Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Snipe, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod), 1,045 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Not sure how the potential DNA testing will be of a benefit, but who knows??

Well a couple of ways.
First of all if they are a pure strain of Florida bass, it is highly unlikely that they were bucket stocked or brought by a bird.

Also if they are a pure strain of Florida bass, I am not concerned about getting them all out. I will just need to get them under control and try to get my forage jump started.

C
C
Is there way OMC could age the fish using otolith, or get a picture for others to date it? Would that help in any way?

This may be a good time to renew my former interest in a wifi nightvision security camera for my pond. If OMC had one he could go back and review footage smile Sad that we have to consider pond security as part of managing a private pond, but I feel his pain with the size of his BOW and the cost of electroshocking, or starting over.

Quick question guys. I was under the impression, not sure why, that Florida LMB is pretty much the only LMB stocked way down south. Is there another strain commonly stocked?

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/11/14 04:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If the LMB (or some of them) turn out to be pure FL strain, I'm still not sure what that tells you. There are many places that sell pure FL strain bass, or claim to sell pure FL strain bass, so a FL bass can occur anywhere, truly.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you should not do some DNA testing. I'm just not sure the effort will clear up what happened.

I do see what you are saying about keeping some of the bass if they turn out to be some kind of desirable strain.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: Sunil
If the LMB (or some of them) turn out to be pure FL strain, I'm still not sure what that tells you. There are many places that sell pure FL strain bass, or claim to sell pure FL strain bass, so a FL bass can occur anywhere, truly.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you should not do some DNA testing. I'm just not sure the effort will clear up what happened.

I do see what you are saying about keeping some of the bass if they turn out to be some kind of desirable strain.

Well if they are pure Florida, then I would think that the likelihood that they were bucket stocked would be much slimmer, since, I would think, anything coming from a lake would not be PURE Florida.

But the main thing that it would tell me is that I would not need to be concerned about removing all of the fish via rotenone. I could just work with what I have instead of starting over.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Didn't someone else say that Texas stocked pure FL strains? Perhaps Louisiana does also?

With a 5 acre pond, I would not want to start over, so I see what you are saying.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I thought Texas only used pure Florida Strain LMB for their Share Lunker program? Once a fish is submitted, it is DNA tested before it enters the program?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
OMC -

What are you doing to prevent future repeats of whatever has happened to your pond?

Which brings the question - did / do you not have surveillance on your property? If you didn't for the period in question, or you don't have the footage for the period in question, perhaps consider installing equipment pretty quick.

From what you've described, you most likely will want a near real time solution that sends the data to your mobile device as soon as the file is written. In case you happen to be home when the next event occurs and you can head them off at the pass if you will. Before they dump their fish into your pond from their bucket.

You might also consider posting signs indicating your private pond is not for use and research is being conducted so please do not introduce any fish, amphibians, or mammals to your pond. Sometimes signs work.

T
T
I am close to you and if I could help with your dilemma I would. Here are some things that come to mind. Flordia's are and have been in our area for at least 15 yr's based on my fishing. And Native Bass are also in our area, based on my fishing. And I am pretty sure a hybrid ( Mixed bloodlines of these bass ) have been (in the majority) of the biggest bass caught in Texas. If you take Lake Fork as an example, of the top 5 big bass caught in the lake, 4 were Hybrids and only 1 was a pure Florida. So does that mean anything? It tells me that, a very large LMB can be of mixed blood. And maybe you could say the Hybrid bites more and is easier to catch.
I hope it all works out for you. Life is good.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I am close to you and if I could help with your dilemma I would. Here are some things that come to mind. Flordia's are and have been in our area for at least 15 yr's based on my fishing. And Native Bass are also in our area, based on my fishing. And I am pretty sure a hybrid ( Mixed bloodlines of these bass ) have been (in the majority) of the biggest bass caught in Texas. If you take Lake Fork as an example, of the top 5 big bass caught in the lake, 4 were Hybrids and only 1 was a pure Florida. So does that mean anything? It tells me that, a very large LMB can be of mixed blood. And maybe you could say the Hybrid bites more and is easier to catch.
I hope it all works out for you. Life is good.

Thanks for the offer and the info.
I have a lead on getting these fish DNA tested. If it works out where I can get them tested and these fish turn out to be Florida, then I will just manage what I have. If they are not Florida, I think that I will probably just catch all that I can out and then stock adult pure Florida Bass.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think that's a pretty good plan. For a pond your size, I'd consider getting a shock boat in there this Spring, before they spawn. No matter what the DNA testing shows.

Since they hammered your forage base already, I don't think angling will remove enough of them to let your forage base rebound quickly. If a lot aren't removed, even stocking more forage will just be stocking food for the bass, and a lot of your newly stocked fish won't survive to spawn.

Even e-shocking won't remove all of them, but if done at the correct time of the year, you should be able to remove the majority of them, allowing you to continue with your goals for the pond.

Angling just removes the LMB that will bite, leaving the hook smart fish in the pond. The e-shock boat doesn't give the LMB that choice. If they are within the electric current field, they are stunned and can be netted out of the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I don't know this whole deal is weird?? 3 pound LMB in 6 to 7 months we know that did not happen.

There is no other ponds around for miles.

Your fence is 100 feet off the road with 3 dogs and barbwire on the back side near your neighbors...

You did not put them in there, and someone is almost always home?

Makes no since to me??? I have a King Fisher he is very active but I have never seen him take any fish out of my pond over 5 or 6 inches. Heck most 2 pound bass are bigger than the King Fisher.

I don't know OMC. I know it's to late now but maybe you should put up a couple of deer cameras around your pond on Video mode see what shows up?? Good Luck buddy. Keep us posted.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: esshup

Even e-shocking won't remove all of them, but if done at the correct time of the year, you should be able to remove the majority of them, allowing you to continue with your goals for the pond.

Angling just removes the LMB that will bite, leaving the hook smart fish in the pond. The e-shock boat doesn't give the LMB that choice. If they are within the electric current field, they are stunned and can be netted out of the pond.

I am probably going to get hammered for this and most won't agree, but experienced anglers, with the right weather in the spring and several days CAN catch the vast majority out of a pond.

Two years ago a buddy of mine was draining a two acre pond and in a couple of nice days in April we fished it hard, removing everything we caught and when he drained it there were five adult bass left.

B
B
I installed surveillance equipment around our property and our pond. Mostly game made the footage, but there was one couple who came, partied, got naked, did their thing, and then left. And they left behind some trash (including used condom). I printed out some photos, posted down by the pond site where they were, and later footage show they returned weeks later, saw their pics and read my message, looked up and around and waved, got their stuff and left. Haven't returned since.

Obviously your pond is close to your home so ya aren't likely to have lovers enjoying your pond, but you might catch dumping of fish.

O
OP Offline
O

Since they hammered your forage base already, I don't think angling will remove enough of them to let your forage base rebound quickly. If a lot aren't removed, even stocking more forage will just be stocking food for the bass, and a lot of your newly stocked fish won't survive to spawn.

I don't really want any down time here if I can help it and I don't mind spending some money, though there is a point where I would be better off just killing everything off and starting over.
With this is mind is there any way to catch up with my forage without taking the vast majority of the bass out?
Can I stock enough smaller bream or a combination of smaller bream and ______ to catch up?

I do think that I have a good population of 6" plus CNMB, just no smaller ones.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Caddo has had Flas stocked many times if that matters. You could seine part and set up blocking nets and grow some forage out or use any number of other options to get LMB out and forage up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: one more cast
I don't really want any down time here if I can help it and I don't mind spending some money, though there is a point where I would be better off just killing everything off and starting over.
With this is mind is there any way to catch up with my forage without taking the vast majority of the bass out?
Can I stock enough smaller bream or a combination of smaller bream and ______ to catch up?

I do think that I have a good population of 6" plus CNBG, just no smaller ones.

While I agree that good anglers can put a hurt on fish in a smaller pond, but your pond is 2.5 times the size of the 2 ac pond that you and your buddy fished. Plus there's the aspect of taking out the most agressive biting LMB, leaving the smarter/less apt to bite fish to pass on their genes.

If it was my pond and I had the same goals as you do for the pond, I'd opt for the e-shock route.

As for forage fish, it all comes down to two things. Dollars and cents, and the carrying capacity of the pond.

Since this happened, you no longer have any idea of how many LMB are in the pond and what size they are. Yes, you caught roughly 100 cookie cutter LMB so the assumption could be that they are all the same size with the exception of a pair or two of larger fish. But, the bigger question is how many of them are still in the pond?

For a trophy LMB pond, the ratio is 20 to 30 BG/CNBG per LMB. That's for the stocker fish, not the offspring that they will be eating. So, yes, theoretically you can stock enough forage fish if your pocketbook was deep enough to afford stocking adult BG/CNBG AND you knew how many LMB were left in the pond to get the correct ratio. Remember, you want to stock BG/CNBG larger than what the LMB can eat or you are back to square one.

Rough rule of thumb, 10# of fish will put one pound of weight on one LMB.

Another guideline is to remove approximately 30# of LMB per surface acre in a LMB stunted pond per year (more if possible) to get the pond turned around as fast as possible with regards to the predator/forage fish base.

But, in your pond, the 800# gorilla in the pond is the number of LMB that are left in there. You know that there were enough to stunt in one year with the amount of forage fish that were in there.

Lets say you only had one female LMB pull off a spawn. A single female LMB, depending on maturity can lay between 2,000 and 94,000+ eggs. (Moyle
1976) So, how many made it to the size that you are catching?

That's why I'm recommending e-shocking the pond in early spring before the LMB spawn because the ones in the pond now are large enough to spawn too. So not only could you have the original pair spawn, you could possibly have 100's more spawning too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: one more cast

I do think that I have a good population of 6" plus CNBG, just no smaller ones.

While I agree that good anglers can put a hurt on fish in a smaller pond, but your pond is 2.5 times the size of the 2 ac pond that you and your buddy fished. Plus there's the aspect of taking out the most agressive biting LMB, leaving the smarter/less apt to bite fish to pass on their genes.

If it was my pond and I had the same goals as you do for the pond, I'd opt for the e-shock route.

As for forage fish, it all comes down to two things. Dollars and cents, and the carrying capacity of the pond.

Since this happened, you no longer have any idea of how many LMB are in the pond and what size they are. Yes, you caught roughly 100 cookie cutter LMB so the assumption could be that they are all the same size with the exception of a pair or two of larger fish. But, the bigger question is how many of them are still in the pond?

For a trophy LMB pond, the ratio is 20 to 30 BG/CNBG per LMB. That's for the stocker fish, not the offspring that they will be eating. So, yes, theoretically you can stock enough forage fish if your pocketbook was deep enough to afford stocking adult BG/CNBG AND you knew how many LMB were left in the pond to get the correct ratio. Remember, you want to stock BG/CNBG larger than what the LMB can eat or you are back to square one.

Rough rule of thumb, 10# of fish will put one pound of weight on one LMB.

Another guideline is to remove approximately 30# of LMB per surface acre in a LMB stunted pond per year (more if possible) to get the pond turned around as fast as possible with regards to the predator/forage fish base.

But, in your pond, the 800# gorilla in the pond is the number of LMB that are left in there. You know that there were enough to stunt in one year with the amount of forage fish that were in there.

Lets say you only had one female LMB pull off a spawn. A single female LMB, depending on maturity can lay between 2,000 and 94,000+ eggs. (Moyle
1976) So, how many made it to the size that you are catching?

That's why I'm recommending e-shocking the pond in early spring before the LMB spawn because the ones in the pond now are large enough to spawn too. So not only could you have the original pair spawn, you could possibly have 100's more spawning too.

Thanks for your response.
I understand your thinking and I have not made a definite decision yet.
I was planning to have it shock initially until I talked to some people about it and most said that I would need to wait until the spring and then the best case they thought the most they could shock up would be 70%. I may be wrong, but I think with heavy fishing pressure, some buddies and eventually going to live bait, I can do considerably better than 70%.

We have not weighed every fish, but we feel confident that we have now removed 150 plus pounds of fish (30lbs per acre) from the pond and will continue to remove more.

I have also considered building a small, 1/4-1/3 acre pond next to this pond, taking out as many of my current CNBG and RESF as possible, putting them in the small pond and then rotenone my five acre pond.

I was told even with that option I should wait until the spring, so whatever I do it doesn't seem as though I need to get in a hurry.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
What a shame with a 5 acre pond. A 5 acre pond to me if managed right would be the ultimate... I am sorry OMC. In the mean time tho I would have fun fishing... and look at the positive side of it as much as you can.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Basslover, great, great story.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
X-rated story at that!!

Another newbie question from up North.

So say by whatever means, OMC reduces the LMB population down to the numbers he wants. How does he keep it that way? Won't a few spawning LMB in the spring of any LMB he puts in create the over population problem again? Is there, or will there be, some other fish in the pond that will be holding down the number of recruits? I guess this question really applies to just about any pond with LMB as the top predator.

[Linked Image]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Given that he does nothing, the new offspring will most likely be eaten. They become the forage base for hungry mouths.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Dave,

Sorry to be a little thick here but want to make sure I got it right. So those "hungry mouths" are the existing larger LMB?

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In my pond, I'm targeting every male LMB that I can ID (by fishing for them while they are guarding their nests) and removing every LMB that is not feed trained. I tagged the feed trained ones that I stocked in 2010. That's how I think I can keep the WR numbers of the LMB up and not have them overeat the forage base.

In my pond, having the water level drop every year due to a groundwater based pond, puts the forage fish at a huge disadvantage. The water levels drop past where most of the cover is for them to hide in, so the LMB have a field day.

In a regular LMB pond, if 20# of LMB or more per surface acre isn't removed annually (of all sized fish) then there's a good chance that they will become stunted. Depending on your goals, that may be a good thing (if you are managing for large BG) or a bad thing (if you want a balanced fishery, or a trophy LMB pond).

Your best tool for managing LMB (or any fish species in the pond for that matter) is a good digital scale, a ruler or tape measure, a logbook and a relative weight chart. Weigh, measure and record every fish that you can. You will soon see trends start to ebb and flow, and those trends will tell you what your next step is management wise to keep on track to meet your goals.

OMC - Yes, you have time. If you do decide to drain and rotenone, I think having that small pond to put the fish you want to keep to restock is a great idea. You can push the limits on carrying capacity by having an aerator and/or a surface agitator in the pond to keep the O2 levels up, even with a high fish density.

Plus, after the drain/rotenone/restock is completed, you can use that pond for a forage pond, or for some different species that you don't have in the large pond. Say CC for fish fries during warmer months, and RBT for the cooler months.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward