-stain/

I would recommend an electric sprayer for application. No other way to go in my honest opinion. Sure beats moving a compressor around!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/20/14 08:02 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

I may be making a big mistake, but I am going to try uncoated this time around on the new house. Decks I have had in the past were stained and it seemed like I had to stain it every couple years as some areas would be peeling or worn thru. The new house is rough cut cedar for the front porch and green treat for the deck. Anybody got experience with uncoated?

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/20/14 04:16 PM.

[Linked Image]
P
P
Down here unfinished will not last without stain/ finish.on cedar every few years it has to be redone. Same with treated pine . There is some good looking PVC deck mtl. Out there that will outlast treated. Bill if you use treated for deck put it close together cause it shrinks a lot

Pat W

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 12/20/14 04:53 PM.
Everything is already built. I have time to think about finishing. The cedar is a north exposure so sun won't be an issue but moisture might be. The green treat is a southern exposure so mositure won't be an issue but sun might.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

Cecil, what brand and formula do you use?

We used a mixture of diesel and motor oil on the precast forms also. Nasty.

Last edited by sprkplug; 12/20/14 05:41 PM. Reason: change "use" to "used"....that was years ago.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
OP Offline
R
Cecil, the USMC is what got me to HI. The weather and the women is what kept me here! LOL. Got out of the Marines and have been with the Honolulu PD for 23 years now. And yes, the cost of living is outrageous, but my retirement on that economy will go a lot further in middle GA.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good for you roadwarriorsvt! I having the highest respect for marines and police officers that put their lives on the line every day. Please stay safe until you retire!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Down here unfinished will not last without stain/ finish.on cedar every few years it has to be redone. Same with treated pine . There is some good looking PVC deck mtl. Out there that will outlast treated. Bill if you use treated for deck put it close together cause it shrinks a lot

Pat W

Makes sense to me.

Anybody ever hear about what happens to wood building materials in Central America? I once read where a church group down there built everything out of concrete blocks as insects literally devoured anything made of wood. Can you imagine?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/21/14 08:42 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, just be happy that we don't have the flying termites that they have in Southern California.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Another reason not to move to California. :-)

Nothing personal against anyone that lives there or likes California. Just doesn't sound like my cup of tea or climate.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/22/14 12:52 AM.

P
PO Offline
P
When I was looking for a pond builder back in 2002. I went to a guys place in Bloomington In. that used to build ponds. He had some of the best looking old barns I had ever seen, real nice light grey and the wood looked just few years old, no rot or decay. He told me they were like 60 to 70 years old. I was amazed at their shape. I had to ask what did you do to keep them so nice, and his answer was he and several of his old farm buddies would get together every few years and spray them with 50% kerosene and 50% used hydraulic fliud after mixing the two together. He said it sure did smell for awhile and you didn't smoke around them and never had bugs. Best looking old barns I'd ever seen. PO

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
PO,

I would wonder how much of that fuel ends up in the soil around the barn or are my concerns unfounded? Also I would wonder about the long term effects on the persons that applied it.

P
P
Cecil
Every rain some will leach into ground. I guess the question is how much can the dirt handle before it is toxic.
A lot will evaporate

Pat W

S
S
There are natural "bugs" that break down oil also. So as long as the amounts are not more than what natural forces can handle, I would think it would not be a problem. Not like spilling a thousand gallons in one spot or something.

Many, many years ago, we used to use used crankcase oil mixed with kerosene to kill lice on our sow hogs. Dad would treat them a couple times a year as a prevention.

Oil seeps from the ocean floor all the time. Natural forces take care of it. The problems arise when nature is overwhelmed by excessive amounts.

In my non expert opinion.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
snrub #395447 12/22/14 04:30 PM
P
P
Snrub

U hit it right on the head

Pat

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Cecil
Every rain some will leach into ground. I guess the question is how much can the dirt handle before it is toxic.
A lot will evaporate

Pat W

Makes sense. I do know of an aquifer in New England that is permenently contaminated by petroleum products. And dumping petroleum products on the ground can get you in some serious hotwater just about anywhere.

snrub #395454 12/22/14 05:37 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: snrub
There are natural "bugs" that break down oil also. So as long as the amounts are not more than what natural forces can handle, I would think it would not be a problem. Not like spilling a thousand gallons in one spot or something.

Many, many years ago, we used to use used crankcase oil mixed with kerosene to kill lice on our sow hogs. Dad would treat them a couple times a year as a prevention.

Oil seeps from the ocean floor all the time. Natural forces take care of it. The problems arise when nature is overwhelmed by excessive amounts.

In my non expert opinion.

Collecting old hog oilers is quite the passion for some folks I know..

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails