Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Were the above studies done on fish in complete confinement where their entire diet was dependent on the supplied feed?

I would surmise the more dependent the fish are on eating only commercial feed, the higher the requirement of proper quality feed would be compared to feed being used as a supplement where a lot of natural food source was available.

Would that be a fair statement to make?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: snrub
Were the above studies done on fish in complete confinement where their entire diet was dependent on the supplied feed?

I would surmise the more dependent the fish are on eating only commercial feed, the higher the requirement of proper quality feed would be compared to feed being used as a supplement where a lot of natural food source was available.

Would that be a fair statement to make?

Snrub,

You and I are still on the same page.

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
It would be extremely difficult to monitor and/or observe a fish' total diet in a more "natural" pond setting. Even more difficult long term since the most effective way to determine a natural diet is to either analyze fecal matter/urine, or cut it open and examine stomach/intestinal contents.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Another good way to obtain contents of fish stomachs is various methods or types of flushing.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1054&context=ncfwrustaff

Gastric lavage
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1054&context=ncfwrustaff

The lavage technique and diagram
http://www.nativefishlab.net/library/textpdf/13644.pdf

Foster, J. R. 1977. Pulsed gastric lavage: an efficient
method of removing the stomach contents of live
fish. Progressive Fish-Culturist 39:166–169.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/18/14 06:51 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Since this thread is about diet, I would like some thoughts on this scenario.

So you are at the river fishing next summer and you catch a few suckers, chubs, carp, etc. Is filleting out those "trash" fish, cutting them into pellet size chunks and feeding them to your pond fish a good idea or bad idea? Freeze those fish "pellets" for later use? Maybe dry them and hydrate them again before you use them as supplemental feed?

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Quote:
Is filleting out those "trash" fish, cutting them into pellet size chunks and feeding them to your pond fish a good idea or bad idea?

I see nothing basically wrong with doing this other than the extra effort that it requires to get the end product. Often fish are pellet trained by first using chopped fish or crushed krill (zooplankton) to get the fish used to eating sinking particles or chopped pieces of fish or sometimes other types of meat/fish. It might be more productive to instead of using outside the pond trash fish, use culled fish from the pond. Most all ponds need to have some fish removed to maintain the optimum balance of species for optimum growth based on one's goals. Some members here cull small BG, mildly inhibit their swimming ability, and hand feed them to the bass. Bass in the pond will quickly 'learn' the new feeding routine.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/23/15 11:30 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hey, with a little pond like mine, it's not work. It's just fun and trying different things! 100% natural supplemental food. I will try all the above and let you guys know how it works out.

I know this is an unpopular approach here, but my bass will be used to control population of other species only. They will be harvested 14+ and restock or recruitment will maintain their population. With that said, my original YP will be allowed to grow to a ripe old age.

And no the bass harvested will not meet hot grease. They will be steamed with exotic Thai spices that compliment their delicate flavor!

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/18/14 08:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Hey, with a little pond like mine, it's not work. It's just fun and trying different things! 100% natural supplemental food. I will try all the above and let you guys know how it works out.

I know this is an unpopular approach here, but my bass will be used to control population of other species only. They will be harvested 14+ and restock or recruitment will maintain their population. With that said, my original YP will be allowed to grow to a ripe old age.

And no the bass harvested will not meet hot grease. They will be steamed with exotic Thai spices that compliment their delicate flavor!

Oh I don't know about that...I wouldn't consider using LMB in a sacrificial role intended solely to benefit another species, a totally unpopular or unheard of idea! wink

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

\\

Oh I don't know about that...I wouldn't consider using LMB in a sacrificial role intended solely to benefit another species, a totally unpopular or unheard of idea! wink

If you are ever in my neighborhood my friend, please stop by for Thai style bass!...Assuming we catch one!

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/18/14 09:12 PM.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sounds tasty neighbor!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails