Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, esshup, Boondoggle), 736 guests, and 164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 45 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 44 45
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another Saturday/Sunday in paradise.
Some more low 90's, alot more humidity. That, and my legs are feeling the burn and the bottoms of my feet are starting to look like bird's feet from life on a ladder. Nothing that ibuprofen can't fix.
-
Before:

-
After:

-
To look at it, it ain't much in a picture. To live it, it's like finishing a 5K marathon. I bet I was up and down the ladder over a hundred times. D'ski's knees are bum, so I try my best to handle as much of the climbing as possible. All those years and miles on the treadmill in the basement are paying back...at least for this old bod'.
-
The real ace is being above the window. The special measurements and cutting at the top and bottoms of the windows is a real pain and takes the most time...and the most trips. There is one more special issue to deal with as we head for the peak. There will be an attic vent fan and louver framed in just below the peak. Yeah, more special cuts, and these are gonna occur well above the tops of the fully extended 24' ladders. Can't wait (rolleyes)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
great progress b'ski.

devils advocate here....why not slap up the siding end to end the rest of the way, come back in and measure and cut out for the attic vent? the trim around the vent would hide any ugly cuts. some super stretch caulk around the vent would seal the deal.

i know i know, the lazy way aint yer way.....but i'm just sayin smile

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Hey is that a beautiful lake in that pic. Sure looks inviting !!! Be sure to step back and look at the forest and not just the tree right in front of you. Hanging your bare feet in the water off the pier will do wonders for sore feet. smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca

devils advocate here....why not slap up the siding end to end the rest of the way, come back in and measure and cut out for the attic vent? the trim around the vent would hide any ugly cuts. some super stretch caulk around the vent would seal the deal.

i know i know, the lazy way aint yer way.....but i'm just sayin smile

The lazy way IS my way, but it's gotta yield the correct result. Because the siding butts up against any frame and the juncture is caulked, I have to install a frame made of the same prefinished trim that I used to surround all the windows. This can be done after I adjust the framing from the inside (forgot to anticipate this need during framing, but will be no biggie, particularly since I get to work from the inside for once....but it will be hot up there). Once the hole is framed from the inside, I head back out to cut it open. Anyway, I envision another appearance by the scaffold, similar to this event.

I can pre-assemble the exterior frame, hit the scaffold, cut out the sheathing like a small window, and nail on the picture frame. While the scaffold is up, it should help logistics as I wrestle with the last few pieces of siding. (alright, well at least it sounds like I know what I'm doin')

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Hey is that a beautiful lake in that pic. Sure looks inviting !!! Be sure to step back and look at the forest and not just the tree right in front of you. Hanging your bare feet in the water off the pier will do wonders for sore feet. smile

The water temperature at the surface is like a hot bath. I'm not sure my throbbin' dogs are looking for more heat.
But....
Every morning, after my big ol' cup of caffeinated motivation, I go out around 6:30 and start laying out the day's plan in my head. First stop is up the stairs and over to the row of picture windows to look out over the pond as the sun (coming up directly behind me) is just starting to illuminate the trees at the far end of the pond. I usually say something to myself like "this is why I'm doin' this"

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Brettski, your efforts amaze me every time I read an update on this thread. Just incredible, bud! I'm always anxious when I see you've posted because I can't wait to see what's new - and that's probably how just about everyone on the forum feels! Congrats on the progress!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I'm always anxious when I see you've posted because I can't wait to see what's new - and that's probably how just about everyone on the forum feels! Congrats on the progress!

Absolutely true. Monday morning Brettski updates make Monday morning that much more tolerable.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Your place is an inspiration to anyone wanting to put a house or cabin on their own property. What's going to happen when your finished? A lot of people are going to miss these construction updates grin!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffreythree
Your place is an inspiration to anyone wanting to put a house or cabin on their own property.

It's a good way to see what can actually happen if a wife/husband team takes on virtually every aspect of the construction of a home (you will likely notice who takes top billing on the team...this is the first thing I learned). I surely hope it doesn't morph into a "how to get a divorce" manual. We will be working this thing for the next year and then some. I'm still reeling from how long lap siding installation actually takes.

Originally Posted By: jeffreythree
What's going to happen when your finished? A lot of people are going to miss these construction updates grin!

We're gonna watch you build your project !

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Awesome project.... you are certainly brave in doing it with your wife!!!

Where in Illinois? I'm in Bloomington.

Lunker
Lunker
Man is the only animal that can swim a mile, walk twenty miles, and then climb a tree. cool

Brettski is the only animal that will drive 3 hours, build a 5 acre pond, and then climb a ladder 10,000 times. whistle

Originally Posted By: Brettski
(forgot to anticipate this need during framing, but will be no biggie, particularly since I get to work from the inside for once....but it will be hot up there).

Nighttime, dude, nighttime.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Brettski is the only animal that will drive 3 hours, build a 5 acre pond, and then climb a ladder 10,000 times. whistle

You know you've been up and down a ladder too many times when you can hold a nail gun in the right hand, a caulk gun in the left hand, and walk up a 24' extension ladder without holding on.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bossone

Hey Bossone (is that Italian?)
Your tip of the hat for bravado would find more commonality in Donna-ski's camp...but thank you.
-
Regarding location, we keep 'em guessin'
Thanks for checkin' in

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Originally Posted By: Bossone

Hey Bossone (is that Italian?)

No I used to build and sell PC's and I called them BOSS computers.....Built On Superior Service... and the one just came with it, since I was #1 in service and quality smile

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

You know you've been up and down a ladder too many times when you can hold a nail gun in the right hand, a caulk gun in the left hand, and walk up a 24' extension ladder without holding on.

Be carefull Brettski.
In my work HSE/safety we see that a lot off acsidents hapens when people get so used to the work in potentialy risk situationes, that they think they are imune.
Statisticly this is where the higest number off acsidents or nearby so, ocures.

We all want to see your project finished so please, reserve one hand for your own safety at all times, and the other for the job.
Iff or when you need both hands on the job wear a safety harnes, no matter how small the job

Last edited by andedammen; 07/20/10 07:08 AM.

PAUL
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: andedammen

Be carefull Brettski....

As I get older, I would like to believe that I have become wiser. In reality, though, I move slower and have less energy to the extent that it causes me to think and focus just a little bit more. That, plus giving up booze 20 years ago...no more "hold my beer and watch this".
-
-
We used the early morning hours to get up inside the structure, up at the peak. We framed in the portal that will house the attic exhaust fan. By about 11 a.m., the stifling heat collecting at the peak confirmed our decision to install the fan as a winner. Yeow; smokin'.
-
We used the 2 ladders to fit and install siding pieces up to the bottom of the vent frame. Then, out comes the scaffold for another appearance.

I got up on the scaffold and Dski would hand me stuff thru the upstairs window.
-
-
Before we leave to come home, Dski surveys the weekend's progress.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Out-freakin-standing!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Out-freakin-standing!

A huge plus one!

I absolutely love the color scheme.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I absolutely love the color scheme.

Red shorts and yellow shirt?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
she was wearing a cedar colored 3-piece....I made her change for the photo shoot

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Angst, frustration, and one lousy day...
We went to the project for a standard Sat-Sun work weekend. We left Friday night, stayed overnight in our love nest, and got up bright and early on Saturday. As I always do, I had a plan and goal in my mind for each day's progress. By the end of Saturday, I was crushed. It had to be one of the worst karma days I have had in a long time. Nothing went right. Even Dski commented how badly I was off my game. Measure twice and cut 3 times would have been an improvement. Unfortunately, this poor performance was magnified by undertaking one the more difficult facets of the siding installation: manufacture and installation of the frames surrounding the 3 picture windows. I suppose this would not have been anywhere near as difficult as it turned out to be if I had not insisted on the entire frame to be one solid frame with all joints glued and biscuit joined. Well, it basically took all day, including caulking it in. In the end, it turned out pretty well, but....jeesh, what a project.
-

-
-
Sunday went a little better, but the sun comes over the top of the area we are working on around 1:00 and really cooks after we've already put in 5+ hours. We caulked in the siding we did manage to fit/install and called it a day. After Saturday, I accepted this a minor victory...OK, more like a draw.
-

-
The good news is that we have knocked out a difficult cut, fitting in the siding along the bottom edges of the window row. The last pain will be flashing and fitting the tops; next trip.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
your project is awesome! Congratulations!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
You're making progress Brettski and that is what matters. I know what it is like to try and make progress on a property being an absentee owner - it's difficult at best.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski, think of the big picture. For all the good/great days building the place you've had very few bad days. I think it's coming along great.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good progress and still on schedule to finish the outside by winter. I would say that is about as good as one could expect. Just be sure to have power and light inside so you can work there while its cold and wet. Put out a mineral block and some hay and watch the deer through the big window while it snows. Or put up a bird feeder and watch the cardinals red against the white snow. Both should make for some good pics to share.

Page 20 of 45 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails