Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, if you really wanted the salmon, I bet you could collect your own eggs from the St. Joe River via fishing. You talking Chinook or something else?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Happy Birthday, Cecil!!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, if you really wanted the salmon, I bet you could collect your own eggs from the St. Joe River via fishing. You talking Chinook or something else?

Chinook won't work, but Coho will. Possibly some Steelhead, but ya can't toss any of these in a 300 gallon system that's not prepared to operate at the colder temps.

Be cautious about collecting eggs and milt from State waters. Up here it's a No-No, and your diet could abruptly change to raw bologna on stale white bread. Make sure your loved ones send you plenty of soap on a rope wink

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Cecil,

Happy Birthday!!

And thanks for the airlift intro, it is working great!!

Fantastic!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

No, landlocked salmon. Salmo salar. A big deal in the northeast. I once almost bought some from Purdue University to plant into the trout pond, but the Indiana DNR said no to the sale. They had legitimate concerns about the remote potential that they could have ISA (Infectious Salmon Anemia) and didn't want to risk it's introduction into the watershed that feeds Lake Michigan. (I don't believe ISA has shown up in the Great Lakes yet, or at least at that time.)

Chinooks along with coho are raised for the table in some Canadian partial recirculating systems, but they are so easy for taxidermists in the Great Lakes states to obtain via angling, it's not a species that would be worth the effort. Even with my 4000 gallon cold water tanks it wouldn't be cost effective and the chinooks would have to get up to at least 30 pounds to be of any interest to taxidermists. I'd rather use my resources to produce harder to obtain species that I can get premuim prices for. And the cost to ship 20 pound Plus 35 inch plus frozen fish would severely limit sales.

Additionally It would be a big risk taking eggs from wild fish even if it is legal, especially from The Great Lakes. Salmonids in the Great Lakes have tested positive for VHS and IPN and furunculosis among other things. All the Great Lakes states DNR's have knowingly planted disease positive salmonids, including Indiana's DNR which planted IPN positive steelhead one year because the fish weren't dying and they didn't want to destroy the fish. A classic example of a conflict of interest when the entity that is in charge of enforcing disease protocols also raises and plants fish. Disease protocol enforcement should be entirely under the the Indiana Board of Amimal Health. This would not have been an option for a private producer.

The eggs I would use would be purchased from a disease free certified commercial source and shipped overnight Fed Ex in insulated iced boxes.

Here are two sources:

http://www.coldspringstroutfarm.com/

http://www.troutlodge.com/

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/06/14 03:59 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
CB1 sick with your brookies which are fantastic fish after you are done raising them. Large brook trout like you raise are rare fish and beautiful specimens.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/06/14 07:18 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I will but I'd like to offer more species as at some point I will saturate the market wirh brook trout.

Big bluegill over a pound and yellow perch over 2 pounds sell well too. My record is four minutes from posting on a website to money in Pay Pal.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I will but I'd like to offer more species as at some point I will saturate the market wirh brook trout.

Big bluegill over a pound and yellow perch over 2 pounds sell well too. My record is four minutes from posting on a website to money in Pay Pal.

Have not seen BH on the market.....Opportunity knocking Cecil! grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Have not seen BH on the market.....Opportunity knocking Cecil! grin

Bullhead? grin Most taxidermist won't even mount them and catfish.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, I've caught steelhead out of the St. Joe River that when landed started squirting eggs and or milt, depending on the sex of the fish. Since I'm keeping the fish, I don't see how keeping the eggs/milt would be illegal since it's in the fish that I'm keeping.

But, I see Cecil's point. Raise something that isn't easy to get and it will command a higher price.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Happy belated birthday, Cecil!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks Rex!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images