Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
5 members (Omaha, gautprod, catscratch, Theo Gallus, Lake8), 1,133 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
OMC, I've dealt with this same scenario for 2 years now. Infestation of both GSF, and small LMB, in my brood pond. I visually inspect and confirm all stocked fish, and I still have trespassers after the correct stocking of fish. After the initial shock, I realized it's not a game changer, and just requires a little management time. Luckily, the management time involves fishing and time on the water, and that was probably the initial goal to begin with.

I do not think those LMB came from a stocking, because the body condition just doesn't back that up. If they were 2-3" like most stocked CNBG, then those LMB grew 9" in 6-7 months. Their body shape almost guarantees that didn't happen. If they were much larger than the stocked CNBG, then it would have been very obvious, and Overton's would have resorted prior to delivery. I have absolutely no doubt about that fact.

One question that hasn't been asked, is how was the pond initially filled? And, was there any major rain event that caused a quick water level rise at any point? I've had water go over the spillway, and observed fry moving in as little as 1-2" of water. CNBG and LMB of any size, will follow a current.

This certainly isn't a game changer. You have approximately 4 months before any potential LMB nesting/spawning will occur, so you have plenty of time to correct this issue. Several of the guys on the forum rob nests to eliminate LMB spawns. IIRC, esshup does this, so maybe he can help with the particulars.

The main thing to remember is that ponds are dynamic and trespassers, water problems, aquatic vegetation, etc. are just the nature of the beast. You can get through this just fine.

Best of luck with all of this. Gotta go, the sun's up and it's almost seine time, Al

Last edited by FireIsHot; 12/06/14 08:17 AM. Reason: ADHD

AL

Regardless of whether the LMB appeared to be feeding or not, 2 LMB in 2 casts and OMC stopped because he broke a hook??? If it was my pond, I'd be working the banks to see if I could catch anymore. I hope it was just 2 that were dumped, but I'm not that optimistic. I tend to follow CJBS' thinking...maybe not a large number, just more than 2. I've never made a cast into my pond since stocking. This unfortunate occurrence has me thinking maybe I should try.

Last edited by stickem'; 12/06/14 08:18 AM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
As far as using the gate, what type of fence is in place? If I were trying to sneak in, using the gate would be my very last option. I would be looking for a remote corner of the pond, out of sight of the house if possible.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
At this point, energy is probably best spent on assessing what you've got and managing the situation.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Even a barb wire fence hasn't kept me out of places. Either under or over. Woven wire fence with a strand of barb wire on top? Those are easy to get over too.

Reducing LMB via nests:

I just keep an eye on the pond and when I see LMB starting to make nests, I fish them out. Males will guard the nests, and a live nightcrawler fished on 8-10 pound test line, no weight works VERY well. Use a #4 hook, slip it thru the crawler under the collar, and cast past the nest. Bring the crawler back so it drops into the nest and let it squirm around. The LMB can't resist picking it up, and once they taste it they don't spit it back out. Set the hook and remove the LMB. That method isn't the best for C&R as they ususlly are hooked deep, but it's perfect for catch and keep. Polarized glasses are a must for fishing that way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: RAH
At this point, energy is probably best spent on assessing what you've got and managing the situation.

Possibly, but I'm not sure I would begin tearing up the bathroom floor until I was sure I had the leak repaired. Would hate to have to do it all over again needlessly.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think potential causes have been presented.
1) In the pond all along.
2) Came in with the stockers.
3) Came in with flood water.
4) Dumped in by trespassers.
5) Dropped from heaven by birds.

Only the trespasser possibility is really one that would make me take action at this point (and it seems most likely based on the posts so far).

If the pond owner does not think bucket-stocking is a reasonable explanation, what other preventative action do you suggest?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
If it were me, I would continue to explore the possibilities while I fished the pond for an evaluation of its current inhabitants. We all seem to be leaning towards bucket stocking as the culprit, which to me means that it could happen again, if nothing is done.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Arthur Conan Doyle

T
T
I have just stocked a 3.5 acre pond using Overtons. I used Overtons because of their reputation and because of the CB LMB fry that will become available this coming spring (hopefully). After reading all that has been posted, I think I is possible these bass may be native to the Ark-La-Tex area. Native bass here can grow to at least 7 lbs if food is available. This may not be the desired fish wts for the future, but I don't think it is a disaster. If I understand it, the CB LMB can achieve wts of 15lbs + or - in the best situation. And if you breed the CB LMB with native LMB I would think you might still be able to produce a 10#+ LMB fishery using shocking and fishing by removing the males and numbers per acre. And may produce a more aggressive bite. It may not be a perfect world, but a pond full of 10+lmb is not a bad place either. I would want to do a shock asap if I had the money to do it. The more information I have makes me a better manager.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
From OMC:

I am sure that I had at least lots of CNBG a few months ago at my feeder. Though I am sure that I had lots of small ones and I am not sure how many FHM I have left. I do remember thinking back while it was still hot that I wasn't seeing them like I had been.Thanks [/quote]

This is the observation that makes me wonder whether previous unwanted stockings have also occurred. If additional fishing shows they have, then fixing that "leak" would be a pretty high priority with me.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/06/14 12:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think that's why it's so important to try and establish what's in the pond now, as well as pinning down how the undesirables arrived.

IF they were bucket stocked, what's to say that the next occurrence might not contain GSF, or BH, or WC? Perhaps they're already present?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Since Camelot Bell bass from Overton's has been mentioned in this thread, I added the acronym to the Abbreviation List in the Archives. CBFB = Camelot Bell Florida Bass.

The presence of some bass in this new pond may require stocking extra forage and/or modifying the forage plan in the spring after a better evaluation of the current fishery has been made. Todd Overton will be have some good advice about this based on OMC's goals of producing large bass.

IMO esshup has good advice and a good efficient method for removing male LMB from the spawning areas. Follow the method closely. I have two additions, 1. if the water is clear (3-6ft) reduce the line diameter to 6 lb test; 2. keep a low profile while angling. A low profile such as sitting down makes it harder for fish to see you and then they will come closer to shore and be more likely to eat the bait. When fishing from shore, catch rates improve significantly using a low profile such as sitting on the ground.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/06/14 12:32 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

J
J
From the looks of this mans photo.........he has a lot more bass in his pond than just the two he caught.

If this is the case and it probably is..........you can bet they have taken a toll on his forage base.

For those two bass to be that skinny, means they have been competing for food. There are probably 200-500 bass that size in this mans pond. If not more.

The fatheads have probably disappeared.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I agree that it looks like those two bass have been competing for food. Question is, where at? If they are very recent arrivals into his pond, the source of their poor condition probably lies elsewhere, in some other BOW.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I agree that it looks like those two bass have been competing for food. Question is, where at? If they are very recent arrivals into his pond, the source of their poor condition probably lies elsewhere, in some other BOW.

Bingo!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Bingo!

Ditto. Those aren't bass from a new pond that should have abundant forage. Someone took it upon themself to help your pond along. Wouldn't be the first time we've heard of this.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bass at this age (rather size) roam around in schools. If you were dropped in a strange place with a buddy, wouldn't you stick together?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I received the follow-up call from One More Cast, and it was reported that they caught around 100 bass from the pond. Can we theorize existing population based on this?? The fish were all within a few inches of each other. In my mind this effectively removes the possibility that the bass came mixed in with the baitfish load. We could feasibly miss one or two, but not this many, not a chance…

Its still a mystery. The pond started filling in Nov 2013, and it is my theory that some mature bass made it into the pond in time for the 2014 spring spawning season. If even a single pair of mature bass did spawn in spring, there could have been 1000s of fingerlings present when we introduced the baitfish in May. This would explain the absence of fathead minnows and small YOY bluegill, as well as the bass population, which appears to have hit a ceiling in a few months…

I am not sure if we will ever determine the source of this unintended introduction, but the bucket stocking theory holds most water right now…

Plan going forward may involve spring electro-shocking, we are discussing the options right now. Thanks for input everybody.

It's ALL about the fish!
Wow!!

I had no idea bass could grow that big in less than a year!

Thanks for the update!!

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd:

If that many are in there, I think you are right, that one pair pulled off a spawn. I agree with you, break out the electricity.

Bill, if there is enough food, fingerlings stocked in the Spring can be over 2# by the winter. I'd bet those LMB in the picture are at the most 1#.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Still learning here...So can you get them all with electro-shocking? You only need to miss two to have the same problem all over again. Right??

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity