Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Originally Posted By: george1

This is the BEST advice I have ever seen posted on this forum!
I have failed repeatedly to make this point, but only Dave D. has the experience and wisdom to make this point - thanks Dave!
George Glazener

And all this experience and wisdom from a guy that likes GSF no less! grin grin grin

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Yep.

Sprkplug smiles, shakes head, and moves on.

You're a good man, Sparkie.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Jason007

My fish most certainly have more than they can eat. None of them have died. All they have done is grow. It's not like I have any way to cut off their feeding as Mr. Snrub has suggested. Now on the other hand, I can stop feeding high protein pellets, but that is in no way going to stop the fish from feeding on other critters that are also high in protein.

For fish to grow, they have to eat. And they will. Whether you stop feeding them or not......if they have a forage base, they ARE going to eat. Sure.....that does slow down given certain temperatures. But feeding tendencies do not.....and will not, stop.

Here's the other thing about digestion and metabolism.
Just because it gets cold, a fish does not lose its digestive abilities. The necessary bodily fluids are still there and they still break down consumed forage the exact same way. That is not what changes when the water gets cold. It doesn't change.

What changes is the fish become inactive as temperatures drop, burning far less calories due to inactivity. In turn it requires far less forage/calories to maintain its weight, or even add weight.

In short , if a fish is going to eat itself to death, and you have a forage base that allows for it. Then you can't stop it.

Everything in red italic is scientific fact. So lets debate these findings.

I see a lot of opining, conjecture, theorizing and hypothesis in red, but little "fact".

Fish are opportunistic and will eat when they can. When cold and the metabolism slows, they still eat, yet the feed is not digested, metabolized nor utilized the same. In a 2 year University of Arkansas study involving catfish, they discovered feeding weekly, or not feeding at all, when water temps drop below 55*, the fish lost the same amount of weight. Feeding daily however, even to water temps of 45*, fish did not lose weight (nor did they gain weight). It's unclear if the cost of daily feeding in cold water outweighs waiting till water warms, food conversion efficiency increases, and less feed is required to regain lost weight. It was noted more mortalities were discovered from visceral toxicosis of catfish (VTC), a rather tough disease to work through. Catfish can acquire it by eating dead fish in the pond. It was unclear if daily feeding had killed fish originally....

What I see, at best, from winter feeding is you get no gain in growth, but lose money from feed expenses, and can potentially create more problems than not feeding at all....

Guys,

Please drop it. As TJ put it so well, this site is to share information, opinions and most of all fellowship. Bottomline is it's your pond. Do what you feel is the right thing to do for you. Nobody is dictating to anyone what they have to do. To me, this site is a refuge where I can FINALLY converse with folks that share my passion. We don't have to agree. Any chance we can just keep it in that spirit?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman

My fish most certainly have more than they can eat. None of them have died. All they have done is grow. It's not like I have any way to cut off their feeding as Mr. Snrub has suggested. Now on the other hand, I can stop feeding high protein pellets, but that is in no way going to stop the fish from feeding on other critters that are also high in protein.

For fish to grow, they have to eat. And they will. Whether you stop feeding them or not......if they have a forage base, they ARE going to eat. Sure.....that does slow down given certain temperatures. But feeding tendencies do not.....and will not, stop.

Just because it gets cold, a fish does not lose its digestive abilities. The necessary bodily fluids are still there and they still break down consumed forage the exact same way. That is not what changes when the water gets cold. It doesn't change.

What changes is the fish become inactive as temperatures drop, burning far less calories due to inactivity. In turn it requires far less forage/calories to maintain its weight, or even add weight.

In short , if a fish is going to eat itself to death, and you have a forage base that allows for it. Then you can't stop it.

I see a lot of opining, conjecture, theorizing and hypothesis in red, but little "fact".

Fish are opportunistic and will eat when they can. When cold and the metabolism slows, they still eat, yet the feed is not digested, metabolized nor utilized the same. In a 2 year University of Arkansas study involving catfish, they discovered feeding weekly, or not feeding at all, when water temps drop below 55*, the fish lost the same amount of weight. Feeding daily however, even to water temps of 45*, fish did not lose weight (nor did they gain weight). It's unclear if the cost of daily feeding in cold water outweighs waiting till water warms, food conversion efficiency increases, and less feed is required to regain lost weight. It was noted more mortalities were discovered from visceral toxicosis of catfish (VTC), a rather tough disease to work through. Catfish can acquire it by eating dead fish in the pond. It was unclear if daily feeding had killed fish originally....

What I see, at best, from winter feeding is you get no gain in growth, but lose money from feed expenses, and can potentially create more problems than not feeding at all....

The facts are,,,,,,,go take a look at the photos I posted.
Those are the facts. Notice the growth from one bream ( which was at that time was a large bream for its age) posted 2 months ago, or less..........then look at the most recent.

Telling tale, is it not?

You are incorrect. When they eat , they put on weight.....especially when they eat when the metabolism slows and they are still packing it in.Why??? Because inactivity when they're not feeding, or as active , due to slower metabolism..cannot burn the calories as quickly. It's somewhat impossible. This is exactly why people get fat when they get older. The metabolism slows and the calories are still being packed in. Can we argue this?
I suppose I will have 7 month old wild fish, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, diabetes, and dare we say , " clogged arteries?

As far as Mortality.........ZERO. Nothing.
Wanna talk immune deficiency now, from the authority " garden web? In wild game fish?
It doesn't happen.

Perhaps you can scientifically explain to me, exactly how it is...."When cold and the metabolism slows, they still eat, yet the feed is not digested, as suggested,, metabolized nor utilized the same." Yet they continue to tear it up and eat and pack it in ON TOP of undigested food????????????? Which they are not......utilizing? In other words fish can eat.....pack on calories, but it's useless and does them no good.....instinctively.....to eat.....which is an essential requirement for every single animal on this planet.

That just makes absolutely no sense at all.
None.
Where did you copy this from?

No disrespect intended, but this MYTH of pellet feeding when Temps drop is total , unequivocal BS, conjured up from the internet. The fish will eat.........and yes.....they will utilize calories like every other animal on the face of this planet for 500 million years...or more. No matter what the situation. Period. Scientific FACT........if you will.

Like I said, I shall prove this .....Glorified fantasy.......incorrect.

Then afterwards......

D
D
Most likely get moderated is my guess... smile

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/internatio...0the%20Fish.pdf
Mentions some things about temperature

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=156
Mentions multiple things about temperature

http://ucanr.org/sites/csnce/files/57547.pdf
More things on temperature in relation to pond managed trout.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/fish511/Readings/temp%20Size%20growth%20atl%20salmon.pdf
Feeding to Temperature covered here as well.

Whale Sharks says OM NOM NOM NOM! FEED ME!

P.S. Whale Sharks = Really Neat

J
J
Originally Posted By: Diver Cody
Most likely get moderated is my guess... smile

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/internatio...0the%20Fish.pdf
Mentions some things about temperature

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=156
Mentions multiple things about temperature

http://ucanr.org/sites/csnce/files/57547.pdf
More things on temperature in relation to pond managed trout.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/fish511/Readings/temp%20Size%20growth%20atl%20salmon.pdf
Feeding to Temperature covered here as well.

Whale Sharks says OM NOM NOM NOM! FEED ME!

P.S. Whale Sharks = Really Neat

D
D
Okay so maybe the foster and smith link was a bad idea the other ones are from universities and other credible sources. They also talk about other fish species and the relationship between temperature and feeding patterns.

Any ways taking sprkplug's lead on this one.

FishFan Offline OP
OP Offline
I didn't intend to create a monster with this thread. As far as the cold water thing goes my fish haven't even came to the top to attempt to eat pellets in low 40 degree water temps. I didn't expect them to be interested. Let's try to keep the debate civil.

J
J
Originally Posted By: FishFan
I didn't intend to create a monster with this thread. As far as the cold water thing goes my fish haven't even came to the top to attempt to eat pellets in low 40 degree water temps. I didn't expect them to be interested. Let's try to keep the debate civil.

That's the entire point. There will come a point where the fish won't take the pellets.........and that time frame will occur well before the fish commit suicide, by death of pellet.

That's the entire point. There will come a point where the fish won't take the pellets.........and that time frame will occur well before the fish commit suicide, by death of pellet.

Maybe not for you Jason. Based on this info, you may never have water temps below 50. You live in one of the warmest states. What's your water temperature now?

Attached Images
Winter Temperatures.jpg

[Linked Image]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Rainman

The facts are,,,,,,,go take a look at the photos I posted.
Those are the facts. Notice the growth from one bream ( which was at that time was a large bream for its age) posted 2 months ago, or less..........then look at the most recent.

Telling tale, is it not?

You are incorrect. When they eat , they put on weight.....especially when they eat when the metabolism slows and they are still packing it in.Why??? Because inactivity when they're not feeding, or as active , due to slower metabolism..cannot burn the calories as quickly. It's somewhat impossible. This is exactly why people get fat when they get older. The metabolism slows and the calories are still being packed in. Can we argue this?
I suppose I will have 7 month old wild fish, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, diabetes, and dare we say , " clogged arteries?

As far as Mortality.........ZERO. Nothing.
Wanna talk immune deficiency now, from the authority " garden web? In wild game fish?
It doesn't happen.

Which they are not......utilizing? In other words fish can eat.....pack on calories, but it's useless and does them no good.....instinctively.....to eat.....which is an essential requirement for every single animal on this planet.

That just makes absolutely no sense at all.
None.
Where did you copy this from?

No disrespect intended, but this MYTH of pellet feeding when Temps drop is total , unequivocal BS, conjured up from the internet. The fish will eat.........and yes.....they will utilize calories like every other animal on the face of this planet for 500 million years...or more. No matter what the situation. Period. Scientific FACT........if you will.

Like I said, I shall prove this .....Glorified fantasy.......incorrect.

Then afterwards......

Wow! Why is it only one person has mentioned "garden web" (which I have never seen, btw) and "fish dying" from eating pellets while screaming like they are passing a bowling ball sized kidney stone?!?!?

Jason, you asked me a question about how digestion and nutrient uptake changes when it is cold, and I will attempt to answer that, in layman's terms. Whether you can accept it or not is your choice, yet it does nothing to change the answer's validity.

The fish being originally referred to in this thread, such as Bass and bluegill, have a metabolic change when water temperatures reach ~50*. The nutrients normally absorbed from the digestive tract that would go into flesh such as muscle is reduced and instead, nutrients to create high energy lipids (fats) are primarily absorbed. NOT for growth, but for winter survival. You also asked me to "Perhaps you can scientifically explain to me, exactly how it is...."When cold and the metabolism slows, they still eat, yet the feed is not digested, as suggested,, metabolized nor utilized the same. Yet they continue to tear it up and eat and pack it in ON TOP of undigested food?????????????".....I answered how the digestive portion changes, and how metabolized....as for the rest of the "scientific answer" on what goes undigested after "tearing up the feed"...? Since you appear to be an expert on analyzing BS, perhaps you can gather samples of FS to be analyzed as many scientists have done. Your studies will discover a large majority of consumed pellets simply pass through the fish undigested at all. Perhaps the repeated analysis will quell your scientific thirst to bust mythology.

It has also been observed personally, by me, and related here by others, that undigested, unhydrated pelleted feed consumed in cold water, HAS caused blockages in in the intestines of fish, which ended in death.

Last edited by Rainman; 12/14/14 01:04 PM.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Jason, why don't you pack up your "facts", "know-it-all attitude" and disrespectful & condesending persona, and go play somewhere else...

Just do it...
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

You didn't create a monster, FishFan. You asked a great question!

T
T
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Engaging in meaningful discourse and debating concepts and theories is one of the reasons I'm here, for expand my education, and I know Bob and Mike [owners of Pond Boss] encourage it. However, I expect everyone to remain respectful regardless of the position they may adopt and not post recklessly. Bear in mind Sparkplug, Dave, Esshup and George have many many seasons of practical, hands on, scientific experience. These guys are my brothers, and I owe them all a debt of gratitude - please be respectful when alluding to them in a post. It's just how we do things here - aspire to a higher standard and you'll be treated accordingly. Seems fair to me.

The newer guy deserves no less respect than the guy who's been here forever. That said, I haven't seen any real disrespect in this thread, only some subtle digs used in passionate debate. I think everyone should quit defending their friends and work on defending their theoretical/scientific positions. Every time I see anyone with a "new idea" on ANY forum the traditionalists always start feigning shock and awe on being disrespected, threaten moderation, beg to end the thread.

Come on folks, put your big boy pants on and simply debate the topic and quit with all this sissy crap about being disrespectful, I've not seen anything nearing that except MAYBE on the traditionalist side of this topic.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
While I'm rather well known for my sissy crap, I've never had it quoted before. I've finally arrived?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
T
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
While I'm rather well known for my sissy crap, I've never had it quoted before. I feel I've arrived at long last.

LMAO! Yes Sir, you and quite a few of us on this thread have arrived. Well done on the parlay smile

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I agree Tim. I'm not sure anything in this thread could be construed as being a "traditionalist" or not. It has been claimed that fish at a lower temperature continue to digest food and uptake nutrient the same as they do in warm water, yet in the same sentence, that is contradicted by saying "Sure, the metabolism slows".

The enzymes, bacteria and digestive fluids needed to digest and utilize proteins, fats and micro-nutrients that are present in a given fish' digestive tract in waters over 50 degrees are simply not present in lower temperatures....that is not a traditional theory, it is an accepted and well established fact. Just because a fish eats food in cold water, in no way means it is digested and/or absorbed by that fish like it is in warmer water. Along with digestive juices and enzymes, bacteria also break down foods in the digestive tract...many of these essential bacteria can not and DO not live or function in the cooler temperatures. I believe some of what is being called "myth" is a simple misunderstanding of the digestive differences between fish that are cold-blooded species being mixed with the digestive processes of warm-blooded species.

If cold weather feeding helped fish grow, every commercial fish farm, every feed producer in the world, every professional pond manager, and most pondmeisters wanting big fish would jump all over it.

It is not myth, nor tradition, that causes fish farmers to stop feeding. It is not myth that causes commercial fish feed producers to suggest NOT feeding in cold waters...it would be against their best interests to do that. It is the fact that it less profitable, and often problematic, to feed many fish in cold waters.

Last edited by Rainman; 12/14/14 02:53 PM.

Guys,

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anything that states what Jason's water temperature actually is. The closest I can find in the thread is “The temp went down to 40 degrees last night. But I really don't know what my water temp is.” I could be wrong but I wouldn’t think a few cool nights is going to bring that water temp down that much. Can you even have a pond with sustained water temps less than 50 degrees in Louisiana? It may be Jason's pond is at say 58 which would explain a whole lot.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/14/14 03:21 PM.

[Linked Image]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Bill, the question was asked, but never answered. CNBG need even warmer water than straight, northern bluegill. Even the intergrade crosses of BG and CNBG often found in Arkansas fish farms frequently die if the ponds just get ice glazed in the winter. Since southern fish farms also stop feeding CNBG in the milder winters, I am sure the CNBG metabolism slows at a higher temperature than BG, since CNBG are less cold tolerant.

Not only are the ponds in different climate regions very different, the species used often are as well.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Guys,

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anything that states what Jason's water temperature actually is. The closest I can find in the thread is “The temp went down to 40 degrees last night. But I really don't know what my water temp is.” I could be wrong but I wouldn’t think a few cool nights is going to bring that water temp down that much. Can you even have a pond with sustained water temps less than 50 degrees in Louisiana? It may be Jason's pond is at say 58 which would explain a whole lot.

True that, we need some data on his water before any experiment he runs on his pond would even achieve any validity. All I've heard so far is conjecture and dry lab type innuendo.

FishFan Offline OP
OP Offline
The water in one of my ponds was 42 degrees today. I didn't attempt to feed and if I did I seriously doubt they would bother coming up to eat.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jason, not sure where you are coming from or where you got your knowledge other that a tomato and squash website (Garden Web) that I just now looked at.

You responded to my post about regional differences with a discourse on your opinions re fish feeding. My post wasn't even about that.

Please keep it civil.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Any more of that sissy talk and you're destined to join me at the kiddie table. Good news though, I've a full flask and we can watch football on my phone while the pros at the big table duke it out. Come on, you've endured worse company than myself, admit it.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
J
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Jason, why don't you pack up your "facts", "know-it-all attitude" and disrespectful & condesending persona, and go play somewhere else...

Everyone wants to keep it civil, which I think I have done.....Meanwhile......there's one of every single forum on the internet, isn't there? It's always the consummate clique bonding suck up, Ready to ask people to leave the site. Which has caused more uproar on forums than one might imagine in many lifetimes. Reply to the suck up and 10 people come galloping in with ropes and pitchforks to show their loyalty.

Also I noticed there's a lot of "Internet friend" brew-ha-ha going on in here. It never fails on the Internet does it? " Oh he is my internet friend and I will take his side and defend, and you can leave!"

Dude, what I want to say to you right now, I'd probably get kicked off the forum......so I'm gonna bite my ....my umm.....typing fingers. I will say this...not meaning any disrespect....but I have seen you before. The name is different and the face has changed....but you're the same.

Anyway, the water temp is 53 degrees in my pond. In response to whomever wanted to know.
My fish are growing.....they're not dying. Even if water temp was 30 degrees they still wouldn't be dying.......but they probably wouldn't be eating pellets either. See the thing is....at some point, the fish will stop taking pellets, and everything else. That point will come , long before a fish eats itself to death. Which is ridiculous to even suggest a fish will do such a thing.

Has anyone here had a fish kill because they fed their fish pellets during winter? Any of you? Seriously?? Any of you?
But all of a sudden, everyone wants to be the expert on what will happen. Never even tried it.....but already know the outcome and warn others not to do it.

Talk about condescending.......Jesus. Let me ask you guys something. At the end of this because, I intend to feed my fish through the winter......until they don't take pellets any longer. Will you be willing to come back to this thread....after all that has transpired ......and admit you were wrong??
Because in my case....maybe not everyones case( because they are afraid to try it) , but in MY case, that's what's going to happen.

Will you still want me kicked from the forum , even after this?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy