Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,944
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
4 members (KenHorton, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod, Chris Steelman), 1,111 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think that most agree it was probably a high water event, or more likely a bucket that provided those unwanted fish. Me included, as I stated earlier in the thread. But having an open mind to the possibilities, ALL possibilities, is in keeping with being thorough.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
OK, as mentioned earlier – the genie is out of the bottle – majority opinion is bucket stocking.
It will be interesting to see the the plan that OMC pursues in order to correct the problem.
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

O
OP Offline
O
Well I don't know how the fish in the first picture got in there, but this does explain some things. This fish is 18" long and about three pounds.
The fish in the first picture is next to a size 13 boot and the fish in the second picture is next to a size 9.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh well there you go then That 3 pounder has been in there for a while!! I bet the bank you got some more in there!! So yeah someone or something ducks/ cranes? helped you stock your pond at some point!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
P
P
OMC

I agree with bucket stocking , the 3lber spawned and you added a lot of forage at the right time for max growth for the new fingerlings. Now you are seeing them running out ou forage for the number that were in the pond, that's why they appear to be thinning now.. Food requirment as they grow overwhelmed your spawn of CNBG or eating a lot of your brood stock depending on what size you put in this spring.
That's my thinking at this point from what I am reading.

Pat W

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
And there it is! The 'why' is explained, the 'how' most likely known, and the 'who' remains unanswered.

OMC,
That 3lb'ers looking pretty healthy. I know its a least concern to you right now but, any idea what the WR was on that LMB?

...when in doubt...set the hook...
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: stickem'
OMC,
That 3lb'ers looking pretty healthy. I know its a least concern to you right now but, any idea what the WR was on that LMB?

I don't, but it is was a very healthy, thick fish.

Any body besides me notice he said "WAS" very healthy?

OMC,

So did you fillet all those bass?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Any body besides me notice he said "WAS" very healthy?

OMC,

So did you fillet all those bass?

No I didn't fillet those bass, but I am certainly not above it.
All of these bass so far have gone into a buddies pond.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Todd, eagerly awaiting.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'll bet there are a couple bigger than that one, in there also.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
George those are 2 good comparisons, but like TGW said above if your stocking 50bls of FH's you not looking at them. At least not all of them. Lets just say there are 200 FH's in one pound. That's 10,000 FHM's. Well 1 percent of all them FHM's is 100. So lets say 100 of them were LMB somehow. If your dumping in FHM's by the 1000 into your pond at dark thirty, you could very well miss 100. Not saying that's what happened. Just saying you could guess all day long. If you shock the place and you don't find any bigger LMB then what you have. Then you got to believe they all got in there at or around the same time frame somehow???? Just saying.

RC

RC, the last time I stocked 50# of FHM in a clients SMB/RES/YP/GSH pond you better believe I looked at every one!!

The more fish you see, the faster you can sort. The odd looking fish just stands out like a sore thumb. Like the tiny tail of a stickleback compared to the tail of a FHM. You notice something amiss in the net and take a much closer look.

That's why dumping them into a container from the truck, then into the pond is a good idea if you are sorting. If you "whups", just dump the container back into the tank and re-sort.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Scott, why did you check all those FHM?

T
T
Looks to me someone stocked your lake from their stringer of fish taken out of Caddo. I would look for someone who had a good day fishing on the lake and decided he did not want to clean them for eating, so your pond was there for an easier way out. Or he had fished your lake and thought he would help you out. So now I am hoping to see what solution you and the Overton's come up with. How do you get from where you are, to where you want to be? The bass are Florida strain from what OMC said and Florida is what the TWPD stocked in Caddo. I wonder if the Caddo bass came from the Texas lunker program ? Taken from the Trophy fish taken out of Texas lunker program. I think those fish are Hybrids.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
The one thing that we all keep overlooking here is. OMC said they home school their kids, their pond is right in the back yard and it's locked up. I mean sorry but I would not be that determined to get my fish in a guys pond and maybe get shot at in the process if it was all locked up tight?? What did they do come in the middle of the night and dump them in..... That part to me makes no since. OMC do you have ducks? Geese? Maybe they brought them in a couple of years ago???

Sorry guys, I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around how hard it would / dangerous it would be for someone to attempt this?? But maybe it's possible. The one thing I did not see I guess is how far the fence was from the pond? Maybe someone could have thrown them in?? If the fence is close enough.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 12/10/14 12:12 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sooo what is the plan now? 5 acre pond full of bass. You will never catch them all. And if you have 18 inch bass your gonna need 6 to 8 inch BG to help spawn... Ugghh what a mess. Let us know what you do OMC when you can.

RC

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I believe OMC said that while his property was gated, his pond was not that secure. Also, we all may need to go to the post office, buy groceries, go to church on Sunday, go shopping for a day, take the kids on a field trip somewhere......

I work from home six days a week during the busy season. But there are still times when no one is here.

P
P
When ONC caught that nice fat 3 lb one that pretty much told the story that someone dumped it and a mate or two in the pond. That's why it was fat from eating his BG that he had first stocked. The smaller ones were fat until the prey was eaten up. The bluegills are also growing to a point where only the parent bass can eat them(it was fat). The young basslings now are 9" or so and are running out of grub to sustain them

That's my take on the story

Pat W

O
OP Offline
O
The one thing that we all keep overlooking here is. OMC said they home school their kids, their pond is right in the back yard and it's locked up. I mean sorry but I would not be that determined to get my fish in a guys pond and maybe get shot at in the process if it was all locked up tight?? What did they do come in the middle of the night and dump them in..... That part to me makes no since. OMC do you have ducks? Geese? Maybe they brought them in a couple of years ago???

Sorry guys, I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around how hard it would / dangerous it would be for someone to attempt this?? But maybe it's possible. The one thing I did not see I guess is how far the fence was from the pond? Maybe someone could have thrown them in?? If the fence is close enough.

RC

So am I. It's actually in my front yard and I have three big dogs.

The fence is 100 plus feet from the pond. Terry Bradshaw is from Shreveport, maybe it was him. lol

O
OP Offline
O
Sooo what is the plan now? 5 acre pond full of bass. You will never catch them all. And if you have 18 inch bass your gonna need 6 to 8 inch BG to help spawn... Ugghh what a mess. Let us know what you do OMC when you can.

RC

I am not sure what the plan is now.
I think that I am going to see if I can get some fish DNA tested to see what I have and then make a decision.

I believe that I have a pretty good population of larger BG, just no small ones.

O
OP Offline
O
Well I have one that nobody here has mentioned.

I have a buddy that has years of experience managing lakes and ponds and has been involved in the management of one of the most successful private lakes in Texas.
Look at his quote below.

Quote:
By the way, got any Kingfishers around? They're well known to "stock" water bodies that are devoid of fish. They populate other lakes by catching fish in stocked ponds and dropping in nearby ponds with fewer or no fish. Nature's way of expanding the ecosystem. Eggs on bird's feet doesn't happen. The above scenario does with great frequency.

For the record I have at least one Kingfisher that spends a great deal of time perched on the top of one of my feeders.

Anyone have a take on this?

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
No way.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
How long from the time the pond had water in it until it was stocked? That bass went 3 pounds....how large would it have been to be physically carried by a kingfisher? I think that bass was already good sized when it arrived.

Accidental drops of a small, impaled fish that probably didn't survive....I can see that.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
How long from the time the pond had water in it until it was stocked? That bass went 3 pounds....how large would it have been to be physically carried by a kingfisher? I think that bass was already good sized when it arrived.

Accidental drops of a small, impaled fish that probably didn't survive....I can see that.

Pond started filling up in November and it was stocked late May.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:31 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner